Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Why didn't you people tell me sooner? Dead State  (Read 23500 times)

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
Re: Why didn't you people tell me sooner? Dead State
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 06:10:26 pm »

Xaolin Spades, yo. Xaolin Spades and Lobos.
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 06:12:16 pm »

I just need mah hunting rifles and mah machetes.

GOOD TO GO MOTHERFUCKERS
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 06:53:22 pm »

I was really excited, and I'll probably play it, but I don't like the turn-based thing.  It's not my cuppatea.

This here makes you pretty much my arch enemy. Turn-based is the shit and I think a very, very large percentage of Bay12ers will probably back me. The dude mentions both X-COM and Jagged Alliance in the interview and that has me more stoked than anything.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 06:54:59 pm »

I just hope I can get this game.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 10:42:26 pm »

I was really excited, and I'll probably play it, but I don't like the turn-based thing.  It's not my cuppatea.

This here makes you pretty much my arch enemy. Turn-based is the shit and I think a very, very large percentage of Bay12ers will probably back me. The dude mentions both X-COM and Jagged Alliance in the interview and that has me more stoked than anything.

Turn-based is fine but I would prefer shootan zombies with my own hands.  And with my own hands I mean the mouse.
Shoes...

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 11:56:50 pm »

I have and always will prefer turn based combat for most games.
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Kvasir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 12:11:46 am »

I'm not a fan of zombies or apocalyptic settings, but I'm still excited about this game. The sort of freedom described in the interview is exactly what I want to experience in a turn-based strategy.

I just hope it turns out well, and I don't get my expectations up too high. 

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 12:12:40 am »

with zombies? hell no, the zombie genre has always been associated with hordes of walking corpses with the taste for fresh humans. im not waiting every turn for each damn zombie to move closer to me while im running away. this isn't final fantasy where this is one uber unit that 3 people can gang up on, this is a frackload of weak zombies with a lucky chance to get you.

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 12:13:58 am »

with zombies? hell no, the zombie genre has always been associated with hordes of walking corpses with the taste for fresh humans. im not waiting every turn for each damn zombie to move closer to me while im running away. this isn't final fantasy where this is one uber unit that 3 people can gang up on, this is a frackload of weak zombies with a lucky chance to get you.
In favor of not starting an argument, I will say that you have a valid point even though I do not think that you do.
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 12:23:39 am »

I feel like having realtime combat could add a lot to the 'scariness' or 'tension' of the game. Turn based is more of an intellectual tension than a visceral, 'I'm-shootin'-zombies-and-other-survivors-are-after-me' feeling. But, I do like turn based games, so I suppose we'll see how it turns out. I am cautiously optimistic.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 12:24:38 am »

I feel like having realtime combat could add a lot to the 'scariness' or 'tension' of the game. Turn based is more of an intellectual tension than a visceral, 'I'm-shootin'-zombies-and-other-survivors-are-after-me' feeling. But, I do like turn based games, so I suppose we'll see how it turns out. I am cautiously optimistic.

X. COM. I have never felt as much tension in a real time game as in this one. The added factor of not being able to see outside character FOV adds a lot to that, and hence why Dead State is using that system.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2010, 12:25:52 am »

In favor of not starting an argument, I will say that you have a valid point even though I do not think that you do.

i do, in every zombie scenario there is usually a outbreak or random event that create zombies. the  zombies attack humans creating more and more until we are at a apocalyptic state. factors supporting the horde scenario is the zombie's immunity to pain making them unstoppable against flesh wounds, blood loss would take forever and can cause infections by poor sanitation, severing nerves is hard with a single bullet and even then the brain does not control involuntary movements, the spinal cord does and to clearly take that out you would most likely use a shotgun. also, its hard to contain outbreaks, something will go wrong (murphy's law).

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2010, 12:28:08 am »

i do, in every zombie scenario there is usually a outbreak or random event that create zombies. the  zombies attack humans creating more and more until we are at a apocalyptic state. factors supporting the horde scenario is the zombie's immunity to pain making them unstoppable against flesh wounds, blood loss would take forever and can cause infections by poor sanitation, severing nerves is hard with a single bullet and even then the brain does not control involuntary movements, the spinal cord does and to clearly take that out you would most likely use a shotgun. also, its hard to contain outbreaks, something will go wrong (murphy's law).

I honestly cannot see what point you're trying to make, no offence. Also a shotgun is going to be a really bad idea since the zombie AI is based primarily on hunting by Sound and finding the first thing it sees. The chainsaw/shotgun fantasies will get you killed in a game like this. Go play Left 4 Dead if that's your style, this is planned as a survival game, not an action shoot-em-up

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2010, 12:30:26 am »

i didn't say i was into the action crap, i hide more often than battle. im saying you cannot base a zombie game using a turn based system relying on time units. survival games are usually real time to simulate senses without some stupid message popping or waiting to correct the error, Thief anyone?.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:34:48 am by bloodsheder »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2010, 12:44:22 am »

i didn't say i was into the action crap, i hide more often than battle. im saying you cannot base a zombie game using a turn based system relying on time units. survival games are usually real time to simulate senses without some stupid message popping or waiting to correct the error, Thief anyone?.

Looks like they just did, and honestly I think it's going to work out. Fallout is a clear inspiration for this and it's easily one of if not the greatest RPGs of all time. Fully turnbased in combat. X-com is another great example for terror and stealth working wonders in turn-based. I have no idea how you say they 'cannot' make this work.

Also the main enemies of the game it sounds like are not the zombies, but the other human survivors - the zombies are an ever present hungry threat but a human who wants your supplies is going to be far, far more dangerous.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11