Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Why didn't you people tell me sooner? Dead State  (Read 23502 times)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
Re: Why didn't you people tell me sooner? Dead State
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2010, 04:20:07 am »

Not having control of your teammates is definitely an issue that is 100% dependent on the AI not being terrible. If my party is full of Ian's SMG bursting me in the back every five seconds my only use for teammates would be unarmed pack mules.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2010, 05:05:01 am »

Having a good turn-based RPG is something I can only dream of.

I have enough FPS games to play, and I want a Squad RPG, and squad rpg requires planning and good decisions in time.

If it's released, I am so getting it.

Not having control of your teammates is definitely an issue that is 100% dependent on the AI not being terrible.

I like the old Baldur's Gate style or "tactics" system from Dragon Age. If they had a system like that where you could make your teammates to act depending on a number of factors (but more customizable than in Dragon Age, there it was quite lacking) with an addition of companion personality affecting things, it would be perfect.

Quote from: RPS
They can be ordered around by the player, but as to whether they will follow that order or not depends on their ability, their aversion to the task, and their respect for the player’s commands.
It looks fine. I just hope you can make complex orders, the old "go there" or "shoot my target" are not enough for a good squad-based game.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2010, 05:59:28 am »

Having FPS-style direct control would pretty much nullify this as a survival game unless they made aim inaccurate to a point where it becomes frustrating to the average player. When's the last time you saw a zombie FPS/TPS that was about semi-realistic survival? Never?

And imagine if any of those FPSes actually had the slow, lurching zombies rather than the running types. There would be absolutely no challenge to the average FPS player. It'd be a shooting gallery.

If playing Left 4 Dead 2, Killing Floor or Resident Evil 5 has taught me anything, it's that direct control fucks up any tension a zombie game might've had.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2010, 06:32:01 am »

Yeah, with the existance of L4D2 (so now we have a good teamplay shooter against zombies) it would be nice to have a squad RPG in stocks :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2010, 06:44:20 am »

the existance of L4D2
It's best to act like L4D2 dosen't exist if you're Australian or German as it is censored as fuck.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2010, 07:21:00 am »

This was actually more of the type of gameplay I was hoping to see when I saw Rogue Survivor come out. Shame we won't be seeing this game release this year.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2010, 07:51:36 am »

OMG... want.

And if you want an FPS, there are a gajillion more out there. 

And also, whoever commented about x-com and fallout being converted into FPS because turn based is obsolete or whatever other reason you had there....  I deny your opinion as fallacy.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Azurestrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2010, 08:52:10 am »

To anyone who thinks that they have no ability to turn this into real-time should do their research into Troika.

They made Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura where it was perfectly possible to play in either turn based and real-time, switching mid-battle if you felt like it.

So, they had the ability and history of being able to convert this game to real-time, but they decided to not use that in favor of focusing on a turn based game.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2010, 09:03:51 am »

I don't know, games like CoD WaW zombies did an excellent job ramping up the tension by surrounding you with slow zombies.  Sure, they locked you in a room so you couldn't run away, but still...

The tension problem with L4D isn't fps or fast zombies, it's how easy they are to mow down.  It's designed for heroic action.

I'm a huge fan of XCom and Silent Storm, but remember the crysalids?  Their running across the map to munch your face wasn't suspenseful, it was annoying.  Sure, the 'is something going to step out?  Am I in a covered position?' is extremely suspenseful, but in a single pc game with slow melee antagonists, you lose something of that tension.  Maybe not FPS, but realtime is definitely better for zombies, even RE1 got that right.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2010, 09:05:36 am »

Do you remember their cry? There's a difference between "annoying" and "completely fucking terrifying holy shit aaaaaa"

The chrysallids didn't cause suspense. They caused pure, abject terror.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2010, 09:22:04 am »

To anyone who thinks that they have no ability to turn this into real-time should do their research into Troika.
They made Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura where it was perfectly possible to play in either turn based and real-time, switching mid-battle if you felt like it.
So, they had the ability and history of being able to convert this game to real-time, but they decided to not use that in favor of focusing on a turn based game.

Lol to that example. Arcanum had a countless number of bugs because of this. So many problems occurred when switching between modes. Indirectly, because they didn't have time to fully test two different modes, there were glaringly obvious bugs in both turn-based and real time. My favorite was that throwing didn't use AP in turn-based mode (something they would have noticed immediately if you ever turned on turn-based). I could gauge enemy difficulty by counting how many molotovs it took to kill them in one round.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2010, 09:29:47 am »

I don't know, games like CoD WaW zombies did an excellent job ramping up the tension by surrounding you with slow zombies.  Sure, they locked you in a room so you couldn't run away, but still...
If you had an open world (say, Operation Flashpoint style), then you could just keep running in any direction and occasionally turn around and headshot those following you.

I'm a huge fan of XCom and Silent Storm, but remember the crysalids?  Their running across the map to munch your face wasn't suspenseful, it was annoying. Sure, the 'is something going to step out?  Am I in a covered position?' is extremely suspenseful, but in a single pc game with slow melee antagonists, you lose something of that tension.  Maybe not FPS, but realtime is definitely better for zombies, even RE1 got that right.
Most people who played and liked X-Com remember it differently. Chryssalids are pretty much the number one enemy type most remember as a positive that actually generated tension rather than annoyance.

RE1 had turret movement and you couldn't aim precisely. If you had RE5 style controls, then the game would be piss easy with no tension to speak of. So that's kind of between direct control and indirect control.

Also, one of the points of this game is the human factor rather than just the zombies. Chances are you will get into firefights against other human groups and thus you will have to take cover.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2010, 09:54:36 am »

I'm curious as to why the troll was being fed and potentially will be consistently be fed in the near future.

On another note, I'm hoping a lot of things from the zombie survival guide can be applied to the game it'd be a nice touch if it could.
an insult? im trying to point out that to simulate a zombie's use of senses the game should be in real time. again a example from Thief, you sneak around guards staying in the shadows with small movement. the real time builds tension and allows the pc to correct itself faster without WAITING YOUR TURN.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2010, 09:59:22 am »

Lol to that example. Arcanum had a countless number of bugs because of this. So many problems occurred when switching between modes. Indirectly, because they didn't have time to fully test two different modes, there were glaringly obvious bugs in both turn-based and real time. My favorite was that throwing didn't use AP in turn-based mode (something they would have noticed immediately if you ever turned on turn-based). I could gauge enemy difficulty by counting how many molotovs it took to kill them in one round.

In all fairness, Troika games tend to have some pretty hord corps bugs anyway, so that's probably symptomatic of a larger problem.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2010, 10:11:43 am »

I'm curious as to why the troll was being fed and potentially will be consistently be fed in the near future.

On another note, I'm hoping a lot of things from the zombie survival guide can be applied to the game it'd be a nice touch if it could.
an insult? im trying to point out that to simulate a zombie's use of senses the game should be in real time. again a example from Thief, you sneak around guards staying in the shadows with small movement. the real time builds tension and allows the pc to correct itself faster without WAITING YOUR TURN.
This game doesn't seem to be based on a do-it-all-super-effective main character.... which you will end up being in any action/FPS game. 
While at the same time cursing the incompetence and fragility of AI allies, since you don't see a lot of action/FPS games with good allied AI unless they are specifically scripted, brokenly buffed, the enemy only ever aims for you, or they get free respawns.
Fort Zombie should help with that itch of yours...  They have noise stealth and zombies.

Also, JA2 had noise and line of sight for stealth too, worked great in my opinion.

Otherwise... JA2 style Zombie-fest?  Gimmie.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11