Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Lose/Lose  (Read 4515 times)

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lose/Lose
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 03:25:19 am »

Does this game have any purpose beyond "pranking" people out of important documents?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 07:59:02 am »

Its a game for dumb people and people who know how to run a virtual machine.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 08:21:53 am »

I'm guessing permissions work the same way on a Mac as they do in Linux, and if they do, what if someone were to run this as a user with no permissions at all (making all the files unread/writable)?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 08:40:35 am »

Why would you play it on a virtual machine, though? If it's just a simple arcade shooter, there are better ones around, and not being able to cripple your computer removes the whole point. Would you play Russian roulette with an empty revolver? Hang yourself on a rope you know can't support your weight? Unless you care about your files so much that the thought of deleting them gives you some kind of adrenaline rush. Like bungee jumping. That... kind of makes sense?

Anyway, I think the concept is just hilariously witty. I feel kind of weird about being a fan of modern art, but I can't help it. :|

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2010, 09:06:30 am »

This is not a game.

This is not art.

This is the perfect tool for wreaking havoc on the computer of someone you hate.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2010, 09:16:54 am »

I think the perfect tool for that is a hammer. Or at least a virus that was actually designed to be a virus, so he doesn't have to run it himself. Like, to use this as a weapon, you'd need to get an enemy who uses macs and persuade him to install and play this really cool game without knowing what it is.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2010, 09:22:29 am »

Why would you play it on a virtual machine, though? If it's just a simple arcade shooter, there are better ones around, and not being able to cripple your computer removes the whole point. Would you play Russian roulette with an empty revolver? Hang yourself on a rope you know can't support your weight? Unless you care about your files so much that the thought of deleting them gives you some kind of adrenaline rush. Like bungee jumping. That... kind of makes sense?

Anyway, I think the concept is just hilariously witty. I feel kind of weird about being a fan of modern art, but I can't help it. :|

You have people who will play it because it is being talked about to see what it is about for themselves.  Didn't Curious George teach you anything?  :P
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2010, 09:25:32 am »

Dude.Not even I am dumb enough to run such bullshit.I'm serious who would want to fuck up their entire computer because of a game!?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2010, 09:43:16 am »

It would be a fun way to bid fairwell to an outdated computer, but that's about the only time I could consider myself playing it. Otherwise, I would worry about blasting something important, or something that would cripple one of the programs I run on my PC.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2010, 05:07:29 pm »

Someone email this game to Toady_One.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2010, 05:41:01 pm »

*Deletes dwarf fortress work from the past 10 years*
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2010, 05:47:09 pm »

It seems like a lot of people here don't understand the purpose of the project.

Here.

It's sort of a jab at the consequence-free nature of video games. The point is that killing things in the game has real-world consequences that you probably don't want. It's not really intended to be played straight as a typical videogame, and while running it in a virtual environment would be interesting just to check it out, it's kind of negating the point.

So yeah, it's not a "prank" (it's very clear about what it does); it would be damn near impossible to get someone to run this accidentally. The only time anything like that would happen is when someone doesn't realize that deleting random files off your computer will probably end up crippling your freaking operating system more often than not (in fact, I see a couple posters in this thread who seemed to miss the memo on this).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2010, 05:49:05 pm »

I would risk deleting something important on my computer if the "aliens" got more complicated/harder the more advanced the actual program is.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2010, 05:56:03 pm »

Last time this came up, I mentioned that one way to make a game have real consequences *without* making it damage files or anything else that would make people not want to play it, would be to have an optional overpowered weapon/magic/whatever flip a few random bits in one of your savefiles and/or some of the graphics files of the game, in such a way that the files are still useable, but altered. The weaker ones could only affect your save, while the more advanced ones could alter other saves, and the most advanced ones could alter the actual game files, ensuring that after a few months, the graphics, enemy power levels, sounds, text, etc. would be damaged to the point of making the game fairly difficult. Or not, in the case of altering a savefile, as one of the chosen bits could be something of the player's, and changing that bit would make the player stronger.

In fact, something somewhat similar to this exists in many popular games already: Roguelikes associate a negative but restricted effect with death when they implement a form of permadeath, as it only deletes your save file, and not random other ones.
Eh?
Eh!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2010, 07:14:50 pm »

Like making it so every time you click something a rickroll video comes up  :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5