Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf won't build bridge? (33d)  (Read 4177 times)

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
Dwarf won't build bridge? (33d)
« on: December 02, 2007, 02:47:00 am »

I'm not sure if this is actually a bug, or just my own incompetence. I'm currently trying to get a fort started on an area that requires bridging a small gap. My mason/engraver/building designer doesn't seem to want to build a bridge, however. He built a temporary one when they first arrived with no problems, but after I deconstructed it to build a larger, nicer, permanent one, he refuses to do it.

A granite block got left on the other side from the deconstruction, but he won't build ANY bridge, even if it doesn't touch the block... He's got all the correct labors enabled, because like I said, he built one bridge already. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Another thing I've noticed, my dwarves seem to disregard custom stockpile settings, making it rather difficult to create stockpiles just for seeds... but again, that might just be my own incompetence.

I can supply a save, if necessary.

Edit: Ok, after creating another food stockpile the dwarves seem to be using the seed stockpile just for seeds, so that's resolved. The bridge, however, is not. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm bridging over down ramps?

[ December 02, 2007: Message edited by: Tyrving ]

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf won't build bridge? (33d)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 03:58:00 am »

Gonna take a guess, the bridge job wants a path to the far side you don't have access too.  Try removing the bridge that isn't being built and replace with a bridge that stretches a couple tiles longer, overlapping the ground on the accessible side.

Try a new set of building materials.

If you want to trouleshoot your architect, assign a few supports to be built and see if he designs those properly.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 05:20:00 am »

It's possible that you managed to select the granite block to build the bridge with, in which case, it will never get built since the dwarf can't get to the block.  Remove the unbuilt bridge and designate another one, making sure you use components from only the correct side of the bridge.

Alternately, you could build another temporary bridge off to the side, and not take it down until the main bridge is actually built.  Again, you'll probably have to manually select which stones to use for the bridge so you don't end up trying to build it out of inaccessable stones.

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 08:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keldor:
<STRONG>It's possible that you managed to select the granite block to build the bridge with, in which case, it will never get built since the dwarf can't get to the block.  Remove the unbuilt bridge and designate another one, making sure you use components from only the correct side of the bridge.

Alternately, you could build another temporary bridge off to the side, and not take it down until the main bridge is actually built.  Again, you'll probably have to manually select which stones to use for the bridge so you don't end up trying to build it out of inaccessable stones.</STRONG>

I think that this was the problem, and that's exactly what I did to fix it. Thanks, both of you!