Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Installing pre-generated fortresses/worlds  (Read 3882 times)

TicklemeHellmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Installing pre-generated fortresses/worlds
« on: August 28, 2010, 10:39:19 pm »

Because i've only recently began to play Dwarf Fortress the other day I decided to install the pre-generated tutorial world/fortress Bentgirder* to help me learn the basics of the game. The instructions given for installing the file said to just unzip it in my Dwarf Fortress directory and it would be ready to play. However, when I opened up the game I couldn't acess Bentgirder, only the fortress i'd already begun. Was there a specific place I should have extracted the file to? Do I need to delete my previous world in order to play the one i've installed?

* the page for the tutorial with a link to the download up top  http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Bentgirder

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Installing pre-generated fortresses/worlds
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 10:52:54 pm »

The file includes (empty) directories for extreme newbies that can't deal with directories very well. Not sure if you just opened the empty directories and just copied region0 directly to Dwarf Fortress's main directory (which you shouldn't do) or copied the whole thing, empty directories included to the main directory (which you should do). Anyway, enough with my babbling. The main thing is, is the "region0" folder has to be inside a "Save" folder inside the "Data" folder. Otherwise it won't work. No, you don't need to delete any previous worlds.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

TicklemeHellmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 11:00:43 pm »

The thing is the bentgirder download doesn't come in a folder for some reason. The only thing you download is the world/fortress (or whatever you'd call it) file itself. Or at least, that's what happens when I've downloaded it. I tried putting just the file into the save folder but it didn't do anything. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:16:22 pm by TicklemeHellmo »

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 01:14:47 am »

You need to unzip it with all it's subfolders using something able to handle 7z-files like 7zip or Izarc:
http://www.7-zip.org/
http://www.izarc.org/

If that ist not possible you may have a faulty download.

TicklemeHellmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 02:57:11 am »

I've installed 7-zip so i'll see if that works.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 05:36:55 am by TicklemeHellmo »

TicklemeHellmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 03:34:57 am »

I managed to extract the file contents to the save file but I still can't play Bentgirder. It's set up exactly how you specified but still no change.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 03:54:04 am »

Save "File"? ??? Do you mean folder?

Anyway, I can't tell what kind of problem you have. But the main things you have to do to get the fortress running are:
1: Extract all contents from the file.
2: Ensure that the folder "region0" and it's contents are in another folder named "save" (You may need to create the folder yourself), which itself should be in the "data" folder. The files MUST be in a folder inside the "save" folder. They WILL NOT work if you just put them directly in the "save" folder itself. Do not put them in the "current" folder.
3: Make sure you restart DF after doing these changes.
4: Start up DF again. Enjoy the fortress.

So, the end result should look like this, if it isn't then you did it wrong:

*DF directory*\data\save\region0 (or whatever you named the folder)\*save contents*
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 04:02:00 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

TicklemeHellmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 04:51:12 am »

First off sorry about my confusing use of file and folder interchangably I didn't really proof-read my posts. Now i've managed to use 7-zip on the file I downloaded. I now have another folder called data in my save folder. In this folder is the "save" folder and in that is the region0 folder.

So basically I have in my *DF directory*\data\save folder: The folders containing the data for my current save and the folder I got from extracting the file I downloaded using 7-zip which is named data for some reason, and in this is another folder( the "other" save folder) which in turn has the region0 folder in it. Did I fuck this up or is it just a matter of placing this "second" save folder in the appropriate place?

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 05:20:36 am »

Just use windows explorer to move the data-folder from your save-folder to the df-folder. It will ask to overwrite existent folders - click yes (they will not be overwritten, just get the stuff added).

The 7z-file contains the complete substructure of the DF-folder. It was supposed to be extracted to your DF-folder.

TicklemeHellmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 05:29:40 am »

Cool it's finally working! :) thanks for the help!(and for putting up with my badly worded posts)