Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 97472 times)

tarsier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #150 on: August 30, 2010, 08:06:49 pm »

Oh another thing....indoors vs outdoors. Should the buildings have their interiors seamless with the world (like Rogue Survivor and DF) or should the doors transport you into a different zone. You can do more detail with the teleport, but there's plenty of disadvantages too.

This sort of thing must be seamless - shooting through windows, seeing who's inside, etc.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2010, 08:11:43 pm »

I think it should be as seamless as possible. Districts would of course teleport, but for the most part the things within the district should be seamless.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2010, 08:11:58 pm »

Postan to watch, and contribute later on.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2010, 08:24:17 pm »

Saint drew quick generic handgun for HUD/ invantory. purposes.
Working at 64x64 currently.
Would prefer using 32x32 but w/e this works I just need to get used to the size again.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2010, 08:28:10 pm »

Made a random sprite, 64x64. Should I continue making them in that size, or do 32x32?

Also, if the style doesn't fit, or if there are any changes to the image as required (darker image, different eye style, whatever), please tell me. This particular sprite is bald, in generic convict fashion.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 30, 2010, 08:30:51 pm »

I wanna help with spritan. At work right now, so I can't do much, but when I get home I can submit stuff.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 30, 2010, 08:34:43 pm »

Sprites are probably the only thing I can't give my valued input for, since I prefer ASCII.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 30, 2010, 08:36:39 pm »

64x64 is big as hell.  We're not gonna be able to have very many tiles on screen if we go that big.

If we go too much smaller though, you won't be able to tell what anything is.

That's why I prefer ASCII.
Shoes...

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 30, 2010, 08:40:23 pm »

32x32 is my preferred.

I wonder if this could work in Isometric view like GearHead2 or Stonesense. More work for spriters, though.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 30, 2010, 08:48:42 pm »

I wish I could help with this project more then just suggesting ideas.
Anyway, besides shooting though windows, how about shooting though wood?
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2010, 08:50:40 pm »

32x32 spread and smudged pool of blood.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:56:39 pm by Jack A T »
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2010, 08:51:52 pm »

Shooting through walls in general. Weapons should have a penetration factor (1, 2, 3), as should walls and body armor. For example, a .22 rifle would have a penetration factor of 1, meaning that it can't punch through body armor (factor 2) or wood (factor 1) or walls (factor 3). Fists would have a penetration factor of 0. And so on.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 30, 2010, 09:08:07 pm »

64x64 is big as hell.  We're not gonna be able to have very many tiles on screen if we go that big.

If we go too much smaller though, you won't be able to tell what anything is.

That's why I prefer ASCII.

Yeah, I think we're downsizing the 64 ones to 32. And I much prefer ASCII as well--been playing pretty much every single roguelike in ascii, because it's more comfortable, and doesn't randomly suffer from weird graphics.

I think Jack A T's bloodstain looks too wispy. Just do a splatter, maybe?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2010, 09:09:04 pm »

Yeah, I like the pixel-style better.  What Kusgnos has looks good although it needs transparency.
Shoes...

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2010, 09:18:07 pm »

Shooting through walls in general. Weapons should have a penetration factor (1, 2, 3), as should walls and body armor. For example, a .22 rifle would have a penetration factor of 1, meaning that it can't punch through body armor (factor 2) or wood (factor 1) or walls (factor 3). Fists would have a penetration factor of 0. And so on.
Well, maybe as you go up in Strength your fists get higher penetration factors? Hell, people who go to martial arts can break through fucking bricks. So maybe at highest strength you can punch through walls, but it alerts people in the area and slightly damages your fists?

Anyway, why was I not there? In short, very, very busy today. I won't go into details but this is the first time I get to relax today. I'm very sorry for missing the first Dev session.

Now, what did we cover today? I want to know what topics to go over tomorrow and what to work on and such. As well, I think my position would best be fit as a organizer-I can't be a website hoster(Maybe a blogspot until/if we get a website up and going). Truly sorry for missing the first Dev Session. I'm a terrible artist/not the best at coding, so I think I'd like to do the organizing. Ie. who does what, what we're going to work on, etc. We shouldn't focus on the big picture, just incremental steps. We should determine who's good at what and how good at it, so we can assign 'assignments'. I hate to use the term, but SOMEONES going to have to take up random generation, won't they?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 48