Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Grand Mountainhome  (Read 4388 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Grand Mountainhome
« on: August 29, 2010, 03:01:41 pm »

I'm working on a massive Dwarven citadel carved into the side of a mountain.  It's going to stand 26 stories tall, carved into a mountain (which peaks at about 36 stories) and overlooking a very flat plain.  The map has plenty of copper and tin, iron, no flux, gold, silver, somewhat limited Funninite.  The first cavern is very open with only a few columns, making for some nice beaches, and the second cavern is not only claustrophobic as normal, but also completely dry, meaning nothing but blood thorns.  But I need help on this one:

I have 26 floors of mountainhome to fill.  I only have ideas for six floors right now.  I'd like to possibly do something that involves pumping water up from the first cavern (a reflecting pool?), maybe doing the same with magma to re-locate the forges up...  but I don't want to make any of this just ordinary stuff.  I want something really cool for the new dining room, maybe some kind of multi-level temple, but I've done so many big projects like this, I want ideas from other people so I don't end up just putting 15 floors of engraved sculpture gardens.

The 26th floor is the royal segment, with a massive throne room, two large (yet unfilled) 5x17 statuary halls with alcoves in the wall for statues, two 10x5 halls, two odd-shaped rooms (which will probably become a banquet hall and a private zoo), and four smaller, 5x5 rooms that will possible be either bedrooms or artifact display rooms.

The 25th floor is going to hold a magma reservoir so the throne room has magma pools, and some sort of tombs.

The 24th floor is going to hold rooms sealed by magma in some fashion.

The 23rd floor is going to hold the noble quarters.

The 6th floor holds 114 common quarters.

The 5th floor holds 82 common quarters and a yet undetermined number of common graves (currently 6).

The 4th floor holds 116 common quarters.

The 3rd floor holds 99 common quarters and 2 small statue gardens.

The 2nd floor is the primary barracks and medical floor.

The 1st floor is for goods: masonry and carpentry shops, trade good storage, the jewelers vault, and a quick response barracks for the Miners Guild unit (which is where the miners will go once they finish digging out the structure).

Unassigned:
-2-level zoo
-Vault

Progress:
17/26 stories carved
9/26 stories assigned

Screenshot repository:
Pre-dwarf mountain
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Before starting the mountainhome proper, trimming out a space for it to sit in
The mountainhome begins to emerge
More progress
A screenshot taken just to give some scale to exactly how much rock has been removed
The royal segment
The noble segment (note: this sits directly beneath the royalty.  May be partly or entirely scrapped to make way for a magma reservoir.
Common housing
First floor, workshop level.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:42:24 am by shadowform »
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Grand Mountainhome
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 03:11:11 pm »

Crypt layer for nobles, 3x3 to 9x9 fully smoothed and engraved, with personal items and pre-assigned
Crypt layer for commons, little 1x1 notched carved beside the path to everywhere else, no pre-assigning
Storeyard layers, need to have EVERYTHING inside yknow? 1-3 depending on your needs
Magma Crypts for Champions, just for awesomeness... 2layers
Kings layer, his needs are THAT great... everything must be an artifact of some sort, replaced with more valueable peices as they come, magma tomb, magma throne room with metal supports to hold up this massive room paved with (most valuable metal you have), personal waterfall in dining room; this is so massive I plan at least 5 layers, just for more epicness

Hope I helped!

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 03:53:23 pm »

What, exactly, is a 'Magma Tomb'?

I do like the idea of ripping out the existing noble quarters and putting a giant iron reservoir in its place, though...  although there would be some problems pumping magma up from the magma sea, in that there aren't really any straight vertical paths through both caverns that are large enough to accomodate.  Still, I think I can make it work.

As for the storeyard layers, I think you're misunderestimating the sheer size of this thing.  I'm gonna put some Stonesense shots up in the first post.

The concept of a 'Magma Tomb' does intrigue me, though.  What exactly does a 'magma tomb' entail?

