Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Plant Overhaul  (Read 1771 times)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Plant Overhaul
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:22:29 am »

Hi everyone. I have some problems with the current way farming works, so I'm overhauling the whole thing to create a new, more difficult, and more 'accurate' (in its own way) farming system.

Plans at the moment:
- Remove all of the current plants, and replace most of them with similar ones. Plants will be deleted from the list when finished.
 Muck Root - Swamp Rye
 Bloated Tuber - Potato
 Prickle Berry - Grape
 Wild Strawberries - Strawberries
 Longland Grass - Wheat
 Valley Herb - Hemp
 Rat Weed - Rat Weed
 Fisher Berry - Blackberries
 Rope Reed - Flax

- Make underground plants grow year-round, and surface plants seasonal. LOGIC!

- Slow underground plant growth significantly. GROWDUR on standard plants is 700, and 500 on Cave Potatoes and Dwarven Cotton.

- Make more plants for more colours of dye (all the primary and secondary colours, plus black & white).
Dwarven Tormentil - red dye
Cave Elderberry - blue dye
Cave Mignonette - yellow dye
Dwarven Dubh - black dye
Bleachroot - white dye (couldn't find a natural white dye.)

A dye-blending job will let you make secondary colours, once I work that out. :D

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3041 - here's the download, follow the instructions on the page.

Comments, criticism, questions or advice is welcome!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:23:10 am by ungulateman »
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
Re: Plant Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 01:25:55 pm »

Sounds cool, I've been modding in new plants too  :)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 06:41:46 pm »

Don't forget to remake plump helmet men into cave potato men.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 03:22:25 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 12:18:16 am »

Of course!

"Dastot Veinmeshed likes cave potato men for their green eyes."

Edit: I'm putting the finishing touches on the cave potato. Pretty much I increased the GROWDUR to the default and changed the colour.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 04:14:02 am by ungulateman »
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 07:01:26 pm »

there was a big plant mod a while ago, maybe it could be used as a basis for a lot of newer ones

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 03:36:46 am »

Dwarven Cotton and Cave Wheat is done.

The new standard [GROWDUR] is 700. Cave Potatoes and Dwarven Cotton grows at the old standard rate.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 03:27:17 am »

Bump.

Still working on remaking the standard plants.

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 10:09:12 pm »

- Make underground plants grow year-round, and surface plants seasonal.

I have never understood why it's the other way around.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 11:18:47 pm »

Watchan'
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 11:58:37 pm »

Rope reeds should become flax, not cotton. Because flax grows about everywhere, and cotton doesn't. Also since rope reeds can only be found around water, that makes them seem more like flax. Sweet Pods would be better renamed to Hydnum, a family of sweet mushrooms. Plump Helmets should be renamed to shi'take mushrooms or something. Basically, all the underground plants should be fungus or moss or something, instead of being something that relies on light. Making a workshop that combines dyes would be cool too.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 01:31:14 am »

Be careful with increasing the time things take to grow, there was a bug floating around for DF2010 where any plant not ready for harvest but still planted was destroyed at season change.  I'm not sure if this affects year-round plants though, and it may have been fixed.  Test it out by planting 1 month before season change.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 03:37:43 am »

Okay, rope reeds will now be flax. I just figured it would be cotton because there aren't that many fiber-producing plants in the world.

I am not a fan of mushrooms for underground farming. They aren't plants, for a start.

I might make the coloured dyes created by mixing together the primary coloured dyes instead.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 09:46:18 am »

A while back, I made a similar mod that made vanilla crops seasonal: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61293.0

The basic mechanism behind it was the growing season of the crop being three seasons long, and the time taken for the crop to grow being two seasons long. Hence, the crop had to be planted the first season (e.g.spring) and harvested in the third season (e.g. autumn), just like in real-life farming cycles. Hence, exactly one crop per year.

Unfortunately, I never had the time to fully test out the mod (though an earlier version made in 40d worked well). There have been no problems reported, but I can't be sure that it works perfectly.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 08:36:45 pm »

I find making the planting take too long is discouraging, and people just go the broken-as-all-hell path of animal farming and importing all their booze/using a well.

I want to make farming attractive, but also make it take longer so that you aren't drowning in redundant food as often.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 08:40:16 pm »

What you might want to try is creating a series of reactions that supply a secondary purpose for each plant species. I'm not sure what you'd actually make that purpose, but if it's a good enough one, it'll both encourage people to be more considerate when it comes to using plants and actually be motivated to grow them in the first place.
Pages: [1] 2