Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 97431 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #600 on: October 06, 2010, 07:18:02 am »

This looks great! I see it going places, and the theme is something extremely rare in Roguelikes.

Excellent interface, too!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: October 06, 2010, 07:24:26 am »

Medicine Man: No. You'd have to download the TOME engine and then download all the files we've got so far into a root directory.

And there's no real content right now anyways. It's still just an alpha. But progress is being made!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: October 06, 2010, 12:49:20 pm »

Some of those tiles need transparentizing. If no one else does it, I'm going to go in and scour them of that blackness.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 07, 2010, 03:30:35 am »

Nah, it's cool man. They are all transparentisized, it's just the way they show up at the minute (I think anyway... feel free to check).

Lap is close to a conclusion to how you get the map to know there is a floor under a chair (for instance) which I suppose is the root of the problem. (i.e the chair is transparented but all you can see behind it is space, it doesn't know there should be a floor there.)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: October 07, 2010, 09:44:12 am »

Lap is close to a conclusion to how you get the map to know there is a floor under a chair (for instance) which I suppose is the root of the problem.

Getting the map to know there is a floor under a chair is easy, as it's always been part of the engine. You throw down a floor and then tell the game that there is a chair object at coordinates (x,y).

I've been holding off posting how to do it since I was trying to think up alternative ways to code to make it easier on you guys. Here are some options:

1. Layers. Your map file might have a terrain layer and an object layer. Wood floor with a chair in the middle. It is slightly annoying syncing up larger more complex maps, but probably allows for the most options.

.C.

2. Specific tiles that combine an item with a floor. Basically, CHAIR_WOODEN_FLOOR_WOODEN. This would make far more tiles though for all the desired combination so we probably shouldn't do it.

3. The standard currently where you place all the floors and then at the end of the map file write in the specific (x,y) coordinates of where you want an object. Least user friendly, but easiest to code.

Any alternative ideas?

I've also got most of the Fallout style chat working. I'm fiddling around with random lines of conversation so that conversations can be more diverse.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 07, 2010, 12:12:33 pm »

I don't suppose there's any way to arrange the syntax, so that defineTile 'X,O,' 'Tile_blah, Tile_blah" would work?
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 07, 2010, 07:01:55 pm »

There we go. That was the 4th idea I remember thinking of at some point, but couldn't remember it when the time came to write the post. I still need to look into how to code it, but that's probably the best option.

EDIT= Well that was 10x easier than expected. It's all good to go, just use

defineTile('C', 'WOOD_FLOOR', 'WOOD_CHAIR') to make a wooden chair on a wooden floor.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:58:24 pm by Lap »

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: October 09, 2010, 12:48:52 pm »

Alright, the conversation system can now handle just about anything I can throw at it. Everything you can do in the old school Fallout dialogue system we can do.

I also updated the game to the latest version of the T-Engine. The latest version has a nicer UI, is faster, and also supports multithreading. Saving is now much faster too. The new update breaks my little health guy we're so used to seeing on the left, but he's getting replaced anyways so whatever.

I want to show you how the ToME UI now looks as I will probably be updating our UI so that it can also be entirely mouse driven.

We've got all sorts of nice buttons, tooltips, and menus in the above screenshot and I absolutely love tooltips. So at some point our UI will have those features and all the fancy bells and whistles like textured backpanels.

From here on out I don't really know what to focus on so I'll just be working on random content and the HIDEN system.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 09, 2010, 02:46:46 pm »

Dude....shiny UI is shiny. The amount of buttons and additional stuff on the interface will help a ton dealing with complexity of game issues.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 09, 2010, 03:42:55 pm »

I'm excited for when we get the tiles and the stuff all sorted out. I kind of want to start doing people, but I'm vaguely unsure of what direction to proceed for limbs/clothes/how many different body sizes there are. :(

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 09, 2010, 04:16:13 pm »

Work on people last as I still want to see if we'll be able to have all clothing dynamically shown. There's plenty of art stuff we need more of. If you really want to work on people you could always try to make the paper doll for the UI.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: October 10, 2010, 11:29:55 pm »

Xegeth improved his inventory system, which opens up a lot more stuff I can do now. I started working on the basic pull/push, open/close commands. I'm going to have to wait to finish those commands when furniture gets better implemented. Furniture shouldn't be much longer now as the feature I need the engine to have should be released in the next T-Engine.

For anyone who is using an old T-Engine version make sure you update to beta 12 as it is a lot nicer.

At this point, I'm struggling to find focus. There are so many things that can be worked on, most of which won't be that fun or amazing without other completed systems to interact with so it's hard to get motivated. Any votes on what system you'd most like to see work? Thoughts on if there is a milestone we should work towards? (making a small intro mission, getting firearm combat working, etc.).

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 11, 2010, 12:05:25 am »

I vote for the small intro mission.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 11, 2010, 12:26:05 am »

Yeah, just doing that initial conversation chunk, I realized I could dive into that for days at a time. This long ago reached enough work to consume all people's time.

I guess my personal preference would be nailing down the player character.

Actually getting stats and skills codified and able to interact with the game world. Stats and skills, the player character, are the ultimate starting part for so many things, from NPCs to combat to how HIDEN ultimately plays out, that it seems the place to start to me. It's an RPG afterall. That discussion kind of stalled seeking input from other people and negotiating, and I re-focused on tiles and ideas in other areas. I've got the rough expectations down, so it's probably time to get that stuff sorted.

Once the character, and by extension, NPCs are truly sorted, we can move to combat.

I'm also trying to get some RL friends with coding experience involved. Not having a ton of luck there though.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 12:34:10 am by nenjin »

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 16, 2010, 09:35:34 am »

I'll be this pirate pad (http://piratepad.net/bhZLA9sI6k) for most of today if anyone wants to contribute, question, or whatever. We got a new coder this week named BobAlmighty. He sounds experienced and this will hopefully mean even faster development.

Just about every feature I wished the T-Engine had is being or has been added to the T-Engine's next beta. When the next beta is released I'll start working on fixing the graphical annoyances we currently have in the map.

Right now I'm working on improving firearms, combat, and ammo.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 48