Also: I just imported a barrel of "Cat n/a" from a human merchant.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 03:58:48 pm »

make one room based for piercing the HFS.

catch one demon for every floor you lack ideas for, being sure to floor the pits over afterward.

construct thematic demon rooms.

???

profit.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 04:00:13 pm »

build everything in the tomb out of something magma-safe (or don't), and then flood it with magma.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 04:05:18 pm »

build everything in the tomb out of something magma-safe (or don't), and then flood it with magma.

Completely and utterly graverobber safe. Just a suggestion, you could have the tombs on pillars of native rock surrounded by a pool of magma. Means you can still see the tombs but, again, they're completely safe from harm.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 04:06:52 pm »

make one room based for piercing the HFS.

catch one demon for every floor you lack ideas for, being sure to floor the pits over afterward.

construct thematic demon rooms.

???

profit.
1. FPS death
2. Creatures trapped in rooms won't persist through to adventurer mode, they are relocated to a random spot
3. Would require a method of separating demons
4. Would require a massive system of tunnels to channel clowns from the clowncar over to the clowncage, which is admittedly doable.

But no, I'm not connecting the Mountainhome to the Clownhome.  I do like the idea of demon-themed rooms (maybe a specific statue room dedicated to demonic figures?) though.

Ooooh...  and that'll give me a nice use for the level beneath the reservoir: magma-safe hatches in the floor open to allow magma to flood into the magma tombs.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 04:19:33 pm »

You need a floor for goblinite clothing. It REALLY piles up. Also add a floor for..... Elven aggravation (Yeah. Flood it with water, and chop down 100+ trees yearly).
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 07:37:59 pm »

No settlement is a true mountainhome until it boasts a soaring cathedral to a fitting dwarven god. Or possibly to the entire pantheon, with separate chapels for each god within the setting.

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 08:29:00 pm »

a Colosseum arena with ramps leading to 2x1 corridors to hold goblin/scary animal cages and a hole in the roof, the level above cold be a shooting gallery or a viewing place, and then the level above that contains the victims of the goblins/scary animals, whom are pitted down 2 levels, to fly screaming past the marksdwarves/punters into the scary animals/goblin pit,where they are simultaneously released, or released in waves to double the view time!
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 09:10:39 pm »

Have a Minas Tirith-style outer wall. Out on the plains, have a huge semi-circle of an outer wall extending from the mountain, with positions for archers to fire from. Then construct smaller more defended walls further in, until you have one highly defended wall just a tiny bit away from your main fortress. Bonus points if you add a moat of magma outside each wall.

As for the inside, you could have a huge chapel area made of some rare metal like gold, complete with a huge reflecting pool that reflects some statue of one of your fortresses gods. Other ideas include a huge training arena, and my favorite, another Lord of the Rings inspired theme, something like the Mines of Moria.

Turn your mining areas into a huge thing of beauty, fill the mines with workshops and homes and such for the poorer dwarves to live in (maybe migrants who can't afford housing in the main fortress?) and have a gigantic bridge stationed over a chasm that leads to a portal to the underworld. Super bonus points if you can get your mines overrun by demons or goblins.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 11:16:39 pm »

You need a floor for goblinite clothing. It REALLY piles up. Also add a floor for..... Elven aggravation (Yeah. Flood it with water, and chop down 100+ trees yearly).
:( no elves, and I just hock the goblin crap to the human and dwarven caravans that come by.

No settlement is a true mountainhome until it boasts a soaring cathedral to a fitting dwarven god. Or possibly to the entire pantheon, with separate chapels for each god within the setting.
The home itself is basically a giant citadel, but I do like the idea of a main temple structure with smaller chapels to the individual gods.  Or at least to the ones I manage to get statues of.

Have a Minas Tirith-style outer wall. Out on the plains, have a huge semi-circle of an outer wall extending from the mountain, with positions for archers to fire from. Then construct smaller more defended walls further in, until you have one highly defended wall just a tiny bit away from your main fortress. Bonus points if you add a moat of magma outside each wall.

As for the inside, you could have a huge chapel area made of some rare metal like gold, complete with a huge reflecting pool that reflects some statue of one of your fortresses gods. Other ideas include a huge training arena, and my favorite, another Lord of the Rings inspired theme, something like the Mines of Moria.

