Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Operation Mountainhollow  (Read 1621 times)

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
Operation Mountainhollow
« on: August 30, 2010, 12:07:19 pm »

My current project is to hollow out a mountain volcano and build a dwarven city inside out of obsidian.
Here is a stonesense screenshot of the whole mountain. Warning, its a huge image. From the top of the volcano to the floor of the valley is exactly 75 z levels. The photo's size is 7.6 megabytes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My current problem is the shear time it takes to designate everything to be dugout without digging out any of the natural outer part of the mountain. I've currently dugout only 7 tiles of the mountainside: 6 tiles for the entrance and 1 dugout by accident. My current fps is 45, but I haven't even dugout a complete z level. My original plan was to dig out a small vertical portion to house temporary furnishings while my dwarves worked, but I just ended up building outside instead.

The main reason for posting this is I'm interested to know if anyone has a way to create a dfhack utility to designate all unrevealed tiles on a level to be dugout as up/down staircases. This would speed up my work immensly. Thanks in advance.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Mountainhollow
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 12:27:39 pm »

It won't work. Once you dig out the obsidian 'plug', the magma will almost-immediatly refill freshly emptied level. However, this being DF, don't let that fact stop you  :D

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 01:09:41 pm »

It won't work. Once you dig out the obsidian 'plug', the magma will almost-immediatly refill freshly emptied level. However, this being DF, don't let that fact stop you  :D
I wasn't planning on submerging it in magma. I 'm leaving the volcano tube intact. For now.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 03:54:31 pm »

dig upward ramps instead of channeling

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 08:05:51 pm »

dig upward ramps instead of channeling
I'm digging updown stairs because I want to dig from the bottom.

csebal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 05:10:27 am »

Is that a 4x4 embark? It seems to be. Awesome location to look at really :) How deep is the map? that is.. how many levels are there below the ground level?

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 09:11:30 am »

Its 4x4, if not 5x4 to include some feature. I was originally looking for sand, volcano and water source. The depth from ground level is 194.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 10:30:50 am »

To sort of solve your designation issue, it's best to designate the entire level to be dug out and then go back and undesignate just the edges level by level. Still slow, but a lot faster.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 06:26:15 am »

Update: I have dug out one level, but around 10 hours of 5 fps hauling and The dwarves haven't finished dumping the stone. Anyone have any ideas to help with the dumping?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 07:32:25 am »

Are your dwarves speed 0? If you mod the rocks to vaporize at 10,000 dwarf-degrees, will your operation be irrevocably compromised (it probably will be if the wrong rocks are in your pumps)?

I only have modding suggestions I'm afraid. Don't forget to turn off the temp and weather if you haven't already.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 07:33:24 am »

Well, if you don't want to *keep* the stone for later, you could always (carefully) tap the magma pipe (dig a drain with magma-proof hatch and mechanism leading down to magma sea) and let all the non-magmasafe stone melt away.  Since the pipe runs the height of your fort, you could tap it at each level.

No guarantees about poor Urist McUnluckyMiner who gets to dig open the pipe on each level though.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 07:47:55 am »

For a non-modding/reduced wastage solution, build a bunch of masons workshops & turn them into stone blocks, & maybe build a couple of magma forges so that metal ores can be turned into bins to hold the blocks of the other rocks.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 08:00:38 am »

Just dump it into the volcano. That way, even the magma-safe stone will go away once it hits SMR.

Drop a floor tile down the volcano too, so you can see the sea.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 12:21:28 pm »

Don't dump the stone. Just vaporize it. In the amounts necessary to actually dent your FPS (I'll say 50k and higher, but it's still not even that big of a chunk at that level), loose stone is impossible to clear naturally, or even with SPEED:0 dwarves. Leave it or steam it out.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 12:24:45 pm »

Bonus points if you make your main hall around the volcano and then encase the volcano in glass (Remove the obsidian as well, of course)
Pages: [1] 2