Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 97428 times)

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #615 on: October 22, 2010, 08:25:13 pm »

This sounds awesome, are you still working on it?
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 22, 2010, 09:10:57 pm »

Of course not!
I mean by no means check the official forums for the game to see if work is still being done, It is not! It has been abandon! I am for super serious!
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 22, 2010, 10:16:27 pm »

Yes, a lot of stuff is being done, and has been done. Basically, people are making tiles (as the game's graphical), and Lap and some other people have done work on the AI, character generation, and other assorted things. Also, people are doing mathy things while they figure out bullet trajectories and skill gains and experience.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 22, 2010, 10:48:04 pm »

Time for a status update:

Personally, most of my time until the November 5th or so will be spent with a big thing I gotta do at work, so not much amazing will be coming from me until then. It's been rough on this end and I took some of my free time recently to take a break from coding and crush Fallout: New Vegas into the dust.

Codewise, this is a lull. I'm waiting for the next version of the T-Engine to come out so I can do more stuff with layers and furniture. Furniture should most definitely be better supported in the next engine and I also think that I might be able to get the layered player sprites to work so that we can mix and match people sprites, as well as represent players equipping different equipment graphically. The last part might have to wait a bit longer, we'll see.

Xegeth has been the only other one doing the harder coding work and his inventory system works great. I haven't really heard from any of the other coders. Nenjin brought in a coder friend who sounds competent, but is looking for a very focused area to work in. I have not yet figured out what would be best to set him loose on.

I can't remember who said they were going to do something with the AI, but I've heard nothing from anyone about it and the only AI I see is the little I've done.

Graphical tiles are still being made and we have a huge amount of items, loot and weapons. We could probably use more mundane items and decorative world objects, but most importantly we still need more plots and unique maps. Luckily, making maps is still probably the easiest job anyone can do. Don't worry too much about furniture objects for now. Kudos to everyone who's been keeping the tile database updated when adding new tiles. That is really going to help out.

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 23, 2010, 07:57:50 am »

Well, awesome. I am really looking forward to this.
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 23, 2010, 12:15:45 pm »

You guys should move this over to Creative Projects, since Other Games is so active, and Creative Projects isn't ;)

I tend to go there anyway when I want to see what B12ers are making, and I check in Other Games to find something to play.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 23, 2010, 12:57:09 pm »

well you can play it. Its just not fun yet :)
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 23, 2010, 03:44:47 pm »

if this is another hoax I will shoot up my school
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 23, 2010, 03:49:04 pm »

This is not a hoax.  We have made actual progress.  Progress that can be freely seen and accessed by all.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 23, 2010, 11:28:16 pm »

Personally, most of my time until the November 5th or so will be spent with a big thing I gotta do at work
Are Guy Fawkes jokes as stale as the-cake-is-a-lie jokes yet?  I apologize if they are.

Anyway, I eagerly anticipate T4's update and subsequent progress.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 26, 2010, 06:41:07 am »

Man I was starting to get worried because the board has been down and there's been no new posts. Thanks for relieving my angst Lap.

I've been utterly consumed by Hazordhu II of late. Maybe I should go back to spriting Crimelike again to get a change of pace. I like watching the tile database grow, and grow and grow, so I try to keep it up to date as often as possible.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 26, 2010, 11:37:36 am »

Been playing about with more player models, for kicks.

Butch here was easy to seperate in to layers, thanks to a really handy app 'Layer Saver' for paint.net which can save each layer of a PDN file as a seperate file. Real handy for something like the proposed player model architecture (if it will work as we hope).

Butch is 28 seperate layers (at the moment), which are the minimum amounts of seperate layers I think you need to have a bare bones model (inc. base equipment types and base clothing).

'Get orf my land!'
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 02:04:46 pm by mendonca »

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 26, 2010, 06:17:35 pm »

Board going down was entirely my fault. It's back. 27 layers? What?

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 27, 2010, 03:31:13 am »

Sorry, that is Paint.net layers, not player model layers.

Each layer is one different graphic for equipment / clothing. So there are 27 types of things that Butch can wear. It's more related to the load associated with creating the assets rather than drawing the model in the engine. That would be entirely open, and I reckon could be anywhere from 4 to 10 depending on how you approach it. I'll elaborate on my thoughts on the forum when I get home tonight.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 28, 2010, 11:50:24 am »

Stupid question, but how can I download the alpha? On Sourceforge I don't see any files to download.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 48