Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48

Author Topic: Warcamp: A tribes-like competitive wargame  (Read 39061 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Warcamp: A tribes-like competitive wargame
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2010, 08:34:45 pm »

casualties from war have been changed from half CE to a third CE and also destroy buildings;
All was right except this, you're looking at the raiding portion. It was always like that.

Also, the stockpiles reduce consumption by 10 rather than 5.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2010, 08:39:01 pm »

It says you have 5 level 5 members with a number from 1-10.

What does level do then?

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2010, 08:41:03 pm »

It says you have 5 level 5 members with a number from 1-10.

What does level do then?
Level=effectiveness

Just a term I've been using.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2010, 08:43:18 pm »

Then what's the 2-10 for?
Are they both effectiveness?

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2010, 08:45:09 pm »

Uhh...if the kobold's CE is multiplied then you wouldn't need to round at all. (when stealing with them)
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2010, 09:02:04 pm »

Uhh...if the kobold's CE is multiplied then you wouldn't need to round at all. (when stealing with them)
Indeed... a leftover from the previous rules. I'll squelch that out.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2010, 09:13:31 pm »

Then what's the 2-10 for?
Are they both effectiveness?
2 through 10 and any number in between represent a unit's effectiveness.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2010, 08:17:41 am »

Hookay... I'll start as soon as I get the race and subleaders of Rolan7 and techno65535.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2010, 10:14:15 am »

My tribe of kobolds is called the Green Slivers.  They are led by the warlord Bitter-Ear.  A trog cut off one of his ears.  He ate that trog.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2010, 01:29:20 pm »

You should set a time limit on that Shad0w. Give them 24 hours or so to show up, if not, pull from the waiting list.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2010, 04:19:40 pm »

You should set a time limit on that Shad0w. Give them 24 hours or so to show up, if not, pull from the waiting list.
Yeah, I'll put up that warning.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2010, 06:19:41 pm »

I really enjoyed reading through this. Had a few thoughts that might balance things out a bit / make pleyers more cautious:

- Make higher leveled tribals consume more food per turn. Typically speaking, the more productive/badass members of the tribe got the most and the best food, while the more useless members got the scraps. Just divide their level by two and round up, and use the result to determine how much they consume.

- I like that "Your weakest tribe-members die first" when starving, but techbically it should be your oldest members. Give a generation for each member. Your starting five are Generation 1, any born on the next breeding are Generation 2, and so on. This should limited how many tribals they use for breeding (since more per generation means a greater loss while starving), and it can cause you to lose higher level members to something other than the Bolt spell.

- Roll more than twice for levels on new tribals, if applicable. If you've got six newborns, and you only roll twice, you have a 1 in 10 chance of getting three level tens. That's just the start of possible crazy.

- Add a failure chance for hunting. Seriously, hunting could go wrong and lose you some tribals.

- Come up with a way to force players to do more than "turtle" in their camps. Currently, you can just have a good chunk of your low-level guys breed every-turn, while you high level guys do nothing but hunt (bringing in ever increasing amounts of meat and bones) while your shaman uses his massive bone pile to cast flaming death at everyone else. My suggestions will probably help with that (making the above strategy a bit riskier, and with less reward), but you might want to tweak some of the other formulas as well.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2010, 06:48:45 pm »

- Make higher leveled tribals consume more food per turn. Typically speaking, the more productive/badass members of the tribe got the most and the best food, while the more useless members got the scraps. Just divide their level by two and round up, and use the result to determine how much they consume.
This might be a good plan. I'll write that in my future changes txt.
- I like that "Your weakest tribe-members die first" when starving, but techbically it should be your oldest members. Give a generation for each member. Your starting five are Generation 1, any born on the next breeding are Generation 2, and so on. This should limited how many tribals they use for breeding (since more per generation means a greater loss while starving), and it can cause you to lose higher level members to something other than the Bolt spell.
This could cause some complexity in the stat fields, it is interesting though... added.
- Roll more than twice for levels on new tribals, if applicable. If you've got six newborns, and you only roll twice, you have a 1 in 10 chance of getting three level tens. That's just the start of possible crazy.
I made it two rolls for a reason, so I don't have to roll an excessive amount of times. Besides, possible crazy is fun.
- Add a failure chance for hunting. Seriously, hunting could go wrong and lose you some tribals.
Definitely going in the next game. Thanks.
- Come up with a way to force players to do more than "turtle" in their camps. Currently, you can just have a good chunk of your low-level guys breed every-turn, while you high level guys do nothing but hunt (bringing in ever increasing amounts of meat and bones) while your shaman uses his massive bone pile to cast flaming death at everyone else. My suggestions will probably help with that (making the above strategy a bit riskier, and with less reward), but you might want to tweak some of the other formulas as well.
Your suggestions should alleviate that. Thank you.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2010, 06:56:15 pm »

The goblin tribe led by the war-general Ugh-Gob shall defeat all others!
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2010, 07:25:20 pm »

Good then. Starting player is 3, techno!

Spoiler: Rolan7 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: eclipsetail (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: techno65535 (click to show/hide)

All start with 5 level 5s instead of the randomness in the first. There will still be plenty of random stuff this game however.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48