Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Were the Older Versions better?  (Read 4870 times)

Dynaphus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Were the Older Versions better?
« on: August 26, 2010, 03:58:09 pm »

Now before You make up your mind, Let me Explain My point of view...
I Can Now gladly say I have played all Versions of Adventure mode, and although the newer ones become more compleat, they lose something.
I Have fond memories of Obliterating Zombie's with my warhammer in Underground ruins, Mangling and Obliterating with each strike against Unstoppable hordes....I remember Exploring endless tunnels, and Garroting someone with their own shirt....I remember Dwarven cities that are NOT just a big open hole in the Earth with nothing of note in it.

And Now, I Take Twenty strikes with my hammer and , Yes, It still shatters bone Now and again, But that's It, And I can only, Realisticly, hope to kill through a head smash....Against a handful of Tiny foes with the Odd spattering of Monster.....Hardly Something to Write Home About...

I'm not saying it's all bad, What I'm saying is that It's being made more realistic...And In my opinion...Epic Sagas Are never very Realistic

Anyway that's my Rant done, What do you think?

All comments welcome

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Were the Older Versions better?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 04:48:57 pm »

I think your capitalization technique is very interesting and incorrect.

OT, no.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 05:02:43 pm »

Well, in all honesty, if you want to get the most out of adventure mode, then you must mod the game and you must play through fortress mode for more than ten years.

Seriously, old forts can make for a very fun exploration area in adventure mode!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 07:42:32 pm »

I like the new version. I didn't read your rant though, the voice in my head was saying it weird and it annoyed me.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 08:09:21 pm »

Well, in all honesty, if you want to get the most out of adventure mode, then you must mod the game and you must play through fortress mode for more than ten years.

Seriously, old forts can make for a very fun exploration area in adventure mode!
This.
 But Dynaphus, at least try to make your writing 'mistakes' seem more like mistakes. I don't mind if someone screws up from time to time, it's just that...
You're screwing up wrong

MadJax

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Muppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 05:21:32 am »

So he screwed up screwing up?

How dwarven...
Dwarven Math:

Dorf + Magma + Insane Project = SCIENCE!

LizardKing

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXP:0]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 10:12:21 am »

I like the new version. I didn't read your rant though, the voice in my head was saying it weird and it annoyed me.

Every time something started with a capital letter I couldn't help but empasise it.

(I haven't played any of the older versions)

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 10:45:58 am »

I like the new versions because of the expanded content, guaranteed clownite, and randomly generated beasts.

Also, I'm sorry, I couldn't read your topic post. People in the library thought I was having a seizure from all the twitching I was doing.

Yes, I am a member of the Grammar Reich. What of it?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:59:29 am by Deteramot »
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

LizardKing

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXP:0]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 10:56:07 am »

...and randomly generate beasts....

You mean "generated" ;)

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 10:59:07 am »

...and randomly generate beasts....

You mean "generated" ;)
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I blame my keyboard.
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 12:20:44 pm »

well only got in from 40d and well I can understand your pain...
well you still could kill carp ton of undead in a Demon fort but those are pretty hard to find.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 12:31:29 pm »

There are whole regions that are nothing but undead, and anything worldgen spawned there also becomes undead. With the right weapons and skills, it's also possible to one-shot smite them by the shitton. This version, it doesn't look like blunt weapons are as ideal for it as they should be, but according to dev plans that will change.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 07:21:54 pm »

Hmm, why did Toady remove the undead towns anyway? And from the old tales, there was sooo much blunt force related kick-assery (The Immortal Onslaught comes to mind...flying horses and riders!).

Sure it wasn't realistic but it seemed so much fun being superhumanly, send them flying a hill away, strong. I've only been playing since the April Fools update, so I don't have much to compare with. :P
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 03:31:44 am »

Please Don't randomly Capitalize words Dynaphus As it is Very Hard on Peoples Eyes.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 03:51:26 am »

Hmm, why did Toady remove the undead towns anyway?

He wanted more "natural" occurrences of things like that. Same reason the river doesn't just randomly flood anymore (or at all), and why Titans and Demons have been replaced with procedurally generated mishmashes.

The new Titans are cool, but the new Demons can be rather tiresome.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: [1] 2 3