Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: storage  (Read 1632 times)

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
storage
« on: August 26, 2010, 08:12:13 am »

How do you store stuff? I found what I thought was a good place, a square of land that didn't generate a cave entry, so all five giants were wandering in the open. Anything I dropped on the ground remained. But dragon meat doesn't keep unless it's contained, so I got a backpack to hold that and my excess coin. That backpack vanished.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: storage
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 08:57:35 am »

you backpack vanished?

ok did you drop it on the ground,if so you will have to go look for it.
stuff left on the ground does just moves.
heavy stuff does not move as far.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 09:31:57 am »

I expect everything to move, but it's a small and completely flat ,site so it should be easy to catch in daylight. At the time I dropped it, it was also an uncluttered site; at this moment, if it does re-appear, it could be buried under tons of shit.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 02:23:41 pm »

I'd like to ask this again, since the original question got sidetracked (by someone who didn't read the full post before asking a question -- that happens a lot here.)

What do you do for storage? Where do you offload stuff you want to keep without bogging down your inventory?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 02:47:35 pm »

Ill embark on a town, build a house, with a level-locking storage area, abandon, and store my stuff there.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 12:57:30 pm »

Seems like that would work excellently in reverse, too. When your adventurer dies or retires, the cached goods/coins/bronze statues/dragon parts can be used in reclaiming the fortress. I just can't get myself to retire adventurer mode long enough to build this.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 11:12:42 pm »

Personally, I embark somewhere and mass produce lead bins. I then store my loot there, as lead is really heavy and doesn't move far.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 04:19:22 pm »

Had a look at my storage site with Runesmith and found why the frames were down to 5/hour -- there's an incontinent clown car down there, the underworld is more loaded with demons than could conceivably fit on those levels. How can I clear them out without wiping out all my stuff?

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 07:11:32 pm »

I used the town Mead Hall once as my storage place...but it also ended up as a FPS sandpit.

Does tracking all those extra items really mess it up more (Or maybe the vermin that my "victim stockpile" attracts also helped in slowing things down. After 'T'ravelling to that town, the 1st things to pop up usually are that "many roaches are disturbed" line after a few seconds of loading/waiting)?
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 07:21:33 pm »

The vermin could be contributing, but even that goes away when you leave site. It can't be the items alone; I'd been building a hoard for over a game decade without problems, and but the time the fps degraded I'd been throwing stuff out. A lot of stuff trickles up from underground even though there's no underground passage, leathers and meat from subterranean creatures, and I'd been throwing that out as soon as I could catch it. I suspect the real problem here is the demons; there are countless pages of them congregating, and I don't think it's an exaggeration to say there's probably over 1k of them down there, packed into 3 z-levels.