Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: D.C. - Capital of the Dwarven Republic - Megaproject  (Read 3726 times)

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
Re: D.C. - Capital of the Dwarven Republic - Megaproject
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 08:49:41 pm »

Hmm.. Yeah. Then I could toss a ton of 'books' into the Library of Congress.

Perhaps the Lincoln Memorial should be renamed the "Tholtig Memorial?"

"In this Temple, as in the hearts of the people, for whom he saved the Union, the memory of Tholtig CryptBrain is enshrined forever."

Eh? -Shrugs- It'd make more sense than Lincoln.
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 08:51:14 pm »

I vote yes on SPEED:0 , if only because the sheer volume of space you're going to need warrants its use to keep low FPS from dragging the project out.

Also, perhaps make the reflecting pool run red with blood? Smears travel so fast in this version, and it'd go well with the Tholtig Memorial.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 09:01:11 pm »

Alright. I agree, It'd be better to keep things fast, since it's going to take a while, and things will surely start to lag when the project gets bigger.

And, I'll try. It shouldn't be hard to fill the pool with blood, but yeah.

I'm going to go ahead and pick out an embark site, and try and see if everything will fit in it.

It's going to be hard to decide where to mine. Especially if I want to include metro stations. @_@

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 09:05:40 pm »

Couldn't you just throw a few small finished goods stockpiles in the museum of art and have a stonecrafter or something make some crap really quick?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 09:15:36 pm »

Probably yeah, along with statues and such.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 09:35:44 pm »

Update time~

The fort shall be named DuradCos (Bearded Cakes) cause it's... D.C.
The group is named The National Land.
The starting 7 are named after historical figures.

I'll provide an update every so often, most likely when I finish one of the constructions or so.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 10:34:17 pm »

There is a dwarven academy mod of sorts, if you're ok with modding things in. Look for the "Higher Learning Mod" in the forums. Libraries, medical wards, training centers, and printing presses to provide books and tablets (guides). Handy for training obscure skills too!

I say this because I would love to see the Library of Congress included. Plus it gives useless dwarfs something to do besides idle.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 10:44:22 pm »

If you know what embark size you are going to use (the actual fortress mode number, that is) you could take an image of the map and overlay a grid at the scale you want to use.  This could allow you to, at the least, know how big to make each building so they are all in scale with each other.

Every time I read one of these it inspires me to come up with one of my own. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 10:52:51 pm »

Thanks for the Advice, Snook. I'll mod my game and add in the library. :3

Krenshala: How can I tell the size of my map? I'd love to be able to do exact measurements. Based off the map size.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 11:00:49 pm »

I've heard numbers (48 tiles per embark tile?) but I'm too new at the game to have learned them ... yet.  You might try the wiki ... or just wait for one of our learn'd elders to post that bit of wisdom. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 11:05:34 pm »

Ah, alright. Cause I've got a decent embark size, and I started constructing the Washington Monument, but it feels too small compared to the rest of the map. 7x7 for the monument. So.. Idk.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 11:28:38 pm »

-Shrugs-

I closed the game without saving it. I'm gonna like, export the blank map and then like, draw on it. I need to know exactly what I'm working with. o:

Like, I started to work on the monument, but then wasn't sure how it would line up with everything else. x-x

Here is a screenshot I accidentally took:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Judging from it's looks on Stonesense, it would need to be 10-15 z levels tall, if not more. But 7x7 does look alright.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:34:11 pm by Kamudo »

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 11:37:28 pm »

Smithsonian should be stockpiles an such.
The national gallery of art should be statues and artifacts

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2010, 12:02:03 am »

Mmm... Maybe.

I agree on the Gallery of art though.

I'm going to re-embark, now that I have the Higher Learning mod installed.

I'm considering 4x8 completely flat. Sounds good?

Edit: I'm gonna go play a bit of Fallout 3. I'll continue later on tonight, and will respond to any questions/comments.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:21:45 am by Kamudo »

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2010, 04:26:09 pm »

Update time, children.

For some reason, I'm unable to upload the diagram/mapping I did for spacing. Anyways, I now have a correct spacing placed for The Tholtig Memorial, Reflecting Pool, and the Washington Monument. I'll post pics as soon as construction is underway. Unfortunately, I'm removing the National World War II monument that resides in between the Monument and the pool. It'll be replaced with a road or something. Sorry. =/ I need the room for other buildings. I've also come to the understanding that I'm going to have to remove the Smithsonian Castle. It takes up a ton of space, and I really just don't want to deal with building it.

The map I'm working with is 6x10, I believe. For now, the Dwarfs: Washington, Revere, Franklin, Jefferson, Adams, Tesla and Hancock, are mostly constructing the Washington Monument.

Edit: Got it to upload, just pretty poor quality.

http://i37.tinypic.com/vxg7pz.png

The measurements are pretty precise, even if it just looks like scribbles. ^^;
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 04:39:24 pm by Kamudo »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4