Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 97539 times)

Vic Romano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #255 on: September 01, 2010, 12:41:45 am »

I've spent the past year trying to find a roguelike that i can get into.  So far I've tried Crawl, but eh.  I wanted to lend some help with this thing.  Floor plans!

some are pretty small, others are basically mansions
I also dont know if the plan is to do a Z axis thing with the stairs or have everyone living in ranch houses

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 01, 2010, 12:43:03 am »

There's Z-axis planned, but I've only used it for basements.... for the drugs.
Nom nom nom

Xegeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 01, 2010, 03:04:10 am »

I typed in the lines by hand this time, and it seems to work. The only thing now I need to know is how to add the code to pickup items, equip them, etc. Doesn't seem to be any information on it on the wiki.

I was looking through the te4 documentation, specifically all of the entries about keys or keybindings, but I couldn't figure it out. I looked at the TOME Actor.lua and can't find any of the keybinds. Where does the TOME module store it's key binds?

All of the keybinds you need are in \game\data\keybinds\inventory.lua. Actually making them work though takes a bit more effort. You need to add them to self.key:addBinds in setupCommands(), which you can find in \<YourGame>\Class\Game.lua. You'll need to write the functions yourself, and add them to \<YourGame>\Class\Player.lua. It would probably be best to check how tome did it, because ActorInventory.lua has some functions that you should use. If you've not found ActorInventory yet, it's in \game\engine\interface.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 01, 2010, 04:00:40 am »

CONTRIBUTAN.
And by contributan I mean:
Good work so far, gimme alpha now.
Also I may make some stuff to help a little or something.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 01, 2010, 04:34:30 am »

Woo, go team.  /cheerleader

This is the extent of my contribution, as I cannot code, nor can I sprite.  I don't think my interior design is very good either.  :(

I'm kind of interested in trying to learn code-wizardry, though.  Where should I start?

At the moment, the only thought running through my head is your average sedan car should be two tiles wide and four long.  Front two are the hood/engine, the middle two rows are the seats, and in the back is a trunk.  Thus, road lanes would be two tiles wide each.  Sidewalks I know of are usually much thinner than a road lane, but it would be kind of silly if you couldn't walk around someone without risking horrible automobile inflicted death.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 01, 2010, 04:39:43 am »

Cool designs, Vic Romano. Did you get them from some architecture site or do you have something with house layout designers? They look nice and clean.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Xegeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 01, 2010, 04:52:52 am »

This is the extent of my contribution, as I cannot code, nor can I sprite.  I don't think my interior design is very good either.  :(

I'm kind of interested in trying to learn code-wizardry, though.  Where should I start?

At the moment, the only thought running through my head is your average sedan car should be two tiles wide and four long.  Front two are the hood/engine, the middle two rows are the seats, and in the back is a trunk.  Thus, road lanes would be two tiles wide each.  Sidewalks I know of are usually much thinner than a road lane, but it would be kind of silly if you couldn't walk around someone without risking horrible automobile inflicted death.

I found http://www.lua.org/pil/ very useful for learning lua. It's for an older version, but most of it is still relevant.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 01, 2010, 05:09:24 am »

I was thinking of 2x3, although then you'd have to squeeze things in a bit. Back seats and the trunk occupying the same space? Eh, it doesn't sound that bad. Also, road lanes are wider than cars, at least in places where they're planned beforehand. To accommodate for turning and trucks. Three tiles, I'd say, plus whatever parking space there is on the side. Two tiles for sidewalks sounds sufficient. Or three, if the city has notable bicycle traffic.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 01, 2010, 05:34:38 am »

I found http://www.lua.org/pil/ very useful for learning lua. It's for an older version, but most of it is still relevant.
I use the same as well :).

P.S. This is a character design I use in Viral Resistance:

I will make my own tileset later, when there won't be gaps in graphics and it may be done easily.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 05:56:41 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 01, 2010, 06:39:47 am »

As before i'm once again offering my services

all tough i have limited experience with Lua I've worked on bay station for about year or two as a programmer.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 01, 2010, 09:29:03 am »

You don't need to offer, I believe you can just code some shit and talk about it on the pirate pad and the thread.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

terroroinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 01, 2010, 10:43:33 am »

if you want to contribute, you might want to have a look at this site:

http://piratepad.net/h9QML6qDDY

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 01, 2010, 12:44:37 pm »

Male:

Female:

For some reason I forgot to de-color the female. But yes, I've separated each sprite into three parts, so that they can be randomized when we modify them. I'll be doing some work with miniweapons that'll show up on the sprite. What are some weapon suggestions?

EDIT: Lockpick sets and lockpick gun (snap gun).

I'm thinking lockpick sets are easier to hide, and are silent, while lockpick guns attract attention through noise (the 'snapping'), and are much harder to hide. For anyone who doesn't know how they function, lockpick sets use a tension wrench and a pick to 'rake' the lock and get the tumblers to line up while applying pressure, and lockpick guns basically 'snap' and hit all the tumblers while you are applying pressure. So lockpick guns work faster, and require little skill.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:21:48 pm by Kusgnos »

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 01, 2010, 02:22:23 pm »

There are also bump keys and numerous other ways of picking locks.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 01, 2010, 02:31:33 pm »

There are also bump keys and numerous other ways of picking locks.

Bump keys get jammed and are unreliable, and you need a set of them most of the time to fit different locks, depending on how finely you file them down, so I figure adding bump keys would be unnecessary for the game as they serve and function almost identically to lockpicks. The lockpick gun might also be unnecessary, but I thought it'd be an interesting addition to generic lockpick sets. 
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 48