Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 97507 times)

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #180 on: August 30, 2010, 10:25:08 pm »

I am actually looking forward to this more than that SK roguelike, and seeing some sprites makes me feel like this is already making progress. I like that you can also be more than just a Serial Killer, definately makes it better. Kind of like GTA but with the depth of a roguelike. Keep up the good work, guys.

Personally I think development might be a bit faster if you just made it in ASCII initially, and add support for graphics later, but seeing as I can't really help directly it's really up to you guys.

Edit: As long as DF-style body modeling or at least Liberal Crime Squad type injuries is in, I'll be happy, really, don't know why but I just prefer it to hit points.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:27:36 pm by dbfuru »

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 30, 2010, 10:27:54 pm »

I am actually looking forward to this more than that SK roguelike, and seeing some sprites makes me feel like this is already making progress. I like that you can also be more than just a Serial Killer, definately makes it better. Kind of like GTA but with the depth of a roguelike. Keep up the good work, guys.

Personally I think development might be a bit faster if you just made it in ASCII initially, and add support for graphics later, but seeing as I can't really help directly it's really up to you guys.

The TE4 engine is pretty cool in that we can swap it around if we have all the graphics made. I'm fine with it being just ascii, but for the graphical fans, Saint and I are playing around with preliminary sprites while Lab is coding awesome things. He's apparently very experienced with TE4's engine, and after he sets more work on it, he'll give everyone else copies of the code and instructions on how to do basic things like build maps, make objects, and write up descriptors. In the mean time, hammering out a clear skill system, exp system, and attributes system are important before Lab can start chargen work. Let's brainstorm some more!

Also, the piratepad link is still here. http://piratepad.net/h9QML6qDDY

Should I put what we've got so far up there?

EDIT for dbfuru: Scroll back a bit. Lab coded locational damage, and will probably be doing the DF-style damage stuff, too.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:29:31 pm by Kusgnos »

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 30, 2010, 10:33:51 pm »

I was scrolling back and saw that, nice work! This looks like it's really going to go somewhere, I'm impressed. Looking forward to this, I will probably make suggestions but that's about it. Is LUA scripting difficult? My only experience is Visual Basic and Visual Basic for Applications.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 30, 2010, 10:37:22 pm »

I was scrolling back and saw that, nice work! This looks like it's really going to go somewhere, I'm impressed. Looking forward to this, I will probably make suggestions but that's about it. Is LUA scripting difficult? My only experience is Visual Basic and Visual Basic for Applications.

http://www.lua.org/
http://te4.org/

Go and check it out. If you already have coding experience, it'll at the very least be interesting to pore over, and if you don't, it's still neat. Heh. Suggestions are also great, and I'll be doing my best to compile the current stats and attribute system. Cthulhu and the others, thanks for the work so far...and Lab is seriously doing some intense coding, haha.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 30, 2010, 10:40:37 pm »

Hmm wouldn't Agility or Dexterity be a good replacement for Coordination as well? I dunno, just throwing that out there. Having the first few letters distinct enough is handy for quick reference etc.

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 30, 2010, 10:56:40 pm »

I'd like to fiddle around with te4 so I can get to grips with it, are there any guides or tutorials on where to start?

Edit: Found some guides on the wiki, when I get home I'll have a crack at it. I am not planning on helping programming at all, I just would like to get to know how the tome engine works for personal use.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:03:54 am by dbfuru »

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 30, 2010, 11:05:25 pm »

Attempted to create good-looking grass that fits in with the art style.  Probably failed.

EDIT:

Pavement, not as good as the grass, but an attempt.  Consider it probably a placeholder.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 11:13:25 pm by Jack A T »
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 30, 2010, 11:27:37 pm »

I think Lap is one of our more experienced coder, and unless he has quarrel with it, I'd like him to take on the random generation etc. when it comes to it, simply because I'm 90% sure he's more experienced than the rest of us and could be/is a major asset to the team.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 30, 2010, 11:36:32 pm »

Lap definitely seems to know what he's doing. I am immediately suspicious, is this some sort of WARLOCK?

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 30, 2010, 11:40:58 pm »

I think Lap is one of our more experienced coder, and unless he has quarrel with it, I'd like him to take on the random generation etc. when it comes to it, simply because I'm 90% sure he's more experienced than the rest of us and could be/is a major asset to the team.

He is pretty much going to be bearing the weight of the coding. And it seems like he knows the creator of the engine pretty well, so that's cool. Dark God might pop in and throw in more bits of help or information at us. x2yzh9, how are you doing with organizing what we have so far? It'll probably be useful for Lap to see an outline of skills + exp + attribute + levelup system.

Should we add an agility or reflex stat? Also, what are some ideas on skill categorization? We'll probably change constitution to either endurance or health. Our current 'level-up' system for skills appears to be roughly, practice it more and you will improve on it. Should attributes be able to 'level'?

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 30, 2010, 11:48:38 pm »

Attributes should of course be slower to level, and should increase when skills dependent on that attribute are used? For example, assuming a percentile-based skill system, a skill growth of total 20 percent in four MUSCLE skills will increase MUSCLE by a point.

Or maybe a little faster?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 31, 2010, 12:10:23 am »

Attributes should of course be slower to level, and should increase when skills dependent on that attribute are used? For example, assuming a percentile-based skill system, a skill growth of total 20 percent in four MUSCLE skills will increase MUSCLE by a point.

Or maybe a little faster?

That sounds like an interesting idea. It seems like it'd work pretty well, though that also means if people keep working their skills they'll become monstrous powerhouses of attributes. Maybe make it even slower to level. Not entirely sure on the balance, but it sounds like a great idea. We could implement it and if it ends up being unbalanced, change it then...?

Also, I made a template for a 32x32 dude. So you guys can just mess around with colors, add beard/hair/hat/gloves/different shoes, and mix it up. I'll make a female template in a bit.

EDIT: There we go, male and female template. Download and color and add hair to your pleasure. I'll stick them up at the piratepad, too.

http://piratepad.net/h9QML6qDDY
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:27:02 am by Kusgnos »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 31, 2010, 12:14:46 am »

Just make a soft cap.  Diminishing returns erodes at your attribute increases until by the time you're approaching natural human limits normal training is no longer viable, and you have to use steroids and stuff to increase it further (With the associated risks)
Shoes...

insectcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 31, 2010, 12:24:05 am »

If I knew the first thing about coding, I would definitely help with this. Actually, that's kind of a lie; I would probly be working on the Cowboy roguelike of my dreams. Oh well, posting to keep an eye on this.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 31, 2010, 01:41:05 am »

Would it be possible to make external image loading possible? I would like to be able to make my own tileset :).

P.S. Also, Lap, were you asking for my Rogue Survivor tileset for this? If so, you can use it as you wish and I can add about 30 more hairstyles and clothes I drew in my free time.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 48