Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Things you didn't know about until recently.  (Read 22069 times)

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things you didn't know about until recently.
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2010, 03:18:30 pm »

You're lucky they melt at all: mine drown...
Sounds like you have TEMPERATURE turned of in the init file.  I once had a puppy get trapped in the magma of my magma forges, and he grew up stuck at one of the holes in the floor before I remembered to turn TEMP back on for a while.
nope. there's been a rash of "dwarves not melting in the magma" reports. I especially like the one where he killed 4 fire creatures before drowning, with the blood on his steel armor boiling around him.
Yeah, that was my Captain of the Guard... shame I couldn't retrieve the corpse to bury him with the honor he deserves!
And no, TEMPERATURE is on, I always keep it on: I routinely use magma to clean up the crapton of trolls and gobbos I trap at every siege, and they melt just fine  ;)

Magma_science

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Human wrestler!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2010, 05:08:51 pm »

Sounds like you have TEMPERATURE turned of in the init file.  I once had a puppy get trapped in the magma of my magma forges, and he grew up stuck at one of the holes in the floor before I remembered to turn TEMP back on for a while.
nope. there's been a rash of "dwarves not melting in the magma" reports. I especially like the one where he killed 4 fire creatures before drowning, with the blood on his steel armor boiling around him.
Yeah, that was my Captain of the Guard... shame I couldn't retrieve the corpse to bury him with the honor he deserves!
And no, TEMPERATURE is on, I always keep it on: I routinely use magma to clean up the crapton of trolls and gobbos I trap at every siege, and they melt just fine  ;)
You can just make an empty grave for him.

related: after all these reports people started using useless dwarves for adamantine vein exploration. I love you guys.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2010, 05:15:25 pm »

You can just make an empty grave for him.

related: after all these reports people started using useless dwarves for adamantine vein exploration. I love you guys.

if you make enough statues, eventually one will be of him. Stand it next to an unassigned grave (make sure the grave is "turned off")
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2010, 05:20:40 pm »

I didn't realize until recently just how much encrusting raised the value of things.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2010, 05:32:00 pm »

2 months after I rediscovered DF, and over a year after I first found out about this game, I found the wiki...

FFFFF---

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2010, 05:51:40 pm »

2 months after I rediscovered DF, and over a year after I first found out about this game, I found the wiki...

FFFFF---

I found the game and the wiki at the same time.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2010, 05:53:43 pm »

Digging out an earth-plug and suspending it with supports to punch through aquifers.
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2010, 05:55:52 pm »

Digging out an earth-plug and suspending it with supports to punch through aquifers.

You can do that? I always pump it out.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2010, 05:57:33 pm »

This sometimes turns the dropped ground into aquifer stone

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2010, 06:01:35 pm »

FFFFF---

I found the game and the wiki at the same time.

I found the game as a weekend download on jayisgames, and didn't pay much attention to the site or anything, just pounded through failed fort after failed fort, until one day I realised my fort was doing everything I wanted it to!  And that's when they started dying due to sieges and wildlife, rather than my not knowing which menu was for what.

BAH, when I think back to it!  Stone stockpiles that took up entire z-levels, until I found Quantum Stockpiling on the wiki! BWaAaAAA...

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2010, 06:45:59 pm »

I've had single parents immigrate to the map before, but I hadn't seen one of them get married until last night. If the new couple have children, will his son have stepbrothers and stepsisters? It doesn't list his stepmother as being related to him, will that affect his future siblings as well?

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2010, 11:00:17 am »

Another thing I learned, you don't need very much bismuth to make a lot of bismuth bronze.  A cluster of 4 bismuth ore will net you 16 bismuth bronze.  This can help out a lot when your supply of tin is low as the bismuth essentially replaces half the tin in the reaction.  This isn't a faster way to get bronze but is more efficient at extending resources.  Cassiterite can be pretty elusive at times.

To add to this, bismuthinite ore is extremely cheap at embark, only 3 points each (compare with 6 for cassiterite). So if you're embarking to a site with a lot of cassiterite, you can near-double your bronze reserves by bringing along a bunch of bismuthinite. The only downside is you can't smelt bismuth bronze from ores, you have to smelt from bars, so it takes a little more fuel/steps.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2010, 01:17:45 pm »

That an elf civ that died off(or rather lost its only city) early in world gen can make a come back.

Let me see if I can paint this tale for yall. The year is 8 A.U. (After Urist) and The Mortal Kingdoms(humans) and The Perfect Nature(Elves) are not the most friendly of neighbors, in fact they downright hate each other. The Mortal Kingdoms in its quest for glory and expansion invaded and conquered The Perfect Nature. The surviving elves accepted their new rulers for now, and so they just bided their time. Afterall they have time on their sides.

The Mortal Kingdom enjoyed some 30 years of prosperity and their elven lands were prospering. But the goblins of the Lies of Searching to their west were getting bold and launching ever more fierce attacks on the capital and in 48 the capital was sacked and razed. The humans launched a war of retaliation on the goblins that lasted nearly 100 years and ended when The Mortal Kingdom planted their flag at the top of Menacestorms in 141.

160 years of peace follow for the humans and they make only minor expansions in that time. But around 310 the kingdom starts to crumble. They first lose their goblin territory in the west. Then by 345 The Mortal Kingdom is on its deathbed, with only the old capital of the elves as its only city. Nearly three and a half centuries of waiting was over. The moment the elves had been waiting for had finally come. They rose up in open rebellion attacking and driving their former human rulers from the city, putting the last nail in the coffin of the Mortal Kingdom. The Perfect Nature was back.

The elves actually became a trading entity again and they finished out the rest of world gen alive. The first time I ever seen this too. Pretty cool too since the other elf nations are all dead, so now I got some elves to trade with on this map when I make a fort.

There is also a nice big evil mountain range in the south that was home to 5 different goblin city-states. They've been duking it out with each other the whole of the world gen, and so far there is 2 of them left. The main one had defeated and unified 3 of the other goblins states under its rule creating an empire that covers a sizable chunk of the map. If the gen went a bit longer, maybe they would've finished their war of unification.

I'm actually really liking this world, and will probably build a fort in it despite the fact that the dwarves were wiped out somewhere around 110ish. There are still a number of human civs around so I got some trading for things the elves won't bring me.

AtomicDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2010, 02:59:11 pm »

That if two sieges arrive at the same time from two different civ's, they will battle eachother to the death in front of your fortress gates.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2010, 03:14:24 pm »

That if two sieges arrive at the same time from two different civ's, they will battle eachother to the death in front of your fortress gates.
And you reap all the rewards.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10