Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF: 3053 AD (Total Conversion Mod)  (Read 5226 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
DF: 3053 AD (Total Conversion Mod)
« on: August 26, 2010, 01:15:23 pm »

Basically, this mod changes DF so that you are basically colonizing an alien world. I need wildlife and native intelligent races (tribal civs only, please.). Here's some guidelines:

1. Any humanoid Xenobionts (alien lifeforms) will be rejected. This is going to be hard science fiction (or at least as close as we can get with DF.), not the so-soft-it-can-be-squished-by-a-light-breeze crud that is star trek.
2. Almost (if not every) all Xenobionts should have toxic tissues (i.e. you eat it, chances are your gonna die).
3. Equipment should be more futuristic (duh!)

Who's willing to contribute?

Knight85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF: 3053 AD (Total Conversion Mod)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 01:41:57 pm »

Just a little suggestion..

Don't post a mod idea then tell everyone to deliver your content to you. Unless you're doing the bulk of the code and content work, don't bother and let this one die.

Quite frankly it's an insult to all the modders around here to post an idea and start making demands about what you'd like to see.

If you're just asking for ideas and you'll be doing the coding then nevermind what I said, nothing to see here, move along and such.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:43:56 pm by Knight85 »

LAAT501legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 01:55:50 pm »

Just a little suggestion..

Don't post a mod idea then tell everyone to deliver your content to you. Unless you're doing the bulk of the code and content work, don't bother and let this one die.

Quite frankly it's an insult to all the modders around here to post an idea and start making demands about what you'd like to see.

If you're just asking for ideas and you'll be doing the coding then nevermind what I said, nothing to see here, move along and such.
Good point
This isn't reality.
THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!!
*kicks an elf into the pit*
Roll to be a BATTLE WIZARD

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 05:07:08 pm »

What you might be looking for is Mind Worms.  Straight from Cid Meier's Alpha Centauri, true, but they would fit right in to the story you described.  They would fit perfectly with the way DF handles invaders too.  They are a worm about 10cm long who have strong physic attacks when gathered in large quantities (in the game they moved in vast groups).  They are dangerous enough to swarm city defences and destroy sci-fi vehicles.  They are Planet's natural defence, and come to attack humans (or Dwarves in this case) because they are damaging the natural environment.  The more damage done, the more ferocious the attacks.  In DF terms... The more wealth and population you have the more they swarm.
Diggy diggy hole.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 05:12:59 pm »

Mind worms is a good idea.

Another idea is a number of ooze species. Medusa-like species should also work.

Some giant insects should look nice in any sci-fi.

And Knight has a point, I hoped this mod is already downloadable and there's something. Make some bulk so others start to add to it and get interest from the existing stuff.

Don't forget the main goal as the start: mod out the existing animals and plants. It's not easy because there's some stuff like plants with leaves or vermin types which the game HAS to have otherwise it may crash.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 10:43:43 pm »

Damn, I've been working on a futuristic mod too.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 10:53:58 pm »

Hmm, what about humanoids as competing colonists?

Also if the world is entirely toxic then you'll need a solid justification for why you're colonizing it in the first place. Is it valuable because of its metals, for example? Or is this some silly expedition FOR SCIENCE to a death world, doomed by nature to fail?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 11:05:05 pm »

Can you say Cocktease? I was expecting a wall of text and a download link, not some random who thinks hes the first one to come up with a futuristic idea.. and probably has no idea how to mod in the content he wants so he's assuming everyone will gladly band together to produce his whim.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 11:06:55 pm »

Yeah, there should at least be some content before you make a thread asking for contributions.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 12:06:58 am »

To NRN_R_Sumo1: Vorthon was just posting an idea, and requesting modders, not demanding anything. You're acting like s/he was being cocky about this future idea, and ordering us around, s/he was doing neither of those. So you are needlessly being a dick.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 02:21:57 am »

To Urist Mcinternetuser: Thank you.

To Josephus: Ehhh... I tend to avoid humanoids (others than humans, and this case dwarves elves and goblins {and maybe kobolds} as well), and the only alien faunaform even remotely similiar to terrestrial life in any way in any sci-fi worldbuilding project of (except for one race, but they were sterile and engineered new bodies for themselves from human & animal dna) looked vaguely like a six-legged cat whose front feet could double as hands, but that was only if you look at them while squinting really hard.

And as for the whole toxic thing, a few things could be non-toxic, and a few could merely have minor effects (suffering from nausea for a couple days, dizziness, that kind of stuff). And why would they colonize it? They're dwarves! When have DF dwarves had anything vaguely resembling common sense?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 04:14:41 am »

Wait, do you plan to make DWARVES to colonize other planets? It doesn't sound sci-fi at all.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 12:32:34 pm »

Dwarves colonizing other planets makes perfect sense to me. Their beards act as filters, making it possible for Dwarves to breath toxic gases (this explains why they can live alongside magma). And they have massive booze stockpiles, accidentally ignite one and boom, the entire fort flies into outer space.

Also I can probably help with the modding, being that I am working on a futuristic mod myself.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 03:54:03 pm »

@Deon: it wouldn't really be Dwarf Fortress without the dwarves...

Dwarves colonizing other planets makes perfect sense to me. Their beards act as filters, making it possible for Dwarves to breath toxic gases (this explains why they can live alongside magma). And they have massive booze stockpiles, accidentally ignite one and boom, the entire fort flies into outer space.

Also I can probably help with the modding, being that I am working on a futuristic mod myself.

Thanks again. And I wasn't really thinking toxic atmospheres, just the biochemistry of the worlds being different enough (While still being based on Carbon, which is the only potential substrate at Earth-like temperatures. {Well, an Boron-Nitrogen setup using liquid ammonia instead of water could be possible -60 celsius or so, and temperatures lower than that have occured on earth.}) THings like different amino acids.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 04:06:21 pm »

That was a response to Deon and his doubting that Dwarves make great sci-fi characters. I didn't really think you were going to make a toxic atmosphere.
Pages: [1] 2