Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Were the Older Versions better?  (Read 4862 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Were the Older Versions better?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 08:13:58 am »

Yep, old ruins were there "all of sudden". Toady One plans to add zombification and nechromancy but it will come much later and it will have a reason, so you won't have a weird ziggurat with tons of undead in some random place but some magic tower with an emperor lich and an army of resurrected fish cleaners and soapmakers who lived in a nearby town, something like that.

And I like the new version much more, now you can have crafting so Play Now characters are much more interesting. And  you can butcher enemies and make weapons and items out of their bones and hide, and you can eat their meat. It was a dream back in 2d.

Also you with the new wounds and infection system you have much more interesting combat. There're no longer bolts which pierce all your organs at once and random "hit points" for each bodypart, you can now jam someone's skull in their brain and you can strangle them with their guts.

And Now, I Take Twenty strikes with my hammer and , Yes, It still shatters bone Now and again, But that's It, And I can only, Realisticly, hope to kill through a head smash...
Not really. I smashed people's hearts and lungs with their ribs so they died, and I hit children so hard that they flew away and exploded hitting a wall. Honestly I haven't played vanilla for a long time because I use more deadly weapons and materials so the combat is more brutal, but it's just a matter of a short modding course if you don't like it. Of course Toady One didn't have time to make it "realistic" enough, but you can edit it easily without any strain. And I prefer a complex combat system which you have to edit a bit to your tastes rather than an "immediately working" but very simple combat like it was before.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 08:18:32 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 08:18:21 am »

Back in 40d, I'm not sure if this is still in, there was a site type (unused by vanilla races) called [RUINS]. They were essentially a big blank space. So, I'm sure those were a holdover.

Man, when Toady puts in the new villages, ADV mode will be so cool. Even cooler than it is now.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 08:22:26 am »

Back in 40d, I'm not sure if this is still in, there was a site type (unused by vanilla races) called [RUINS]. They were essentially a big blank space. So, I'm sure those were a holdover.
Eh, you're wrong. In 40d the ruins were remnants of destroyed towns. You still have them in 2010. It's the crown symbol ("m'u").
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 08:24:02 am »

Eh, you're wrong. In 40d the ruins were remnants of destroyed towns. You still have them in 2010. It's the crown symbol ("m'u").

No, it's moddable. I know this because I was experimenting with 40d back in the day, trying to make a Vampire/Werewolf hunter mod, and I gave the werewolves the [RUINS] site type.

EDIT: It used the same symbol as ruins caused by depopulation or destruction, of course.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 08:36:08 am »

Sorry, I missed the "unused by vanilla races". Then I was wrong, not you :P. I think it was RUIN though, but it doesn't matter.

I am quite sad that Toady One removed some of possible things, like STICK_CHANCE for weapons and the ruins type. Having "forest retreat" for all non-city dwellers is a bit bland and immersion-breaking, especially in deserts :\.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 11:05:07 am »

you are playing .12 right?
weapons got fixed back in .05
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Dynaphus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 03:48:27 pm »

Apologies for my original post, I do that sometimes. Anyway, in the end of that day I'm a Warhammer Dwarf player and I guess I'm just guilty of expecting something worthy of a great Daemon-Slayer at some point in the adventure, sorry for any problems this thing has caused.

Cheers

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 05:00:50 am »

Any problems? For me it was just a nice discussion of features. Go ahead and suggest what you want to make next! :)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Dynaphus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 09:51:15 am »

Well short of Moding some things and Making a Slayer Cult in Dwarf Fortress.......Hmmmm......Well......Are there any other people here who know what I'm talking about? Or do you want the rough draft about the Dwarfyist thing in existance?

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 09:53:52 am »

Well short of Moding some things and Making a Slayer Cult in Dwarf Fortress.......Hmmmm......Well......Are there any other people here who know what I'm talking about? Or do you want the rough draft about the Dwarfyist thing in existance?

The dwarfiest thing in existence is "enough beer". Unfortunately there is no such thing.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 11:31:34 am »

Slayer Cult

ELVES ARE HATE!
ELVES ARE FEAR!
ELVES ARE WAR!
ELVES ARE RAPE!
ELVES ARE OBSCENE
ELVES ARE WHORES!!

Oh wait...I'm thinking of the wrong Slayer Cult.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:33:07 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

Dynaphus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 12:53:00 pm »

Imagine If the Dwarf Who just failed to get the crafting materials to make an artifact, slept on a flooded floor...In Miasma, Watched his Family get killed, Were Oathbreakers, Ran In battle, you name it.....And Didn't tantrum, Just Got pissed....Now you have a Slayer

When all this happens they cast off their worldly possessions, (Apart from a favorite weapon or two) Shave their hair apart from one Huge crest they normally dye with Pigs grease and turn into a Mohawk And Swear to spend the rest of their existences Hunting something Big, and Powerful enough to put them out of their misery and let them Die Glorious Deaths...This quickly Weeds out the weak, as well as the fact that Dwarfs cannot enter a fight to lose....So the survivors you may meet are likely Legendary, Homicidal, Berserk, Fighters......

I few bit's of frankly awesome slayer art

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 06:51:53 pm »

Imagine If the Dwarf Who just failed to get the crafting materials to make an artifact, slept on a flooded floor...In Miasma, Watched his Family get killed, Were Oathbreakers, Ran In battle, you name it.....And Didn't tantrum, Just Got pissed....Now you have a Slayer
Hmm...as of now, isn't that pretty much what most dwarf adventurers usually end up as? Though a lot of them still wore some armor (buncha' wussies!).

But if you want a dwarf civ with exactly those characteristics...what's stopping you from making 'em?
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Dynaphus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 08:33:58 pm »

isn't that pretty much what most dwarf adventurers usually end up as?

Yes and no......Dwarves do become Unbelievable fighters, But Slayers.......They were feared in Warhammer for many reasons to those who have seen them in battle.....Their Reckless, Violent randomly to whatever they consider could be a Mighty foe, ALWAYS fight to the death without any fear (It's the reason they fight after all), Sometimes becoming the greatest warriors in existence if they survive the first year, with only their Favorite weapons for company, (In the case of the Insane Slayer/Engineer Makiison it was two, Gunpowder Gatling pistols, and his fists), And of course their AWESOME Mohawks

But if you want a dwarf civ with exactly those characteristics...what's stopping you from making 'em?
Well I could give it a shot, though I have little experience coding and may need help with some bit's.....Though there were mentions of an entire Army of the little balls of death in an old copy of White Dwarf, I think you all would have Chuckled at the invention Makiison brought to the army, "The Goblin Hewer"...It's sort of a double armed, rapid fire, Axe lobing machine.
It would be better I think, to make something to go with adventure mode, Throw in a series of caves and ruins and have it Update your title every time you Kill something of Note, From Goblin-Hewer, To Giant-Slayer, To Daemon-Bane....Maybe something when you make your char were instead of points you Put your previous profession and What Disgraced you to the point of being a slayer......

Anyway, Thoughts?...Does it sound doable?.....Anyone like the sound So far?

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 09:16:24 pm »

Well I could give it a shot, though I have little experience coding and may need help with some bit's.....
So you're saying you can't become a badass adventurer until you can become DM and hand yourself all the gameplay perks?
Pages: 1 [2] 3