Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 97541 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #270 on: September 01, 2010, 02:34:13 pm »

I think that there should simple be a command to shoot the lock out with a gun/silenced gun or crack it open with a knife as opposed to having lockpick guns.
Nom nom nom

DarkGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2010, 02:39:15 pm »

DarkGod's work:
Being awesome and giving code guidance. (DarkGod is the maker of the engine).

Ahah thanks :)

I'll keep on eye on thid thread but if you have questions I'm usually lurking more on my forums ;)

Vic Romano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2010, 02:40:36 pm »

If whoever is making the tiles wants to send me them i could start turning those blueprints into roguelike blueprints

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2010, 02:43:42 pm »

A lot of the are already on the pirate pad.

http://piratepad.net/h9QML6qDDY

As for bump keys:  I never actually used them, but I keep meaning to.

And as for shooting the lock:  That... wouldn't really work, it would just jam the lock.  Unless you used a shotgun, which would work.

But jimmying open the lock using a knife/credit card/cord should be possible too, if only for "low level" doors.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 01, 2010, 03:08:43 pm »

I think that there should simple be a command to shoot the lock out with a gun/silenced gun or crack it open with a knife as opposed to having lockpick guns.

Yeah, shooting out the door hinges would make sense. Kind of like...you can choose to be more quiet and go the lockpicking/bump keying route so there's no trace of breaking in, or you can break the door hinges, make a lot of noise, and it'll be obvious there was a breaking and entering, but you won't need the skill.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 01, 2010, 03:15:04 pm »

A lot of the are already on the pirate pad.

http://piratepad.net/h9QML6qDDY

As for bump keys:  I never actually used them, but I keep meaning to.

And as for shooting the lock:  That... wouldn't really work, it would just jam the lock.  Unless you used a shotgun, which would work.
I'm curious as to how exactly a shotgun would take out a lock and allow a door to be opened. Does it just shred the door around the lock/tear the lock out?

But jimmying open the lock using a knife/credit card/cord should be possible too, if only for "low level" doors.

Well, specifically for doors without a locked deadbolt/chain, if I understand the mechanism correctly (knocking in the bolt by hitting the wedged end of it that allows it to close while locked (or close and remain locked while unlocked)).
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 01, 2010, 03:25:32 pm »

I'm curious as to how exactly a shotgun would take out a lock and allow a door to be opened. Does it just shred the door around the lock/tear the lock out?

Doors have hinges opposite the lock, that are what actually keeps the door attached to the wall. If you shoot out the hinges, all it takes is one kick to break the lock free of door frame and the door falls right in.

It's Hollywood though. Law enforcement uses a battering ram when they want to go through doors. For criminals it would make sense to have a quick, violent entry method...but it sounds a little overly complicated for just trying to get through a door with whatever brute force you have available.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 01, 2010, 03:33:12 pm »

Doors have hinges opposite the lock, that are what actually keeps the door attached to the wall. If you shoot out the hinges, all it takes is one kick to break the lock free of door frame and the door falls right in.
I have an even harder time believing a gun could take out hinges than I do believing it could knock out a lock/weaken the area around the lock so it can be torn out.

It's Hollywood though. Law enforcement uses a battering ram when they want to go through doors. For criminals it would make sense to have a quick, violent entry method...but it sounds a little overly complicated for just trying to get through a door with whatever brute force you have available.
I seem to recall something on modern shotguns talking about the use of slug rounds by police/SWAT teams to breach doors. Presumably flimsy interior doors, rather than heavier external doors, where one would have room to move in a battering ram.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 01, 2010, 03:35:32 pm »

I have an even harder time believing a gun could take out hinges than I do believing it could knock out a lock/weaken the area around the lock so it can be torn out.

A slug point blank-into your average apartment door will not only tear out the lock, it will take a significant chunk of the door with it. Two shots, and the door is gone.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 01, 2010, 03:37:40 pm »

A slug point blank-into your average apartment door will not only tear out the lock, it will take a significant chunk of the door with it. Two shots, and the door is gone.

But then you'd have less bullets.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 01, 2010, 03:38:41 pm »

That's why you use breaching shot instead of actual shells.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 01, 2010, 03:38:47 pm »

If you're alone, yeah. Who the hell breaches doors like that alone though.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 01, 2010, 03:39:14 pm »

we have produced a breach shell for shotguns. its called the Hatton round and uses frangible material for destroying the area around a deadbolt or hinges. works at 6 inches from target aimed at a 45 degree angle for maximum effect and safety. the round disperse into a harmless powder after fire.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 01, 2010, 03:56:46 pm »

If you're alone, yeah. Who the hell breaches doors like that alone though.

Professional hitmen, bro.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 01, 2010, 03:59:17 pm »

the round disperse into a harmless powder after fire.

Wow, that's crazy. That it can go from a deforming round to nothing. What's it made of?

Professional hitmen, bro.

I thought they slipped into your house by picking your lock during the day, so they can be sitting your favorite chair when you walk in, and then shoot you in the face.

Forced entry with a shotgun sounds like more an assault on a fortified position than a professional assassination. Put another way, how many crime scenarios can you think of where people go to apartments and houses and blast their way in just to rob the place? Not very many that I can think of. That sounds more like, I dunno, Heat where they're getting revenge on people, an over-the-top mob hit on safe house, or an attack on a rival gang's stronghold.

Definitely not like a smooth, professional hitman though. That kind of reeks of Hollywood to operate that way.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 04:03:00 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 48