Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 97424 times)

Xegeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #630 on: October 28, 2010, 12:13:06 pm »

There's no official releases yet, so you'll need to use svn. The game is at http://crimelike.svn.sourceforge.net/, and you can find the readme at http://crimelike.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/crimelike/readme.txt?revision=31&view=markup

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #631 on: October 28, 2010, 12:16:25 pm »

I was rather thinking of having a detective mystery simulator where there's a medium-sized town with a whole bunch of radiant-style AI, and two human players. One is a serial killer that gets computer-assigned MOs that they must fulfill, and the other player is the detective who has to question NPCs to find the killer.

The neat thing is, there would be human observers who would be able to say things to the killer, with a mask that distorts it into groans and whispers. The brilliant part is, no matter what the observers say, it'd be totally in character for voices a serial killer hears.

Each game would be saved, particularly highlights, could be played back later. So, naturally, killers will try to set up complicated and bizzare plots, and detectives will try to do awesome things because if they do well, everyone will want to see the video.

It's important to note that there would be a strong narrative causality system, so that if it's two minutes in and the detective happens to run into the murder and whips his revolver out, there's a 99% chance it'll jam or miss, but if the detective just suprised the killer after tracking him for twenty minutes, beat him down with fencepost, and went for a cue-de-gra (or however it's spelled) on the murderer while he's down, then it doesn't matter how many HP he has, it's over.

I don't know how any of that could apply outside of the serial killer class. Maybe a Vigilantie class?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 28, 2010, 12:20:08 pm »

I was rather thinking of having a detective mystery simulator where there's a medium-sized town with a whole bunch of radiant-style AI, and two human players. One is a serial killer that gets computer-assigned MOs that they must fulfill, and the other player is the detective who has to question NPCs to find the killer.

The neat thing is, there would be human observers who would be able to say things to the killer, with a mask that distorts it into groans and whispers. The brilliant part is, no matter what the observers say, it'd be totally in character for voices a serial killer hears.

Each game would be saved, particularly highlights, could be played back later. So, naturally, killers will try to set up complicated and bizzare plots, and detectives will try to do awesome things because if they do well, everyone will want to see the video.

It's important to note that there would be a strong narrative causality system, so that if it's two minutes in and the detective happens to run into the murder and whips his revolver out, there's a 99% chance it'll jam or miss, but if the detective just suprised the killer after tracking him for twenty minutes, beat him down with fencepost, and went for a cue-de-gra (or however it's spelled) on the murderer while he's down, then it doesn't matter how many HP he has, it's over.

I don't know how any of that could apply outside of the serial killer class. Maybe a Vigilantie class?

Holy crap that sounds awesome.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 02, 2010, 01:15:10 am »

Here's a missed opportunity for you.

The guys who made The Ship just released another game called Bloody Good Time... Except apparently they've shut down... so... I'm not really sure how that worked.  In any case it seemed at first like a sort of multiplayer slasher flick game but as it turns out it's just a consolized version of The Ship with only 3 levels that are each smaller than most of the levels in The Ship.  Instead of making you a random character with random clothes there are 8 distinct characters that you can choose from.  Oddly everyone can pick the same character, so it seems to serve little purpose other than to simplify the disguise system.  The changeable clothes have been removed, and now instead of changing your clothes to avoid being found by your hunter you go to a disguise closet which changes you into another one of the characters for 30 seconds.  Instead of finding weapons and items in closets and containers you collect them from glowing spawn points that they float above with their Fame For Kills value floating above that.  Instead of earning money for kills (currency and shops have been removed completely) you earn fame, which is just points that determine the winner of the match.  Now there are only three needs for the character and a lot fewer ways to fulfill them.  Instead of an inventory you get to carry four weapons and four "Murder-Aids" which are items that don't deal damage directly but instead aid in murdering through immobilization of your target or just steal fame from them.  The few actual additions to the game are the aforementioned murder aids, the fact that the three levels that are in the game are actually a bit more varied individually than the much larger variety of levels in The Ship with their addition of traps you can trigger by pressing bright red buttons, and the fact that the weapons are now a bit more varied in function with some that can insta-kill from behind.  You can also instantly kill someone who's fulfilling a need.

