Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: copper arrows pierce adamantine breastplate...  (Read 1091 times)

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
copper arrows pierce adamantine breastplate...
« on: August 29, 2010, 01:39:16 am »

So the title speaks for itself how do i weaken projectiles in the raws?

My editing those dont seem to work...

This for me is a gamebreaker.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: copper arrows pierce adamantine breastplate...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 01:40:38 am »

Yeah, arrows went back up to magic status. It's partly a combination of their velocity and their contact area. Try lowering the former and increasing the latter.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 02:31:15 am »

Yeah that is kind of ridiculous. Still, I think it depends on the thickness of the metal if this were tried in real life. For example, I can pierce aluminum foil with a piece of wood or really just about anything. At some point, if you apply enough force against even a really hard material with a relatively soft one, the hard one will break. You also have to remember that pieces of armor might not be completely hard. They may use other materials for parts that need to bend or leave metal out to make it fit.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 02:41:20 am »

Well, in DF's case those soft parts are handled by the Chain armor pieces. The breastplate is a single, shaped piece of metal.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 04:54:02 am »

Alternatively, set up a danger room to train up your dwarves shield user ability =] a dwarf with a metal shield and legendary +5 shield user is essentially immune to all ranged attacks

-------
|XXXX|-
|BXXX 0
|XXXX|-
-------
the B a bed, or an armor stand to designate a barracks, 0 is the door
The "X"s are Spear traps
Load every spear trap with wooden spears, and link those to a lever or a repeating mechanism of some sort
have your dwarves train in the barracks, and the spears should make them level fighter and wrestler incredibly quickly
As long as you're wearing leather armour or above, I think the weapons should bounce off even then they hit, Admittedly, my guys are in steel, but I've seen some of my worker dwarves walk into the danger room, clean around a bit, and walk out, while the spears are active, totally unscathed
Also, make sure your dwarves don't have any stalkers, i.e. pets, children, babby's, or else... they'll die
painfully
alternatively, set a series of tightly locked doors and burrow your children away :P

Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 12:48:38 pm »

Alternatively, set up a danger room to train up your dwarves shield user ability =] a dwarf with a metal shield and legendary +5 shield user is essentially immune to all ranged attacks all attacks
Fixed it for you.

+1 vote for danger rooms.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 01:38:48 pm »

damm

thats an awesome idea thanks :D

i also decided to create a tiny tiny long ass bridge as my defense.

and no im not going to send melee dwarves there lol im fucking them up b4 they get to me.

if only underground towers worked the same as outside towers.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 11:51:42 pm »

as an atom smasher or to split up your opponents?
And what kind of dwarf are you, not engaging in melee,
THAT BE ELF WORK
to be honest, I have a squad of marksdwarves, but unfortunately, they're all attached tot heir bows or cross bows
I've trained then to legendary hammer, so they can hold their own, its just.... yeah
I keep them in a nice walled off tower

and what do you mean underground towers?
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 07:44:07 pm »

i mean basicly hollow out an inside of the mountain and make(carve/dig) a tower in a big dwarf-made cave.