Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 97561 times)

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #375 on: September 02, 2010, 07:08:59 pm »

A simplified trail system?
Or how about a brand new ace attorneys game! Except this time your client really did did it!
Also its more realistic!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 07:10:33 pm by cappstv »
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 02, 2010, 07:11:04 pm »

I can't tell if that means your in support of the prison idea or against it :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 02, 2010, 07:11:21 pm »

I like it, but I think it should be by months.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 02, 2010, 07:16:57 pm »

Like, bi-annual? Doing all 12 months for a 10 year sentence gets a little unsane, I think.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 02, 2010, 07:44:40 pm »

My thoughts about prison
Have journalist and true crime writers visit you there. Maybe have some sort of randomly generated quiz thing that goes along with those events. Then they will describe your crime in gritty details, but unlike normal newspaper articles about your crimes, it will have your side of the story too.

Make prison escaping way more in depth. Have the option to recruit your cell mates or go at it alone. Then you will select what tools you will use and when on your prison schedule you plan to escape. Then you have to play though your escape. If you make it your story continues. If you don't you get a climatic end.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 02, 2010, 07:53:16 pm »

Perhaps an option to play through incarceration?
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 02, 2010, 08:16:11 pm »

So there's been some disagreement as to the level of silliness and/or offensiveness we want to allow. Not even in the game play sense, just the kinds of easter eggs, quotes or things that make up items and descriptions.

So we think a good compromise is an optional mode for the game. We'll think of something clever to call it. All items would be parsed for tags like SILLY and OFFENSIVE and EASTEREGG. These items and/or descs would only show up in the "+ mode." We're trying to be pretty liberal about what we tag with what, and most items will have no tag. But we felt everyone has a line somewhere on what's acceptable, and I think this will probably help us focus what the theme and style of the core game is, while still leaving room for all the fun, bad jokes, in-jokes and stuff that people crave.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 02, 2010, 08:38:39 pm »

As for the XML, it seems there would be a lot of information to keep track of with all the descriptions, how much you could pawn each item for, how bulky it is, etc, etc.  Keeping track of all that in the code would be a pain, and putting everything into XML wouldn't be that hard, IMO.

Please make an example of an XML file for an item or whatever so I can see what you are proposing.

I'm tired from stupid kids drinking bleach and such. I should have the SVN updated in the morning or early afternoon tomorrow. I'm trying to remove all the random experimental stuff I was doing that could easily crash your game if you don't know what you're doing. Don't be expecting too much. Most of my time was spent exploring possible coding paths and experimenting with stuff.

And was there ever a consensus on if the city should be a "world map",  as in the city travel is at a different scale than most indoor areas. It sounded like there was more votes for having everything have the same scale everywhere, but I wanted to make sure.

Also, I don't know if there's a good solution to dealing with situations where you are trying to look from a fifth story down to the street or vice versa.

Easter egg stuff? Behold the magic of Lua where we can easily tag and make just about everything in the game optional.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 02, 2010, 08:51:51 pm »

Also, I don't know if there's a good solution to dealing with situations where you are trying to look from a fifth story down to the street or vice versa.

Isn't it possible to just handle it like DF does, minus all the z-axis calculations? As long as enemies know how to reach the same elevation as the player, I think we can all accept not being able to shoot down the z-axis. I don't think anyone's expectations are that high, at this point.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 02, 2010, 08:56:01 pm »

It's all about time. If the engine doesn't have native support it means one of us has to code it in and something like that isn't even close to as easy as it sounds, which is why very few RL's have good Z-axis implementation.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 02, 2010, 08:56:50 pm »

Following was some discussion on normal NPCs, unique NPCs, and identifiers that can give the player information about the NPC being looked at that was on the PiratePad. I put it down here, since it seemed like some good points, though we've yet to really put it all together.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, I think most people agreed that indoor spaces should have the same scale. The only thing that ought to have a location change is between districts.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 02, 2010, 09:15:18 pm »

Would cracking open LCS to see how it's handled there be of any use?

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 02, 2010, 09:25:48 pm »

Haha, wow, it sounds like you had a fun time Lap.

Here is a good example of fairly complicated XML with nested stuff.  I will eventually get around to doing one myself.

http://www.redversconsulting.com/images/cobol-xml-sample.gif
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 02, 2010, 09:38:44 pm »

I think it would be best to forget about XML, it's much easier to do items in .LUA and you have the advantage that's already in the code the game uses. Not to mention the items have lil bits of functions inside of them (such as the damage randomization function), they're basically classes (or structs, or tables, or constructs, depending on what language you are used with) with a variable range of definitions.

As for prison, I think it should be an actual area of the game, so you're able to kill inmates and attempt some fun escapes or getting killed in there. It's much more interesting than just skimming through menus. Of course, time could pass faster in prison.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 02, 2010, 09:45:37 pm »

I like the idea of prison both as a punishment for getting caught, and an element of game play. I think just running around shooting prison guards and opening cells sounds kind of one track. What happens outside the clink is just as important to criminals as what happens inside. I think it adds a great deal to the simulation that the game isn't over when you're arrested and convicted, it's just another chapter in the tale of your criminal, how they went to prison and came out reborn hard.

I'd hate the game to just climax at "Cops shoot you, you die." Or "Cops put you in cell. Now walk out of cell."

It also sets up the potential to play the whole LIFE of your criminal, not just the part before they got killed. Imagine a whole game, going in and out of the prison system. When the game finally tallies your score, you could be proud of having an epic criminal veteran.

I think a prison side-experience sounds more flavorful, easier to do in a meaningful way and offers a change up of gameplay. Which is one thing I've always liked about LCS.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:48:03 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 48