Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cannot build road on excessively rocky outdoors  (Read 804 times)

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cannot build road on excessively rocky outdoors
« on: November 16, 2006, 12:35:00 am »

I'm currently playing on a cold, treeless, riverless map.  There are several places where I can't place a road outdoors (I've been building bridges over those spots instead).  

The "forbidden" parts seem to correspond to areas where there is a high concentration of exposed stone instead of "mud/dirt".

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot build road on excessively rocky outdoors
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 12:47:00 am »

If the area of the road has 1/3rd it's total tiles covered by rough stone, it can't be built, [so i dont think that it's a bug; it's too regular to be as such. Even if it is, it makes sense... Yet another unintended "feature"]

[I think it's yet another exploit for bridge use. If you use them to cross the wilderness, the 'detail the rough stones' phase of building a road ceases to exist, as well as any physical obstacles like rivers... And at the expense of the same amount of stone /blocks]

[ November 16, 2006: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 02:07:00 am »

I had that once, unfortunately it didn't occur to me to use a bridge until much later.  

You *can* build a road there, it is just a pain in the ass.  The trick is to build it in small sections instead of big sections.  You may have to go all the way down to 1*1 segments in between the really rocky bits.  Ugh.

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 06:14:00 am »

And make sure to smooth the stone that was in the way once you've built the road there.
''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 01:21:00 am »

That seems really annoying.  I suppose there will have to be eventually changes to how buildings react to being built in more than one component.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 03:47:00 am »

Well, what's really annoying is the werewolf that won't get off the damn road I'm trying to finish building.  (He's not stuck.  But I am.)

EDIT: Would this qualify as road rage?

[ November 17, 2006: Message edited by: Maximus ]

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 04:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>That seems really annoying.  I suppose there will have to be eventually changes to how buildings react to being built in more than one component.</STRONG>

Why would they need to be built in multiple components anyways.  Why not just have a drag and select interface like with mining.  You would drag select where you want the road/bridge, and the dwarves would allocate the necessary stone/blocks/wood/dirt (let us select which we want to make it out of)  They would build it in increments that would be related to how much each block can be used for.  Say it's 4 sections a block, they will drag a block out and build the first 4 sections, then someone else can drag a block out and create the next 4, etc.  It would be a lot more efficient IMO.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 10:38:00 pm »

It's do-able, but it's not always clear which blocks they should pick, and they have to check a lot of different factors.  I'll think about it later.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 10:41:00 am »

I don't know if it would be in a part of the code I could look at.  If it is when I get time I could take a look at it and maybe offer a suggestion or 2 on how to do it.