Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Lose/Lose  (Read 4523 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Lose/Lose
« on: August 29, 2010, 12:34:30 pm »

Before anything else, let me say this: If you are a Mac user, do not download Lose/Lose unless you are looking to cripple your computer.

Right, now: Lose/Lose is an art project to create a game with real consequences. It's a simple space shooter like any other, except that the aliens represent files on your computer and your ship represents Lose/Lose. When you kill one, the file name appears above it's head and it is deleted. It starts with your documents and such, then moves on to your settings and software. When they kill you, Lose/Lose is deleted. Games usually end when Lose/Lose deletes itself or your flash player. The site linked above has a video of gameplay and a universal highscore list. Some people have classified it as a brilliant work of art, while others have condemned it as malware. It is only for Mac.

So I ask you, Bay 12, what do you think of this? And would you be crazy enough to play Lose/Lose?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:37:22 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Lose/Lose
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 12:40:11 pm »

Eh, just play that on a virtual machine or something.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 12:41:56 pm »

I suppose it could be useful if you were looking to free up space for other things and can't decide what to delete.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 12:43:49 pm »

wait, wait, wait. people... are going... to be downloading... a game... THAT DELETES YOUR FILES AND EVENTUALLY ITSELF?

how is this legal?
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 12:44:09 pm »

I've seen Youtube comments saying it would make a good way to have your computer pull a Taking You With Me if you ever got a extremely bad virus infection.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 12:44:32 pm »

Wasn't there a thread like this before?
I keep my diary, dream diary, personal ramblings, and a constantly updated list of personal flashes of insight on human nature on my computer along with a host of other things. So playing it would be like vaporizing portions of my own brain.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure you can bypass it by partitioning a drive and/or emulating windows.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:48:23 pm by Blaze »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 12:46:03 pm »

wait, wait, wait. people... are going... to be downloading... a game... THAT DELETES YOUR FILES AND EVENTUALLY ITSELF?

how is this legal?
Because it tells you. Unless you question the legality of a service that causes damage to yourself. In which case look towards the smoking and drinking industries.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 12:46:20 pm »

My search brought up nothing before, and now only this thread.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 12:53:15 pm »

...In fact, I remember seeing a revelant thread before, but under another name. Anywho, I can safely say that it is the simpliest game that could be created. The guy took an arcade game and linked your files to it. Then he made sure you know what you're doing. And what?

Code: [Select]
arvernus slaughtered 412 alien(s)

That's the highest score on the site. The guy literally murdered his files. But that's why we take such stuff and play it on a virtual machine, as I am doing now, with ten thousand .txt files containing the word "dicks" only. It's on.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 12:57:09 pm »

Lose/Lose thread.

And there's a much better freeware game : Directory Blaster. Just the same as lose/lose, except you choose the files you want deleted.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 01:14:21 pm »

It's just another shock game.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 01:54:13 pm »

It's Russian roulette with your files.
Hello Hunam

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 02:20:44 pm »

How easy would it be to submit a false score without ever even playing the game? Then, countless ambitious mac users would believe that it is real, and try to exceed it...

Why not create a program that "respawns" files as they are deleted, and a program that intercepts the deletion of system-critical files that would end the game if removed? Then you could juse play forever at no cost!
Eh?
Eh!

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 02:36:27 pm »

Lose/Lose thread.

And there's a much better freeware game : Directory Blaster. Just the same as lose/lose, except you choose the files you want deleted.
Oh my god. I love you.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 02:41:43 pm »

How easy would it be to submit a false score without ever even playing the game? Then, countless ambitious mac users would believe that it is real, and try to exceed it...

Do it do it do it
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5