Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any problems with my skycity idea?  (Read 2405 times)

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any problems with my skycity idea?
« on: August 30, 2010, 05:24:58 pm »

I haven't played in ages so before jumping into the new version answer me this. I already know about building a fort in the sky suspended by a single column. My question is creating farmable land in this sky fortress. Can I build the fortress of steel blocks and pump magma into it to create a magma/obsidian layer and make it muddy for crops? I want to breach this so called layer that kills your fort then remove the only way out of my self sufficient sky fort to keep it safe.

I'm going to experiment with paratroopers to battle the unleashed menace. Don't spoil it for me if that will work or not, field testing is required.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any problems with my skycity idea?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 05:36:40 pm »

I haven't played in ages so before jumping into the new version answer me this. I already know about building a fort in the sky suspended by a single column. My question is creating farmable land in this sky fortress. Can I build the fortress of steel blocks and pump magma into it to create a magma/obsidian layer and make it muddy for crops? I want to breach this so called layer that kills your fort then remove the only way out of my self sufficient sky fort to keep it safe.

I'm going to experiment with paratroopers to battle the unleashed menace. Don't spoil it for me if that will work or not, field testing is required.
Muddy obsidian will work.
Also, not all of the menaces are flying. Well... usually anyways.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 05:42:59 pm »

You can cast it from obsidian using the old water + magma method.

Or if you don't need it to be cast you can instead simply build the tower out of thousands and thousands of rock blocks.

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 05:55:03 pm »

I could tame other flying beasts like giant eagles and train them for war. I would need a healthy supply of breeding animals to sustain my invasion. Would be nice if I could breed them with dwarves.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 06:01:18 pm »

I could tame other flying beasts like giant eagles and train them for war. I would need a healthy supply of breeding animals to sustain my invasion. Would be nice if I could breed them with dwarves.
First thoughts: WTF is wrong with you?
Next: Hmmm.... Kinky.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 06:06:29 pm »

Can I build the fortress of steel blocks and pump magma into it to create a magma/obsidian layer and make it muddy for crops?

Awesome.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 07:09:26 pm »

Can I build the fortress of steel blocks

Theoretically, yes. In practice, any fortress of sufficient size is going to run short of fuel or coke or iron, although probably not flux.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 07:17:32 pm »

Theoretically, yes. In practice, any fortress of sufficient size is going to run short of fuel or coke or iron, although probably not flux.
You'd be VERY hard pressed to run out of iron. Especially with traders.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 07:59:58 pm »

You'd be VERY hard pressed to run out of iron. Especially with goblins.

Fixed.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 08:21:08 pm »

I suppose if you builid the farm over an existing mountain, then build around it, and add it to your sky ship.

Then cut under it, and it should be floating, due to connection with the rest of the floor about it.

Yeah..? O-o
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 08:40:22 pm »

I wouldn't build it based on a single support, but rather a wall, unless you actually want a single crappy troll to be able to smash your entire fortress of steel blocks.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 09:23:09 pm »

Although the capacity to bring the entire thing crashing down onto a single ogre's head sounds appealing. As a self-destruct lever.

One issue I foresee is that subterranean plants won't grow in outside tiles (which your sky-farm will be, even if covered) and above ground plants won't grow on anything but soil, which your sky-fortress will not have, presumably.STUPID STUPID DUMB

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 01:14:37 am »

I suppose if you builid the farm over an existing mountain, then build around it, and add it to your sky ship.

Then cut under it, and it should be floating, due to connection with the rest of the floor about it.

Yeah..? O-o

I like this idea... you could have two farming sections this way, one for indoor and one for outdoor plants. Your dwarves can drink sunshine and munch +plump helmet roasts+ in the steel underbelly of their floating home!

Also, be sure to write "FUCK YOU, PHYSICS" on the side. Preferably in ice walls.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 02:22:09 am »

Yeah..? O-o

I like this idea... you could have two farming sections this way, one for indoor and one for outdoor plants. Your dwarves can drink sunshine and munch +plump helmet roasts+ in the steel underbelly of their floating home!

Also, be sure to write "FUCK YOU, PHYSICS" on the side. Preferably in ice walls.

This.

I would love to see this in a sky city. Then when you're in a skycity, proceed to battle Fun from above. Bonus points for testing Science.
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 03:45:06 am »

I have heard a rumour that if you create obsidian at the Top Of The Sky then it can attach itself to heaven, and be supported without contact with the ground.

...this may or may not be true, since I have never managed to get magma and water up that high, let alond get them into contact, considering that you can't build walls on the top level.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: [1] 2