Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 97566 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #300 on: September 01, 2010, 06:31:15 pm »

I'd hardly call "one door is flimsy and can be easily destroyed (interior "privacy" door), one door is tougher (normal), one is reinforced (reinforced normal door), one is a tough as hell slab of metal, one is a window you can open and walk through..." "feature creep". That sounds more like "trivial differences in the definition of each type of door". Aside from the last one (which would probably be more of a window with a door lock that you could walk through if opened/broken), that sounds like it could be done with a simple 'toughness' stat, and saying "you can't kick down a door above x toughness, or use a breaching round on one above y toughness, or meaningfully damage one above z toughness with anything short of explosives".

I was more meaning stuff like:

There is a door. Do you wish to:

a) Smash it
b) Pick the lock
c) Use a crowbar
d) Shoot the hinges with your shotgun, using slug rounds.
e) Shoot the hinges with your shotgun, using buckshot.
f) Shoot the lock with your shotgun, using slug rounds.

Ect...
How about "melee breach" (a kick to a weak point (namely the area near the lock, with the goal of breaking the lock out/tearing it out of the frame), unless the player is wielding a weapon with a "breaching" quality, like an axe, sledgehammer, or battering ram), which wouldn't work on doors above a certain breaching toughness dependent on character muscle, "firearm breach" (a shot to a weak point, assumed to be wherever is best), which wouldn't work on doors above a certain breaching toughness dependent on what type of gun you're firing. A close failure (this shouldn't be an extremely random element, rather a check against whatever formula is used to determine what strength a given attack has, with perhaps only a small amount of random chance which wouldn't necessarily be enough to make an attempt fail if its base is high enough) would cause structural damage that weakened the area you're attacking, while significant failures wouldn't scratch it (except literally, unless you were trying to kick in the kind of thick metal doors a lot of commercial/public buildings have for side doors, so there'd be traces that someone tried to break in).

Instead of the cliched, obnoxious "let's attack this door and try to knock its hitpoints down to completely destroy it!", this would just be a "neutralize whatever's holding it closed so it opens" action.

Picking would be a completely different menu (and I think using a crowbar to force a door open, or using some precision tool to cut through it, would also go here). Think of the other menu as a "quickly and violently get through this motherfucking door!" one, and this as a "use some tool to work the door open".

That's not frangible rounds though. There are round that break up on impact, and ones that mushroom, but frangible rounds specifically shatter into many little pieces.

Yeah, I know. Pieces smaller than the size of a BB round. I hadn't seen anything where the round literally disintegrates into powder.
I'm thinking the dust thing was an exaggeration meant to emphasize their going to pieces, not a literal "they're reduced to a fine powder".

Item descriptions

First off: Do weapons have any stat? Or do you just want generic filler text we can pull down from the Internet?
Second: Do we have an actual list of objects, or are we supposed to go through people's designs?
Third: Let's use a master page. Duplication sucks unless it's adding to the aforementioned "item knowledge" thing.
I'm curious about items too. Though more "how are we going to store them?" than any of these questions at the moment. Unless the engine has its own special storage type, I'd be for using XML (same for NPCs), in which case I could trivially produce an editor to streamline the process of creating the lists, if I knew what elements it needed. I'm assuming lua can handle XML (and would be utterly shocked if it couldn't, especially since the little introduction thing the installer played explicitly mentioned working with XML with it). Unless it all has to be hardcoded into the engine, which is another thing that would utterly shock me.

It looks like a fun and long discussion, I just want to point that 95% of apartment doors where I live are three-layer metal and with "cerberus" locks :P.
Yeah, I think that my front door is two slabs of metal with wood and a third slab between them. Interior doors are more or less hollow wood panels with locks that can be picked by shoving a broken qtip or needle into them.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:34:58 pm by Sir Pseudonymous »
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 01, 2010, 06:33:14 pm »

We can get a $4 a month for a website through Godaddy.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 01, 2010, 06:35:41 pm »

Website?

Do it.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 01, 2010, 06:41:21 pm »

We can setup a VPS(We can run Chat servers, Website, SVN server, and IRC servers) for $10 donated to my brother's paypal, plus the domain name. He's willing to do it and I trust him, but it's up to you guys.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 01, 2010, 06:42:22 pm »

I'm all about what people think they can code quickly and correctly so there's at least something working. If it's a "kick down the door HP", it has the benefit of adding to a whole game, and can be changed later.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 01, 2010, 06:43:06 pm »

We can get a $4 a month for a website through Godaddy.

Can't we use a free blog instead of a website? Someone make a google email account that we'll all have the pw to, and then make a google blog for it that we can all log onto.

Either google blogs or wordpress would likely work fine. What'd be the name, if we had one?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:48:09 pm by Kusgnos »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 01, 2010, 06:49:59 pm »

I've been thinking about that.

Crimelike.

I think it's straight and to the point.

Also do you just start a whole new page for Piratepad, or is it parented to the one going now? I might as well set up the item page while I'm eating dinner.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 01, 2010, 06:51:31 pm »

CrimeRL?

Crimelike sounds cooler, but for some reason I find the RL cool.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 01, 2010, 06:53:36 pm »

A free blog is better, but whoever has access better be active.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 01, 2010, 06:56:35 pm »

Wordpress allows multiple contributors to a blog, doesn't it? (I know one free blog site does, having frequented an IRC channel, two regulars of which ran a joint blog for a time, before one got pissy and took it down because the other never posted) That would be more secure than sharing a single account, since one trouble maker could just up and change the password, fucking it all up.

I'm all about what people think they can code quickly and correctly so there's at least something working. If it's a "kick down the door HP", it has the benefit of adding to a whole game, and can be changed later.
It'd probably take one person an hour or two to do, assuming the engine isn't so grossly complicated as to make the task of adding a few options and equations to a menu a monumental task, in which case I can't imagine we'd be using the engine in the first place...
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 01, 2010, 07:00:16 pm »

The thing is, we could have a SVN repository for keeping all the code and sprites together, and having a website instead of just a blog will attract more players.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 01, 2010, 07:02:19 pm »

I'd prefer the free multi-admin blog idea myself, since I probably won't donate more then effort to this, and I've kept up on this so fr on both pirate pad and the forums so i'd be more then happy to check a blog onc or twice a day and answer public questions about progress/future ideas/ect.

Personnally a website should wait until we have a beta, that way we can ask for donations and god knows, maybe get enough to pay for the website (hahah or pay us.)
Nom nom nom

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 01, 2010, 07:03:14 pm »

It'd probably take one person an hour or two to do, assuming the engine isn't so grossly complicated as to make the task of adding a few options and equations to a menu a monumental task, in which case I can't imagine we'd be using the engine in the first place...

*shrug* I'll leave that up whoever is taking on the task to decide. The last time I tried to write script was NWN 2, and I failed. Before that, BASICA, and I failed :P

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 01, 2010, 07:03:34 pm »

Yea, this is true, but what about an SVN repository? We need one, and I doubt we could find one for less than 10 bux.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 48