Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Why didn't you people tell me sooner? Dead State  (Read 23511 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Why didn't you people tell me sooner? Dead State
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2010, 10:26:38 am »

Fort zombie? that game was very hard to satisfy with my computer build. its great but the ai really needs some work into it.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2010, 11:06:50 am »

Fort zombie? that game was very hard to satisfy with my computer build. its great but the ai really needs some work into it.

Hence we have:

While at the same time cursing the incompetence and fragility of AI allies, since you don't see a lot of action/FPS games with good allied AI unless they are specifically scripted, brokenly buffed, the enemy only ever aims for you, or they get free respawns.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2010, 12:18:01 pm »

OK i am looking forward to this. Turn based tactical combat where you don't have direct control over your team, but can issue orders and they thing for themselves based on various factors like personality and your relationship with them. AWESOME.

They even drew a parallel to Jagged Alliance in the interview, DOUBLE AWESOME.
I got nothing

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2010, 12:46:40 pm »

I'm pretty excited for it, the engine looks great (based off Age of Decadence's tools and with shared artists on that project).

Brian posts weekly dev updates on their forums, which are piggybacked on Iron Tower Games site. That place is like the mecca of indie CRPGs.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2010, 01:39:19 pm »

Having read up now, I'm very excited. I actually found a lot of joy in Fort Zombie, it was just so horribly broke in some places it killed the fun. (The fort defense still runs like crap, and I have a quad core, 512meg card and 4 gigs of memory.)

This sounds excellent, and I'm glad someone is still doing TBS. I'm big on games that try to model psychology too, and the zombie apocalypse is a great test bed to use. Very much looking forward to it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2010, 02:07:25 pm »

If I can add my 2 cents to this:

I probably won't be afraid of the zombies, since the entire point here is that you can avoid them altogether by running away, and just staying out of their sight. This game isn't about being afraid of zombies though, it's being afraid of people, about what they'll do to you. It's about competing with people for survival, about making decisions that people will hate, about not being able to support people and so on. This is the kind of game you should expect, this is the kind of stuff you see in movies and books, and it's about damn time someone made an effort to bring this into a videogame. This is the pie  in the sky version of a game I wanted to make, where the problem isn't zombies, they just happen to be in the way, but people. As far as I'm concerned, if you find the zombies worrying, then you aren't really paying attention to what this game is trying to be. A zombie isn't that challenging an obstacle to face unless it's in a group, and to fight a group of them, you need a group of people, but people here are not reliable. It's about getting people to help you out, getting people who oppose you out of the way, and stopping people from going against you. Zombies serve as the backdrop, as the cause of all this, but ultimately they are the weakest and have already culled the weakest, least useful, people off the planet. And now you have to ally and contend with these survivors, fight tooth and nail over resources, and once in a blue moon, hold out against the horde of zombies you attracted.

Again, if you think the focus is about zombies, either killing them or running from them, you are dead run. It's about people, whether that's helping them, killing them, or hiding from them. The zombies just serve as the backdrop.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2010, 02:32:00 pm »

clapclapclap

Yeah.  It's about damn time someone made a game about the human condition.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2010, 02:44:27 pm »

Zombies serve as the backdrop, as the cause of all this, but ultimately they are the weakest and have already culled the weakest, least useful, people off the planet.

I don't know... some people out there can just be really lucky...  I'm betting players will find 1 or 2 'useless' survivors...

Or at least useless in the way that they rarely listen and oppose you at every turn, but still sticks around anyways cause they are too afraid to go out on their own...  (Will take your good guys with them if given a chance though...)
Might actually run into that if all your decisions some how go counter-point to that survivor...  Like being a ruthless or excessively... compromising leader.

Otherwise... +1
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 02:46:37 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2010, 02:46:11 pm »

Zombies serve as the backdrop, as the cause of all this, but ultimately they are the weakest and have already culled the weakest, least useful, people off the planet.

I don't know... some people out there can just be really lucky...  I'm betting players will find 1 or 2 'useless' survivors...

Or at least useless in the way that they rarely listen and oppose you at every turn, but still sticks around anyways cause they are too afraid to go out on their own...  (Will take your good guys with them if given a chance though...)

Otherwise... +1

Pretty sure Brian already brought up that there will even be a couple whole groups of useless folks who just got lucky:D On the opposite end of the spectrum, there will also be highly trained militias who have been preparing for this for ages.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2010, 03:00:40 pm »

It's sounding like it's going to be pretty gritty too....as in, NPCs with believable (and really unlikable) positions and opinions. When he singled out Texas militias I got a Branch Davidian, Minute Men kind of vibe.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2010, 03:06:13 pm »

I think this game could potentially be awesome.  I love survival games, which is why I'm a big DF fan.  But most of those out there are those run-and-gun action games or those one-character setups like Stranded 2.  Having to be willing to go out and scavange for food, deal with the politiks of being a leader during a major crisis, fighting and arguing with other survival groups and having to worry about the antibiotics in order to discrease the chance of infection is awesome.

Another thing that gets me is the prospect of being able to upgrade your home base.  I hope there's extensive customization and building with this system, sense it seems you'll either be producing all of the gadgets and the like for your group. *Nod nods* Keep me informed and I'll be a happy camper.  8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2010, 03:58:23 pm »

Just a heads up for people who like the human element of this genre, plus having a home base and building your own upgrades for it.  You might consider digging up the TV serial "The Colony".  It shouldn't be too hard to find online.  No zombies, but it does take place in a postapocalyptic LA, where the survivors are holed up in an abandoned factory and have to figure out how to get clean water, food and medicine, how to generate power, and how to deal with external (and internal!) human threats.

Oh yeah.  And it's a reality show.  As in the 'survivors' are just random people (with excellent life skills, thankfully) that they chucked into this factory.  You would not BELIEVE what a good, skilled engineer can come up with; if it wasn't a reality show, I would have rolled my eyes at his creations as being contrived and unrealistic.  Like generating natural-gas-like fuel by heating up wood.  And actually building and using a tesla coil for survival purposes.  So goddamn awesome.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2010, 04:32:46 am »

I love the "Colony".

Man, I so want this. Too bad it'll never be released on teh XBAWXORZ...
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2010, 06:13:20 am »

If only half of the stuff promised in the interview is true, this game is going to be legen- wait for it

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2010, 09:44:03 am »

Looked through the offerings of Iron Tower studios, and if they ever manage to release a game, I will be happy. Their Age of Decadence game looks and sound like a lot of fun and will likely be out a lot sooner than the zombie game.
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11