Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: (Another) practical guide to military training (long)  (Read 9964 times)

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Another) practical guide to military training (long)
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 08:39:20 am »

This is really, really useful...  I knew that training worked and they wouldn't kill each other with real weapons, but I did not know that demonstrations worked now--or that you could tweak the number of dwarfs in the squad that get activated.  How do you get them to conduct a demo?

Something I disagree about is your squad sizes, I don't see any reason for having full time military squads 10 full, you can set up their orders so they'll cycle through training/defending burrows/being civilians/eating pretty easily.

Tips for that?  Pretend you're talking to a complete noob who usually gives up on military action after werewolves rip the heads off every dwarf in their military...  :P

No orders = civilian mode?

Well, not really, if you keep your dwarves constantly in an "active" state they're not considered civilians until they don't have anything to do on their schedule, however if you don't have enough orders in the schedule to cover all the dwarves in the squad, when a dwarf who is training/defending/whatever gets hungry/thirsty/tired, they'll switch from civilian to whatever orders the squad has outstanding.  I don't know how well I've explained it, but once you do it yourself you'll understand it's pretty flexible and you don't need to have squads ever on inactive status.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 08:47:52 am »

Is training wrestling necessary? What does it actually do in combat when your dwarves have weapon+shield?

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 08:50:43 am »

Is training wrestling necessary? What does it actually do in combat when your dwarves have weapon+shield?

Don't quote me on this, but I recall it playing a part in maybe dodge rolls, however personally I just train shields+weapon skill.

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 10:21:05 am »

Beat them with pointy sticks- they'll learn to dodge quite fast.
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 10:38:16 am »

If you assign a 10 dwarf squad but say only 7 need to be active at a time then, theoretically, 7 of them would be training at any given time and the other three may be off getting provisions, drinking, doing their civilian job, etc.

But in my testing I've seen that more than 3 dwarfs in a squad with 2 required, most of the time the rest are standing around waiting for the rest of the dwarves to show up for demonstrations.  Once I had more than five dwarves in a squad, with either most of them required or only a couple required, there wasn't nearly as much training as with the 3/2.  YMMV of course.  This is only what I've experienced.

I personally also find 3 dwarf squads better for cross-training.  In (yet another) fort for testing military training, I had three dwarves reach Great/Master while my other axedwarf squad was still down at Adequate.  I swapped one of my Masters from the first squad into the second, and they started to skill up much faster, as did the Novice that got swapped into the advanced squad. 

I haven't tried doing this with more than 3 dwarves.  It's possible that the master level dwarf could give demonstrations to several of the others at once and have them all raise skills much faster when he is that much higher level. 
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 05:26:24 pm »

edit..new topic started
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:38:17 pm by Gatallorsith »
Pages: 1 [2]