Turn your mining areas into a huge thing of beauty, fill the mines with workshops and homes and such for the poorer dwarves to live in (maybe migrants who can't afford housing in the main fortress?) and have a gigantic bridge stationed over a chasm that leads to a portal to the underworld. Super bonus points if you can get your mines overrun by demons or goblins.
Ergh.  I just got done building walls.  The mountainhome is situated in a large valley surrounded by mountains on three sides and with a 3 EMBARK WIDE wall made from marble blocks on the third side.  Even so, though, I DID say 'give me suggestions'....  I'll do what there's room for, but I already have a kind of plan for how the defenses are going to work.

As for turning mining tunnels into housing...  what mining tunnels?  I've carved 55,000 rocks out of this mountain so far.  I have 10 furnace operators working on a backlog of ore that'll provide me with another 100 nickel, 120 gold, 110 silver, 170 lead (and statistically, another 80 silver), 750 zinc, 2200 (!!) tin, 1650 coke, 50 bismuth, and 340 iron.  I still have another 14 layers to go, PLUS the interior excavation, PLUS the outer defenses.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 02:30:41 am »

Supersize everything you have planned by making the floors 4 z lvl high each.

Syreniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 05:22:32 am »

Some ideas off the top of my head:

1. A safari park with one of every animal in the entire world in. Not a zoo with them all in cages, but a single level for them to roam freely in, and some glass walkways for dwarves to come and gawk at all the weird and wonderful animals.

2. A hall of records filled with row after row of cast obsidian walls all covered with engravings, and with the mechanics set up to make more walls once you have covered it all.

3. A vault that takes up a whole level in which you place all the artifacts and other shiny things that you dig up and make.

4. A massive cathedral to Armok complete with a central altar made out of kitten bone blocks (You can do it with modding, I've tried) and a sacrificial pit for all the goblins and/or nobles you capture.

5. A labyrinth complete with Minotaur.

6. Your own customized hell, made from magma and obsidian and stained with the blood of all the unwanted dwarven children your fortress produces, along with all the nobles and soapmakers you have.

7. And a swimming pool.

Oxinabox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 07:06:22 am »

Some ideas off the top of my head:

1. A safari park with one of every animal in the entire world in. Not a zoo with them all in cages, but a single level for them to roam freely in, and some glass walkways for dwarves to come and gawk at all the weird and wonderful animals.

2. A hall of records filled with row after row of cast obsidian walls all covered with engravings, and with the mechanics set up to make more walls once you have covered it all.
Those are awesome ideas.
2's really only feasible if you hit a godlike engraver (I'm not sure what combination of Legendairy+5 engraving an skills triggers it, but i had an engraver who did masterwork (and thus historical) engravings everytime.)
I'm not sure about why you would want to obsian cast more walls, but sure, i can think of numerous cool ways to do that.

Since t's a mountab ho9me, it needs accomadation for proper number of dwarves,
I'ld go for: (*but you won't, since you've already got this covered)

basic accomadation (for say 500 dwarves...) as (over three layers)

Bed room - chest, cabinet, bed. so 3x3 (for symetry)
with a office/foyer, entrancing to it. I would put the armour and weapon racks here close to the door, also here the stair well to
above the private dining room for the resident. Complete with own food and booze piles, and extra chairs and tables for guests.
and below it, private bathroom. containing soap, and well.

For military a better similar bathroom with an added shower function. Pull leaver, unleash 4/7 water from roof. to remove 50 kinds of blood.

mutiple layers of dungeiosn.
From dwarven luxury and relaxation suite - for maxium rehabitation a enjoyable attmoshere is advised. complete with platinum table, throne, masterwork engravings etc.
Ranging down to hell suite: floored with grates, looking down on the the schorching lava blow.
at a pull of a lever, water falls from the ceiling (conviently washing way any ... stains), into the lava below, sending plumes of scorching steam
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:11:35 am by Oxinabox »
Pages: [1] 2