Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Things you didn't know about until recently.  (Read 22073 times)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things you didn't know about until recently.
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2010, 11:52:53 pm »

That digging out warm/damp tiles below bodies of water or magma won't cause it to leak from above.  For the longest time I thought that until I designated it by accident and dug a tile out.

This was maybe three months ago.  I've been playing DF since summer of 2009.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2010, 11:59:58 pm »

I finally figured out how wild animals keep getting loose...  trading them at the depot is bugged; as soon as a dwarf grabs their cage, the critter is set loose.

Mildly annoying with unicorns; genuine Fun with cave crocs, herds of elk birds, and giant rats.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2010, 12:29:07 am »

I finally figured out how wild animals keep getting loose...  trading them at the depot is bugged; as soon as a dwarf grabs their cage, the critter is set loose.

Mildly annoying with unicorns; genuine Fun with cave crocs, herds of elk birds, and giant rats.

it has been a problem for quite a while:
http://www.threepanelsoul.com/view.php?date=2008-05-12

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2010, 12:32:54 am »

darn! I always thought that it was his face exploding in a bloody mess by HFS! the magma river being breached is alot less epic though...

besides I am very shure that what you said is true but how dose the pick fall many floors below and the dwarf looks around in the cave before he gets engulfed in magma?

The pick falling is sort of an abstraction, as "right" was supposed to equal "down".  the only real falls in 2D were into the chasm (it made things mad when you dumped garbage there) and so a pick falling wasnt really possible back then.

It did take some time for the magma to overflow, though.  a fast miner could out-run it.  a slow one would burn.  helped to have a little chamber for it to expand into while your dude ran away.  eventually, it cooled to obsidian.  Other magma wouldnt cool, unless you hit it with water.  just the initial flood.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2010, 12:47:16 am »

Bridges made of ice can melt.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2010, 01:46:30 am »

I thought skeletal enemies had building destroyer as well?
I actually thought they had a secondary BD tag that only allows them to demolish wooden buildings.
They can only demolish supports, wooden doors, wooden floor hatches, and all supports, all statues, all windows, and all archery targets.
It's the same tag that trolls have
Skeletal creatures have [BUILDINGDESTROYER:1], limiting them to wooden furniture and such.

Trolls have [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2].  They can, and will, destroy stone and metal doors and anything else short of constructions.

What I noticed with my one door is that apparently if skeletal creatures have no need to path inside your fort, they wont.  In one fort I had a bunch of skeletal elephants chase a dwarf into the fort and as soon as he was through the door, I locked the door.  They tore the door down and proceeded to demolish my fort after they were inside.

In this fort, I have made sure to keep my dwarves away from these creatures or made sure they're dead before they get to a door.  I've had herds wander right by the door, or get one guy stuck in the cages right next to the door and they all just hang around without breaking it down.  They don't need to path in, they wont.  Perhaps other variables are at play, but this is what I noticed.

The trolls from seiges will destroy your doors immediatly. So get your defenses up.

All part of the fun, eh?   ;)

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2010, 10:13:11 pm »

That digging your fort into a frozen ocean is NOT a good idea. I got classed by that ocean come summer.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2010, 09:17:09 am »

That digging your fort into a frozen ocean is NOT a good idea. I got classed by that ocean come summer.
Tsk, should've done a freezing biome.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2010, 09:27:37 am »

I figured it would stay frozen.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2010, 09:36:01 am »

Nnnope. Gotta make it to the bottom before it melts. Then wall up the entrance. Forever.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2010, 09:41:39 am »

Nnnope. Gotta make it to the bottom before it melts. Then wall up the entrance. Forever.

Or see how many traders you can take down with you.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2010, 09:53:23 am »

Removing horizontal bars over magma will cause dwarves to fall into the magma...and not die.  I had to wait for them to die of dehydration.  I still have a dog down there who appears to be immortal.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2010, 10:54:14 am »

I think there's a problem with magma not killing things right now. I've been hearing a lot of tales of Magma-baths lately.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2010, 11:49:28 am »

indeed, i pitted a donkey into a volcano to get a look at the bottom, and it died of bleeding.  also, it didnt take damage until it hit the ground.  Same thing happened to my best mason / architect who was constructing something suspended over the lava when he fell in.

temp is definitly on, things are just not cooking.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2010, 02:16:42 pm »

temp is definitly on, things are just not cooking.
Yeah, same for me: those who drop in the magma sea sink right to the bottom but don't burn, drowning instead... but flowing/pumped magma works all right!

Back on topic: I just discovered hotkeys!!! Yes, call me a moron, I never tried to figure out what that meant, and spent weeks of my life pounding my way up and down stairs from the surface to HFS and back...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10