Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: you call THAT tame?  (Read 806 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
you call THAT tame?
« on: September 23, 2007, 06:12:00 am »

I've just had 10 dwarves trampled by my TAME elephants.
They were newly caught, tamed by my trapper. But when I wanted to transfer them to a built cage to subsequently release them, they ran amok, killing any dwarf they met. Luckily they met my marksdwarves pretty soon.
Only thing I can think of is, they were named elephants. Before they strayed into my cage traps, they both killed a dwarf (thus being named). So it seems that there is some kind of a tag that says: "HAVE...TASTED...BLOOD...NEED...MORE..." that is not affected by proper taming. Good thing is that my marksdwarves recognized them as being hostile. In the animal list they were described as [name], stray elephant, tame. Is this a known bug or a bloodthirsty feature?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
Re: you call THAT tame?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 06:38:00 am »

It is what ever you want it to be, young one.
"It's unpossible!"

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 12:29:00 pm »

Other people have posted events like this. It is likely due to the elephants' named status. I've tamed unnamed elephants before without incident. They make excellent chasm defence.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

kitsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »

I just had this happen the other day too.  I harassed some elephants with the express purpose of trapping them, but my band of recruits were too slow.  I lost something like three dabbling wrestlers and gained two legendary named elephants and one ordinary elephant.  After release the two legends joined up and slaughtered about ten more dwarves before being killed.  One even hid in a back room to recover before coming back for a few final kills.  Luckily no one important was killed, and  both Es died right in front of the butcher's shop  :)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 07:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Shzar:
<STRONG> I've tamed unnamed elephants before without incident. They make excellent chasm defence.</STRONG>

I KNOW. My previous fortress was rich indeed with tame elephant roast and trampled kobolds  :D

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 11:52:00 pm »

This has been noted often enough it's practically a feature.  I mean, the concept of an elephant that has tasted dwarf blood and can thus never truly be safe is awesome.  But the "taming" process tricks your dwarves into believing that they are safe... making them easier prey.