It's really kind of a shame the game turned out the way it did, because the premise gave it such potential.  Basically the characters are competing for a part in a slasher flick.  It wouldn't have been far off for the characters to actually be in a slasher flick with someone trying to off them and they had to work together to survive.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

dmgpurity

• Bay Watcher
  • Mew! *Boom*
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 05, 2010, 08:21:21 pm »

Time for a status update:

Personally, most of my time until the November 5th or so will be spent with a big thing I gotta do at work, so not much amazing will be coming from me until then. It's been rough on this end and I took some of my free time recently to take a break from coding and crush Fallout: New Vegas into the dust.

Codewise, this is a lull. I'm waiting for the next version of the T-Engine to come out so I can do more stuff with layers and furniture. Furniture should most definitely be better supported in the next engine and I also think that I might be able to get the layered player sprites to work so that we can mix and match people sprites, as well as represent players equipping different equipment graphically. The last part might have to wait a bit longer, we'll see.

Xegeth has been the only other one doing the harder coding work and his inventory system works great. I haven't really heard from any of the other coders. Nenjin brought in a coder friend who sounds competent, but is looking for a very focused area to work in. I have not yet figured out what would be best to set him loose on.

I can't remember who said they were going to do something with the AI, but I've heard nothing from anyone about it and the only AI I see is the little I've done.

Graphical tiles are still being made and we have a huge amount of items, loot and weapons. We could probably use more mundane items and decorative world objects, but most importantly we still need more plots and unique maps. Luckily, making maps is still probably the easiest job anyone can do. Don't worry too much about furniture objects for now. Kudos to everyone who's been keeping the tile database updated when adding new tiles. That is really going to help out.
Is the T-Engine still being developed?
My very first adventurer was beaten to death with his own sock.
Dwarf Fortress: Lead socks.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 05, 2010, 08:23:28 pm »

Yep, all the time. New version comes out about every couple of weeks and the SVN is updated even more often.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 07, 2010, 06:32:30 pm »

Woo, T-Engine 4 beta 13 is out!
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 20, 2010, 08:23:34 pm »

b14 is actually out now. Unfortunately, both b13 and b14 have a bug that is absolutely crippling my startup times. It's taking many minutes to load in if it does at all. It's really annoying. I was mostly waiting until b14 came out to resume coding, but it doesn't seem like the problem is yet fixed. Here's hoping for a quick fix.

DarkGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 21, 2010, 08:55:18 am »

If the get news is slowing you down you can comment out line 92 of game/engines/default/modules/boot/class/Game.lua .
You can also run your module directly from the command line BTW this is even faster:
t-engine -Mcrime
You can add a -ufoo option to name your character "foo" and a -n option to force a new character

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 21, 2010, 04:14:27 pm »

b15 is now out.  Woo.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 22, 2010, 01:33:16 pm »

Commenting out that line doesn't change the problem. Using the comandline option has worked since b13 though everything seems less responsive.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 01:34:49 pm by Lap »

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: December 03, 2010, 05:42:56 pm »

Is something wrong with the forums? All I'm getting on Firefox is "Document contains no data"

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: December 03, 2010, 06:48:44 pm »

Oh noes. The forum server is down! Lap will have to come around and fix it.

Speaking of which, I really should get back into making some graphics. Minecraft and real life distracted me badly. How's the coding coming along? Did the AI coding guy ever finish?

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: December 14, 2010, 03:54:16 am »

Is this dead, or what?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: December 14, 2010, 04:56:13 am »

This sounded cool until you reached the last paragraph.  If the detective stumbles upon the murderer and shoots him, tough luck.  The game shouldn't warp reality to continue it, and it definitely shouldn't force-kill the murderer like that.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 48