Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Citystate, the strategy game of dying. Horribly.  (Read 4787 times)

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
Citystate, the strategy game of dying. Horribly.
« on: August 26, 2010, 07:08:08 pm »

This is a test for a game concept I have, mainly because I'm too lazy to figure out how to actually code the damned thing though also so I can go into a bit more depth in some mechanics.

Also, just a heads up, you WILL die. If you don't, the game's not hard enough, which means I will have to change that.

I'll post rules once we have enough people that I can make all of your maps (which will be ASCII and pseudo-randomly generated, I might add)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 10:07:37 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
Re: Citystate, the strategy game of dying. Horribly. PLAYERS WANTED!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 07:36:43 pm »

in

Losing is FUN!

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 07:40:59 pm »

A game about dying? IN! IN! IN! IN! IN!!!!!!111!!!!oneone!!shift+one!!
*Ahem* In
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 07:55:56 pm »

O_o

A game about dying?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 08:15:20 pm »

Dying to play this...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 08:42:22 pm »

Realizing how little incentive I've left for players to actually play this game, I think I'll go ahead and post what I have planned for map generation here. Note that this is a system I'm pretty much making up on the spot, so please go ahead and point out incongruities you find.:

1. Fertility. This primarily determines yields from farms, as well as the overall abundance of life in the area (which can be a bad thing). Determined by a random number 20-100.
   -Secret Hidden Fun Stuff is generated by high rolls here.

2. Water:
  - New variable: waterAmount
  - How much rainfall? Determined by a random number, 0-10. This number is then added to waterAmount.
  - River? Determined by random number, 0-10. waterAmount is subtracted from the value before checking. 4 or less generates no river, 5-10 generates a river.
  - Aquifer? Determined by random number, 0-10, with waterAmount being subtracted from the value before checking. 4 or less generates no aquifer, 5-10 generates an aquifer.

3. Mineral wealth/Elevation. Determines the overall mineral wealth and hilliness of the area. Hilly areas are more difficult to build in, though will always have more mineral wealth. Determined by a random number 10-100.
   -Secret Hidden Fun Stuff is generated by high rolls here.

4. Biome. Determined by a random number, 0-5. 4-5 generates a special hidden biome. Each biome has its own pros and cons, wildlife, difficulties and benefits. (Need help defining benefits for biomes)
   - Forest: Plentiful wood, increased chance of possible hidden benefits (herbs, ruins, etc), difficult to explore, dense wildlife.
   - Desert: Little surface resources, often difficult to farm, sparse wildlife, relatively easy to explore (if you bring enough water).
   - Swamp: Plentiful wood, greatly increased chance of hidden benefits, near-impossible to explore, hostile and dense wildlife.
   - Grassland: Average, some wildlife, no changes to hidden benefits, relatively easy to explore.
   - Coast? Determined by random number, 0-5. 0-3 is inland, 4-5 is coast.
   - Coast provides access to ocean. This is both a good and bad thing.

5. Fun Stuff. Not everything generated here is immediately visible.
   - New variable: funBalance
   - Every iteration generates a random number, which is discarded at the end. First iteration ignores number. Random number is 0-50 If the number is 0-35, the iteration continues. Otherwise, map generation completes.
   - A random number is rolled to determine how good or bad the Fun Stuff is. Random number is 0-100, 0-15 is a game-breaker, 16-40 is negative, 41-60 is neutral, 61-80 is mostly positive with some negative, 81-95 is positive, 96-100 is very positive.
   - funBalance is subtracted from the above number.
   - The above number is checked, and suitable Fun Stuff is generated.
   - The above number minus 50 is added to funBalance.

6. The map is drawn, using these as guidelines for surrounding areas.

PSUEDOEDIT: Huh, didn't expect there to be so much interest... so is that 4 people so far? I think I'll stop recruitment and start generating maps at 6-8 people.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:05:22 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 08:56:14 pm »

HECK MATE THAT LOOKS EPIC IN ITSELF!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 08:57:40 pm »

HECK MATE THAT LOOKS EPIC IN ITSELF!!!

Well, that's encouraging... There'll be plenty more fun like that once we actually start.

Also, I don't like how water is generated with this method... there's too high a chance of there being rain and too low a chance of there being anything else. Maybe make them all be a 50% chance, or decreasing the rainfall's affect on everything else?

EDIT: I must decide on the game's scale... I want to do Dwarf Fortress scale, but I'm afraid that that may be tiresome to draw. I'll try doing it at the scale I want it to be and see what happens...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:18:12 pm by abculatter_2 »

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 09:32:09 pm »

IN!!!!!!!!!
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 09:38:05 pm »

5... Good, good...

After a brief consideration of how complex world gen is (that post is just generating your immediate surroundings, this game will take place in an entire world) I've decided to go ahead an start making the world map. Scale is still a difficult thing to decide upon, even for the world map... too big and war/diplomacy will be impossible, too small and the map won't be interesting enough.

EDIT: And more trouble with scale... how long should a turn be? I was originally going to go with 1 turn = 1 day, which is then divided into 24 hours, but that's just ridiculous. Now I'm thinking either monthly turns with 30 days within them, or seasonal turns divided into 3 months with 4 weeks each.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:51:18 pm by abculatter_2 »

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 09:52:01 pm »

I'd say go with the second option. Seasonal.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 09:52:10 pm »

Ug, won't be able to do this. I have so many things.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 09:57:52 pm »

Alrighty then. I'll give your map to someone else...

I have to go to bed now. I'll try to get the world map done tomorrow.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 11:24:41 pm »

In.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 03:10:27 am »

In. If there are still free spots.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4