Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 97435 times)

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2010, 09:09:24 pm »

Got a question. How to make the module so that character generation gives you some points and you can customize your character's stats? Right now, it's doing the 'pick role' and 'pick class' sort of style of roguelike.

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2010, 09:14:14 pm »

Have you considered using libtcod instead of T-engine? It seems to be a more flexible choice and each of the projects have a unique look to them.

ed

This GUI looks kind of similar to SK.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 09:16:45 pm by mikefictiti0us »

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2010, 09:21:16 pm »

5 PM tomorrow. I'll be there.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2010, 10:03:19 pm »

i may miss(its 4 GMT here and i need sleep) the chat but just to let you all know i can help with the weapons and stuff.

i have never used  TE4 before but it looks alot easyer then Visual Basic. 
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2010, 10:04:47 pm »

Have you considered using libtcod instead of T-engine? It seems to be a more flexible choice and each of the projects have a unique look to them.

ed

This GUI looks kind of similar to SK.

Doryen is more flexible in that it's just a library, whereas T-Engine is an engine - therefor it has more things already laid out for you that you don't have to build from the ground up.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2010, 10:07:40 pm »

Alright, I'm back home so I'm in the pirate pad. Anyone wants to chat about ideas and shit, I'm there.

HAHA JUST KIDDING I'M GOING TO SLEEP
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 10:13:27 pm by rawr359 »
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2010, 10:43:53 pm »

I won't be there. Work.

I'll write some stuff up on the laptop though, and post it on the thread when I wake up sometime tuesday afternoon.

It's gonna be a looooong two days.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2010, 10:55:48 pm »

I would have worked but I'm not a coder and the stuff there made my brain go boom

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2010, 11:01:39 pm »

I'm doing some Lua tutorials.  It's pretty easy, I'm picking it up fast.
Shoes...

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2010, 12:01:11 am »

I'm doing some Lua tutorials.  It's pretty easy, I'm picking it up fast.

Wish it were that way for me. I can nod along and follow the tutorials, but when I see the code, it takes me hours to wrap my brain around it. So far, I'm still figuring out how to make the character generation system. :| Also doing some playing around with maps.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2010, 04:26:53 am »

I figure i can help.

Lua is quite easy to pickup if you got history in codeing.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

DarkGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2010, 08:10:28 am »

Plop there :)

ToME4 interface is ToME4 interface, it does not impose on other games using the TE4 engine, you don't have to use the same screen layout, fonts, colors whatever.
It's like a metalibrary, it provides low level building blocks but also high levels ones (like maps, entities, ..) you can choose to not use some of them it's easy: you don't use them ;)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2010, 08:27:57 am »

Well, I've no programming experience, but I can still help by bombing you with impossible-to-implement ideas and pestering for a release to play. :P

So, looking at the thread, this seems to be the standing suggestion for stats:
Muscle - determines physical damage, how much character could carry
Constitution - Resistance to illness, poison, fatigue
Coordination - determines accuracy, things like lockpicking
Intelligence - intelligence based skills, hiding your trails
Charisma - making people like you, all that
Willpower - whether your character could weather non-physical stress, especially if the game implements that status-type idea with concern/worry/fear
Perception - helps you notice things that you might normally miss (sounds and details)

I think it's missing a stat to determing things like running speed and jumping height and your natural affinity with acrobatics. I suppose you could make them a function of Strength (how strong your legs are) and Coordination (how good you are at timing your movements), if additional stats would make things too complex. Also, something to determine reflexes would probably be necessary, to determine things like movement order in a gunfight and dodging ability.

Maybe break Coordination to two stats, Agility and Dexterity? Agility would be your affinity for moving, including things like running, climbing, jumping and rolling, while Dexterity would be your ability to perform small, precise movements such as picking a lock, performing surgery or aiming a sniper rifle. Most combat would use both. Perception could perhaps be combined with intelligence or willpower. Maybe make it a function of both. How smart you are combined with how much patience you have. Also, I don't like the word "constitution", and I think "health" would be better. Assuming they're even visible to the player. :)

I've also had this idea for a luck stat that wouldn't measure how lucky you are, but how much luck you have left. You start with a fixed amount and you can't normally increase it, and you can permanently sacrifice a point or two to do things like perfectly succeed at any single action or evade certain death. It'd make the game less realistic and more "Action Movie", but I think that's fine. I think the most irritating part of combat in Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode is when a highly skilled character gets killed by a lucky shot. Would it be too much like a lives system?

As for character advancement, a problem I foresee is pacifism. Since stealth will apparently be a large part of the game, any system that requires you to kill people to get more powerful is right out. A skill based system with no concept of experience levels sounds fine, as long as there are enough opportunities to train them. LCS forces you to commit hundreds of practice murders to train up your combat skills, and that kind of kills the idea of staying hidden from the authorities. Yet on the other hand, if training skills is too easy, the flow of game gets broken. If you can safely level grind skills in your hideout with no risk, the skills become kind of pointless, as every character can get them without having to play the actual game. Make training require teachers and money? Automate the training and make it take lots of time, so that if you do it too much, you die of old age?

The kind of instanced city with areas separated by loading screens that LCS and the old Infinity Engine games have would work well here, yes. Possibly have random locations for chases and such, in addition to all the areas with interesting things in them? Back alleys, orbital motorways, stuff like that. Every time you reach an edge of an area, you have a chance to get away from your pursuers; depending on how many of them there are, how close they are, bonuses for knowing this area of the city well; and if you fail, you get tossed to a random street and get another shot at shaking them off. If there's some idea on how the persistent city areas are connected to each other, you could also get to pass through some of them while running away. Eh, maybe just go with the escape minigame LCS has.

Would a DF-style persistent city be too difficult to implement? It would make leaving your mark on the world mean something.

Okay, this post is getting kind of long, so I think I'll just click post and ramble more later.

DarkGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2010, 08:46:59 am »

TE4 supports a "world" savefile independant of player savefile, this can be used to save the levels if you wish, although I am not sure it would bring much to the game. Yes you could leave your mark on the world, but then you have problems like making sure the world can't be emptied by too many killers and so on.
I am not sure it's that neat, but anyway, the engine should allow it if you wish it ;)

As for splitting into zones, yes you most probably want to do it

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2010, 09:12:44 am »

Yeah, you'd need a number of subfeatures. I expect some of them would be trickier than just making the game save the world separately. The city must rebuild and repopulate if it gets destroyed by, for example, the player. The game must react when you destroy factions, such as crime syndicates, probably by making other factions expand to fill the power vacuum or letting new factions emerge without the player. Ability to let the city run without an active player character, to let it regenerate extensive damage. Make NPCs die of old age, make non-player factions fight among themselves, let people (and buildings) be replaced without player interaction; otherwise the city will be utterly static despite several years passing. Some handwave explanation for why we still don't have flying cars. And getting any benefit out of this would need even more things, like newspaper articles and other ways to learn about past people; maps, notes and buried treasure; and copycat killers.

But, this is pie-in-the-sky stuff, and I think someone advocated against that earlier. Nice to know the engine theoretically supports it, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48