Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you defend your fortress?

Dwarves and axes only. Sparta style.
- 10 (18.9%)
Traps, either mundane or massively complex.
- 43 (81.1%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Defense Strategy  (Read 1502 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Defense Strategy
« on: August 30, 2010, 02:39:46 pm »

How do you defend your fortress?

I prefer the mobile military version myself. Its a very flexible means to defend your fortress and can deal with all threats.

However sometimes I do just like relying on utterly excessive highly complex machinery to do the job for me. I can't decide.  :(

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Defense Strategy
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 02:44:32 pm »

spartans didn't use axes.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 02:48:44 pm »

Dwarves with spears?

Madness!   >:(

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 02:57:00 pm »

traps, 20 axe dwarfs and 10 range.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 03:13:40 pm »

You forgot 2 options:
c) Yes.
d) No.

Alternately these could read:
c) All of the Above.
d) Watchu Talkin' 'bout Willis?!?!?

To date, I'd have to go with Option D.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 03:51:46 pm »

Option 3: All of the above and more.

Darkcrystal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 03:58:02 pm »

For above ground threats:

I use a series of walkways and archer tower to defend against anything that can't shoot back. For the ones that can I make them walk through a twisting passageway with ballistas at the end of each hallway and a series of dwarf atom smashers, cage traps, animal bait and weapons traps after all that. If they get through all of that(highly unlikely) I still have my drowning chamber within my fortress and a pitfall trap connected to levers inside my barracks. If they somehow survive the pitfall I put in stonefall traps and another ballista at the exit as well.

For underground threats:

I have 4 bridges with one on top of the other in which any enemy will have to walk through and I can pull it out from under their feet to make them fall 5-9 stories down till they hit the ground. For the flying enemies I make a room after the bridges with a magma and water trap and since there is a ceiling on top it'll make them come down to the ground where I can pull the various lever and trap it in a room and fill it with magma and then water from the top in-casing them in solid obsidian.

Of course I also set up detection animals all alone the entrances and exit to watch for ambushes way before they get anywhere close.

Needless to say all I really worry about is internal threat to my fortress like tantrum spirals and such.

Of course for everything else that doesn't go to my fortress I also have 2 archer squad(1 legendary) and 2 melee squad(1 legendary) to chase and kill anything that could get through everything.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 04:07:28 pm »

I noticed one of your options was "mundane or massively complex". I'm sending a formal request to have that replaced with "needlessly complex and overcomplicated"

Darkcrystal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 04:14:44 pm »

I noticed one of your options was "mundane or massively complex". I'm sending a formal request to have that replaced with "needlessly complex and overcomplicated"

I second that cause massively complex is where all the fun is. Just like the old board game I use to play.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 04:44:14 pm »

I tend to alternate between the two.  Its either all traps or all military, but if I do one I usually don't do the other.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 05:06:11 pm »

Can a fortress support both at once? O_o

I mean, it's simply dwarfysics. You either have dwarfs swinging the sharp sticks, or you have them installing them in the ground. Is there enough dwarfpower for both at once?
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 05:42:09 pm »

I mean, it's simply dwarfysics. You either have dwarfs swinging the sharp sticks, or you have them installing them in the ground. Is there enough dwarfpower for both at once?

Yes.

However it is problematic as the dwarves swinging sharp sticks usually end up impaled on the sharp sticks from the ground.

Darkcrystal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 05:43:48 pm »

when you get to like 180 dwarf in a fortress most of them just sit around with their finger up their butt so why not draft them into the military. For early on I suggest making traps(stone-fall or player made) until you get a high enough population for a military.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 06:09:35 pm »

With 180 adult dwarves I still don't have enough haulers. :(

My mega projects must be very, very mega.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 06:23:13 pm »

i use to use traps but then i got bord so now im useing the military
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed
Pages: [1] 2