Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Things you didn't know about until recently.  (Read 22052 times)

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things you didn't know about until recently.
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2010, 07:28:13 pm »

I posted this a while ago in the face palm thread, but I figured I should mention it here too.  In 31.xx fire is hot enough to melt some stone types.  And unlike magma, fire can heat up surrounding tiles.  Lesson learned, if you going to make an incinerator, be careful about what type of door you use. Or put some space between it and your !!blocks!!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2010, 10:18:30 pm »

How useful the manager really is. Too bad I didn't have knowledge of said ability when I needed 200 steel serrated disks.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2010, 03:18:56 am »

darn! I always thought that it was his face exploding in a bloody mess by HFS! the magma river being breached is alot less epic though...

besides I am very shure that what you said is true but how dose the pick fall many floors below and the dwarf looks around in the cave before he gets engulfed in magma?

The pick falling is sort of an abstraction, as "right" was supposed to equal "down".  the only real falls in 2D were into the chasm (it made things mad when you dumped garbage there) and so a pick falling wasnt really possible back then.

It did take some time for the magma to overflow, though.  a fast miner could out-run it.  a slow one would burn.  helped to have a little chamber for it to expand into while your dude ran away.  eventually, it cooled to obsidian.  Other magma wouldnt cool, unless you hit it with water.  just the initial flood.
That makes a lot of sense, that intro has been around for a while. Still though, even if it originally represented magma, it represents the HFS even better since:
1.) The whole pick falling thing makes more since if the Dwarf breached the HFS.
2.) The stone he's digging through is blue, indicating it's probably adamantine.
3.) The HFS is a hidden part of the game; magma is not. This shot's presence at the end of the intro and vague nature suggests that it's a foreshadowing of some hidden feature.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2010, 04:10:56 pm »

Nether caps are fireproof.  It's from having a fixed temperature; for some reason magma still obliterates objects made of nether cap, but dragonfire and other heat sources cannot do the same.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2010, 08:10:11 am »

Nether caps are fireproof.  It's from having a fixed temperature; for some reason magma still obliterates objects made of nether cap, but dragonfire and other heat sources cannot do the same.

I hear that someone tested a nether-cap suit whilst magma-diving. The wearer of a nether-cap suit of armor lasts a few turns longer in magma than one not so well equipped.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2010, 08:16:12 am »

That was me. Nether-cap armor did have an effect on my chosen victim, but the test should be repeated for the sake of consistency. I think my antman died in the end because there was no armor covering his wings, so a followup would be great.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

lordofhyphens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2010, 08:59:23 pm »

Macros can be easily hand-written and thus execute a heck of a lot faster.

Might use http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Key_bindings and a simple GUI to make things easier to work with.
"Extinction is not an option."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2010, 09:09:18 pm »

Today I discovered that a single tile of water freely falling will fall at an unpredictable and apparently random rate.  This explains why a complex bit of machinery that used falling water as a delay would sometimes work fine and sometimes cause catastrophic flooding.  Time for a redesign!
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2010, 12:40:19 am »

That was me. Nether-cap armor did have an effect on my chosen victim, but the test should be repeated for the sake of consistency. I think my antman died in the end because there was no armor covering his wings, so a followup would be great.

Also with modded special wooden LB/UB/UPSTEP:MAX armor, for completeness. to keep fingers and face safe. "BARKSUIT"
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2010, 05:42:37 am »

Learned about macros a few weeks ago. I'd never really bothered with them in the past, but they're really hadny for trading all the stuff in my bins, but not the bins themselves. Also nice for leaving supports every ten tiles in large mining projects (I know they're not neccesary but it looks kinda strange to me without them.)

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2010, 09:40:37 pm »

Brooks will  normally never form a waterfall in worldgen. Never.
This is what causes brook canyons to be so common.
The inverse can also happen, brooks that form a plateau or whatever

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2010, 10:22:25 pm »

Wait, Brooks can appear as/in Canyons???

Well I didn't know that until 30 seconds or so ago...

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2010, 10:56:47 pm »

I've had a brook create a waterfall of sorts. It dropped a z-level, anyway, and it was easy to divert.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 18, 2010, 08:48:20 am »

rezzing this topic because i think it's very nice as vet share stuff around.

I recently learned that prisoners can be attacked while being dragged around. I now have a very long corridor around my town. The angry mob freely hit the goblin with whatever they have as he's silently dragged to the next cage.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Burning_Iceman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2010, 09:25:55 am »

Brooks will  normally never form a waterfall in worldgen. Never.
This is what causes brook canyons to be so common.
The inverse can also happen, brooks that form a plateau or whatever

The only natural waterfall I've had sofar was from a brook. 10 z levels.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10