Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25

Author Topic: Masters of magic.  (Read 28938 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of magic.
« Reply #315 on: December 25, 2010, 08:37:46 pm »

I'm waiting for this stupid tournament to be over and actual game turns to resume.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 26, 2010, 12:14:04 pm »

I'm waiting for this stupid tournament to be over and actual game turns to resume.
Eh, it should be over in another day or two.

The water around Xavius rushes inward, encasing him in a ball for a moment. Seconds later though, the water is pushed away, and Xavius begins to descend into the sand, digging downward rapidly.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 26, 2010, 06:46:59 pm »

You're more unhappy because you didn't have the time to join than because it puts the rest of the game on pause.

Oh, Dragnar, is there going to be an apocalypse soon, or are you waiting for the players to do it?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 26, 2010, 07:54:45 pm »

Oh, Dragnar, is there going to be an apocalypse soon, or are you waiting for the players to do it?
I wasn't PLANNING an apocalypse... Though I did just buy Darkstalkers...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 28, 2010, 05:25:21 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 28, 2010, 05:48:35 pm »

Xavius's hole is closed up behind him, and seconds later a muffled explosion is heard  from underground. Malak is the winner! Today's prize: the archmage, master of elementalism, will teach you the meaning of any 2 magic words. (slightly better prize this time, since more players were completing)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 28, 2010, 06:05:00 pm »

Phantasmal! I was hoping for an artifact of some kind, but this should be great as long as it's not given like the starting words. Although, I guess even if it is that vague, I did learn plenty from the matches.

My cloud moves out of the arena in a ridiculous looking fashion...

Have the other players sent their actions in? And are those actions for the tournament day or tomorrow?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 28, 2010, 06:55:25 pm »

Oh yeah: Next turn! New actions everyone!

The next day of the tournament is a sort of scavenger hunt. It's also stupidly biased. Whoever impresses the archmage the most with an enchanted item of any kind will be declared the winner.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 29, 2010, 07:10:16 am »

Xavius grumbles at his defeat and then grumbles some more at today's retarded challenge. He heads home instead.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 29, 2010, 11:27:40 am »

bring out the contestants, in order of success?

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 31, 2010, 03:01:19 am »

For just the duels?
4. The old man.
3. Ganth
2. Xavius
1. Croix
 For the whole tournament; there are still three days left.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 10, 2011, 01:26:25 pm »

Sorry about the delay, I was distracted by school starting back up. Turn later today.

Edit: or not. Didn't expect the professor to assign a huge amount of homework to make up for him being snowed in...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 06:07:31 pm by dragnar »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 12, 2011, 09:51:16 pm »

New turn!

Much to the archmage's annoyance, he received no submissions for his most recent contest, and he allowed his subordinates to design today's challenge: Another magical contest, this time showing off not combat capabilities but simple flare. Each wizard will put on a show for several judges, and at the end the one with the highest score wins.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 13, 2011, 11:14:39 am »

sent in my submission by PM. This is one that actually fits my character I think. PM if you have any questions.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 14, 2011, 05:32:11 am »

Interesting how showmanship is so often the purview of the mage, as is artifact creation, but I found myself expecting the challenges would escalate in danger each day, and felt some bumbling relative of disappointment with these last two. Perhaps if the archmage had offered the school facilities for enchantment, and added a twist to their use...
 Although I do have ideas, I think I'll let Kraz take the stage, perhaps he'll prove to be less generic than when he graduated.

Random event:(I've decided to have something random happen every turn. It might be relevant to the current situation, it might just be current events to fill out the game world.)
News has reached the academy of one of it's graduates taking over a distant city.[...]
We really needed to have random events during the Academy's random event. It would have been much more fun if they had been building up this whole time; that way everyone could feel like they'd been left out!
 More specifically, what has that Melkiv been up to? What rumors have been spinning around about all the wizards and other powers of the world? I could probably whip up a vague map from a vague description, just to give the game a bit more coherency. I keep hoping to hear about unusual or spicious events like one might feel ripples in an underground lake...I think I asked about this once before, so perhaps I just need to do more to encourage it.

The Hamlet of Elenai is primarily defined by it's proximity to the wizard Academy of Archmage Vertillis. It is small▬ no more than 3000 souls call it home; none farther than three leagues from town center▬, and lies in plains among hills and forest patches (both of which thicken towards the academy [in the south-east?]). No country or lord lays claim to it's land, and no army attacks it, for they fear of the Academy's horrible experiments and mystical power, but the villagers know better. Although there are some monstrous creatures, and some terribly powerful wizards, neither are very disruptive to daily life. Edrick's Guard is alert and well practiced (enough to do well with only wooden barricades or pike barricades, before that great gothic wall was raised), and besides coming to clean up their messes or purchase food (or lodgings in the case of "alumni"), the wizards keep to themselves. The council is elected freely from (and by) promising and willing villagers, while taxes are kept to a sensible minimum. Work payment from the passing wizard and a fine irrigation system frees up a larger percentage of the population from farming; a modest set of guilds teach and organize skilled craftsmen, some of whom are just finding something to do when the planting is done and the harvest is still coming. Multiple bars dot the town, but there is only one official inn; The Final Rest (home to the Final Innkeep).
 Recently, stone towers were erected in the distant forests, but if one were to look carefully about the roots of old, one would find the broken masonry with the unique sculpting of wizard hands. Each generation these towers rise, and each generation the mages go on to other places and demolish what they leave behind. The landscape is sprinkled with these barely discernible ruins, although some of them where built more sturdily than the other's, and still offer hiding places for the monsters that get loose.
 ...Still not enough details, but it's meant to be a kind of prompt.

Mages:
 (Nirur Torir) Frederick XXII - He simply must have Power Word: Eternity of Torment.
 (Nivm) Croix - He is not on fire and, astonishingly enough, he is not dead.
 (Armok) Krazongol - The south south-west tower is probably his.
 (Virex) Christopher - His personal letters mysteriously become public knowledge sometimes.
 (Techno65535) Igniarli - He walked into the woods, and from the academy a tower can be seen on the horizon of his path.
 (Poltifar) Xavius - Known as the Bleached Wizard.
 (Neyvn) Neyvn - Beware his shifting voice!
 (RAM) Ramirez - His name is not a magic word.
 Melkiv - "the Omnimancer" He took over a distant city by means of public support.
 The old man - Alchemist obviously; left when the tournament ended.
 Ganth - Mage of Light; ditto ↑ .

Oh, and I still need to send in today's action.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25