Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help me I'm so bored  (Read 3261 times)

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help me I'm so bored
« on: August 26, 2010, 01:45:36 pm »

Since Elemental turned out to be so disappointing I'm looking for game similar to Master of Magic/Dominions 3. I generally like games that give me a lot of choices. Heck any fun game that requires some thinking will do. Help me please  :(.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Help me I'm so bored
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 02:02:22 pm »

I recently started playing Fantasy General again. It's an old game, but very well done and a lot of fun.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 02:02:56 pm »

If you have Civ3 Beyond the Sword you could play Fall From Heaven 2.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 02:06:43 pm »

I recently started playing Fantasy General again. It's an old game, but very well done and a lot of fun.

Agreed, i like this one.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 02:11:43 pm »

Fantasy Wars - kind of a modern Fantasy General. They're basically both tactical strategy games in a fantasy setting with persistent armies throughout campaigns.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 03:14:39 pm »

Uhh...  Age of Wonders?  Should be fairly easy to get into for someone with Master of Magic experience, as they're quite similar.  The original had very nice atmosphere and happens to contain a number of very happy memories of mine (plus, great soundtrack).  The second one ironed out some gameplay issues, but AoW and AoWII shouldn't really be linked together as part of the same series, there's really no connection between them.  Also, I personally think that AoWII trashed all the 'fluffy' parts that AoW nailed.  It's a gimme between more balanced gameplay and more awesome setting/story.

The first Dominions can be fun for a change.  The demo can be played as any race for any length of time, but with spell levels capped at 4 and some units taken out.  It's neat because the simpler pixellated province display will actually change to reflect the temperature and growth scales.  Also, I personally think the UI is better in Dom1 than in the succeeding titles, but this isn't a major selling point considering all the other goodies the later ones added in.

You can always play Conquest of Elysium if you want an Illwinter blast from the past, but it really doesn't grant that many choices for playstyle after you've selected a character.  There are plenty of characters to pick from though, plus it's free.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 03:48:23 pm »

Fantasy Wars. Do I have influence over my army composition or I'm stuck with what scenario designer picked for me?

Age of Wonders. I actually have bargain bin dvd with all of them on one disc, haven't played them much. I tried AoW II but it felt like pretty MoM clone minus awesome magic that made MoM so much fun for me. I guess it would gain much in hotseat play MoM lacks. Funny thing I haven't played AoW I. Is it better than second one?

I haven't considered playing older Dominions because from screenshots hey look pretty much the same. Are there any other changes? Because it doesn't sound that exciting from what you said, I mean just better UI?

Thanks for suggestions so far. Just so you know it doesn't have to be fantasy tbs.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 04:08:14 pm »

Fantasy Wars. Do I have influence over my army composition or I'm stuck with what scenario designer picked for me?
From what I remember, you get to buy and upgrade units between missions in the campaign. Hero units are gained automatically as the campaign progresses. Possibly you gain certain units based on events in the campaign as well.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 04:09:00 pm »

Sounds fun then  :D.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 04:11:15 pm »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 04:12:31 pm »

Well, the original Age of Wonders actually has fewer megaspells than AoWII (and Shadow Magic), but like I said it has a great soundtrack and (in my own opinion) a much better game atmosphere that pulls you into the world more than the later titles.

And I just threw Dom1 in there because it is somewhat different from the later titles (Dom1 is much more different from Dom2 than Dom2 is from Dom3), and it can give a certain change of pace.  Dom3 is certainly quite a bit huger than the first one, with more tweaks and alterations and whatnot.  I'd recommend just trying it out, but they are fairly similar.  After all, it is the same series.

You could play Gratuitous Space Battles and design your own starships with custom orders.  The command system is actually fairly reminiscent of Dominions, since you set advanced orders and placement first and then let the computer do the actual fighting.  Quite pretty, and you can design ships to serve any number of roles.  Somewhat lacking in spells, however.

Or you could play one of those card game thingamajigs.  Fairly customizable.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 04:22:09 pm »

There's a demo available, btw..
Sure sure I almost never buy anything without testing it first (that is after I bought wasted money on Oblivion).

You could play Gratuitous Space Battles and design your own starships with custom orders.
I'll check demo or something. I'm sucker for designing units and giving custom orders.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 07:21:24 pm »

!!&!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 07:51:32 pm »