Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Things you didn't know about until recently.  (Read 22056 times)

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things you didn't know about until recently.
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2010, 03:55:17 pm »

Dwarves who are thirsty and don't have access to anything else will try drinking magma! It's the funniest thing I've seen in DF in a long time. I accidentally had this dwarf in a magma channel, the magma was slowly moving towards her while I ordered the floodgates to be opened to let her out, but instead of running away she went over to the magma, scooped it up, tried drinking it and then ran away bleeding heavily and dropping grease.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

She's ok now but the fat is burnt away from her upper lip and a finger.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 03:56:59 pm by Vaftrudner »

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2010, 04:19:45 pm »

I discovered that a single broken index finger on the left hand requires three years of bed rest and seveteen different stiching sessions from the medical dwarf. And that the same wound can infact be cleaned out, after being stiched over.
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2010, 10:57:54 pm »

That if two sieges arrive at the same time from two different civ's, they will battle eachother to the death in front of your fortress gates.
And you reap all the rewards.
Unless you are the only one anyone is at war with. In which case they will surround your fortress on all sides, destroying you utterly if you open the gate.

I have had 5 sieges at once... and a year or two where I had at least 3 civs sieging me year-round. (genesis mod)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

CrackFile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2010, 01:59:37 am »

Dwarves who are thirsty and don't have access to anything else will try drinking magma! It's the funniest thing I've seen in DF in a long time. I accidentally had this dwarf in a magma channel, the magma was slowly moving towards her while I ordered the floodgates to be opened to let her out, but instead of running away she went over to the magma, scooped it up, tried drinking it and then ran away bleeding heavily and dropping grease.

When possible she prefers to consume magma.
Decency and Logic have been struck down

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2010, 04:33:36 pm »

When possible she prefers to consume magma.

...which is never. 'Cuz it's not possible to consume magma. Magma consumes YOU!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2010, 01:07:24 pm »

Not any great revelation, but I recently embarked on a site that had a road passing through, and learned that sometimes roadbuilders construct bridges across gaps.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2010, 02:09:52 pm »

Not any great revelation, but I recently embarked on a site that had a road passing through, and learned that sometimes roadbuilders construct bridges across gaps.

Except that in 0.31, they build way too many bridges in hilly areas, and a lot of them end up resembling diving boards...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2010, 09:19:03 am »

That if you capture all those War-Mounts the enemy shows up with, you can keep them in cages and tame their offspring. (Note, outside the cages, they will attack their own kids).
[/quote]

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2010, 06:42:38 pm »

Gremlins have the [PET_EXOTIC] tag.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2010, 01:24:35 am »

Am I the only person who finds it hilarious she had a 'wonderful drink' recently? On topic, I finally reached barony status with my sixth or seventh fort and didn't know there was a dialog where you got to pick who the baron is. That was pretty cool. (31.12 is what I'm playing, just for reference)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2010, 04:32:34 am »

The "t" screen to display what items are in a building. Found out about that, like, yesterday.

The most useful thing it took me FOREVER to find out about was the manager screen. Learned about it early on in my last fort, and it has become my best friend since then.
puppywhirrrrrrl

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2010, 10:11:59 am »

Assigning lots of war animals to legendary military dwarfs can have repercussions if said swarms are decimated in combat.

Yeah, I'm pretty new to all this.

In a related vein, I was surprised how much of a beating my mayor could take - it looks like he will even survive! Albeit without his nose and right hand. And he may never walk again. And the speardwarf is still 'attending meeting' standing vigil by his bedside in the hospital waiting for him to awaken. With two of his war gorillas.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2010, 01:36:38 pm »

I recently learned that it is possible to have three different caverns on your map, all at varying depths. I was trying to dig down and find the HFS and blue metal [one of my areas of expertise is mining the blue without breaching into HFS] and I accidentally stumbled upon two other caverns, one of which is filled to the brim with bloodthorns, which I then learned are extremely good for crafting into ballista bolts... so now I might have to actually transfer from catapults to ballistas.

Also, I have a question:

From the Wiki...

If this is all true, then why have people been reporting the ability to catch anything in cage traps? Is there some gimmick to it, or was the inability to fall unconscious on spoiler monsters fixed in a recent update or something?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2010, 02:08:03 pm »

The theory is that random critters don't have [WEBIMMUNE] in their raws (according to the string dump) and can thus be captured by being webbed on a cage trap. I don't think anyone has actually tried this though.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2010, 06:36:39 pm »

The theory is that random critters don't have [WEBIMMUNE] in their raws (according to the string dump) and can thus be captured by being webbed on a cage trap. I don't think anyone has actually tried this though.
Well it HAS been done with clowns before...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10