Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tapatalk forum iphone/android app for DF forums? Anyone else want it?  (Read 4091 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: Tapatalk forum iphone/android app for DF forums? Anyone else want it?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 04:11:01 am »

No offence but this has no place in DF General and sounds more like a marketing thread from the software creator :P

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 10:09:59 am »

I'm a cheapskate, so 3 bucks is three too high for this app. Besides, I have an unlimited data plan (quite cheap too) so I can browse as much as I want. No need to go around cutting things down.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 09:29:30 am »

*cough http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?wap2 cough*

Yes, there is a mobile version made by SMF, but it cuts out lots of features and isn't as easy to use. It's perfect for older phones and slower connections(which is one of my big things), but what if I want moar?! :O

LizardKing

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXP:0]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 10:02:28 am »

I use http://www.opera.com/mobile/ on my crappy old Sony Ericsson k608i. It's pretty awkward because of the stupidly small screen, but seems to work okay. And Free. No idea if it works on iPhones though. Probably not. Haha.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 05:11:26 pm »

well, no one is going to be forced to use or buy the app. It'd be nice if the forum side stuff was installed for those of us who would like it.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 11:11:58 am »

TBH this would be pretty useless for me. To start with I have a nokia N900 smartphone which doesn't use either android or iOS. It has a decent browser already installed (a modified version of firefox), and if I REALLY wanted to browse the forum faster on it then I would write my own software to do so.

It seems like this software is a complete rip-off.

Taptalk has a Nokia app too. It's near the bottom of this page

Not sure why so many people are quick to dismiss this. I've actually installed and used it to browse forums after being very accustom to using the built in browser. Android's build in browser is awesome but taptalk still makes stuff easier. It manages passwords, formats the threads and boards more logically for a forum, manages PMs. All sorts of things. 3$ isn't much to ask for that... plus... the free version is free. So you could at least read if you can't be bothered to shell out 3$ to a dev that's build a clever app.

First, I checked and this won't work on an N900 - I suspect it only supports the older symbian OS. The current OS is Maemo 5 which is a derivative of Debian Linux.

Second, as has been stated there is already a mobile version of the forum which, as far as I can tell, supports all the features I normally use. I could either use that directly through a browser, or, if I was feeling particularly bored, I could write a customised browser in python to parse the mobile version of the forum and add a nice GUI. This would cost me nothing, and in fact I have already done a similar thing for another website (xkcd).

If Toady thinks it can be done fairly quickly (as in a couple of hours) then sure, it would be nice for people who want to read the forums on mobile devices. On the other hand if it's going to take a couple of days to implement then I really think that time would be better spent working on DF.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 11:42:16 am »

TBH this would be pretty useless for me. To start with I have a nokia N900 smartphone which doesn't use either android or iOS. It has a decent browser already installed (a modified version of firefox), and if I REALLY wanted to browse the forum faster on it then I would write my own software to do so.

It seems like this software is a complete rip-off.

Taptalk has a Nokia app too. It's near the bottom of this page

Not sure why so many people are quick to dismiss this. I've actually installed and used it to browse forums after being very accustom to using the built in browser. Android's build in browser is awesome but taptalk still makes stuff easier. It manages passwords, formats the threads and boards more logically for a forum, manages PMs. All sorts of things. 3$ isn't much to ask for that... plus... the free version is free. So you could at least read if you can't be bothered to shell out 3$ to a dev that's build a clever app.

First, I checked and this won't work on an N900 - I suspect it only supports the older symbian OS. The current OS is Maemo 5 which is a derivative of Debian Linux.

Second, as has been stated there is already a mobile version of the forum which, as far as I can tell, supports all the features I normally use. I could either use that directly through a browser, or, if I was feeling particularly bored, I could write a customised browser in python to parse the mobile version of the forum and add a nice GUI. This would cost me nothing, and in fact I have already done a similar thing for another website (xkcd).

If Toady thinks it can be done fairly quickly (as in a couple of hours) then sure, it would be nice for people who want to read the forums on mobile devices. On the other hand if it's going to take a couple of days to implement then I really think that time would be better spent working on DF.

Ah, bummer it doesn't work on the N900? That seems really odd to me that they wouldn't support the more modern device.

As for the wap2 stuff, yeah it's nice but compared to what taptalk offers its frustrating to use.

I agree though, if its really complicated to integrate i know Toady's time is precious but if its a copy paste sort of install that'd be quick and easy.

EvilCartyen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 07:15:06 pm »

I will necro this for great justice, and because I want a tapatalk version :)

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 05:43:18 pm »

Ditto.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 09:11:33 pm »

*cough http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?wap2 cough*

Yes, there is a mobile version made by SMF, but it cuts out lots of features and isn't as easy to use. It's perfect for older phones and slower connections(which is one of my big things), but what if I want moar?! :O
Then you use the default Android browser. I'm sure this silly app is liable to disable a lot too. If it didn't, why would anyone ever use it over the default browser?
well, no one is going to be forced to use or buy the app. It'd be nice if the forum side stuff was installed for those of us who would like it.
Quite honestly, I would rather that Toady spend his time on the game. Adding forum support for a small portion of people who browse on iPhones (since Android people, myself included, don't have a problem using the unmodified browser)
Damn, I didn't realize the stuff I was responding to was old until now.

Oh well, it still stands.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:31:37 pm by Cruxador »

EvilCartyen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 07:12:40 am »

Wells, i am an android user, and I prefer tapatalk over the standard browser. It's neat, user friendly and quick. What's not to like? Don't want it? Don't use it. But I think It's perfectly legitimate to express that I do in fact want it :)

sdp0et

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 03:44:34 pm »

Is this something that has been suggested to Toady?  I'd like to have the forum accessible through tapatalk, but don't want to bug him if he's already said no.
sdp0et has been stressed lately. He was been accosted by work recently. He has been annoyed by coworkers. He admired a wonderful bed today. He admired a wonderful woman today.  He needs Coca-Cola to get through the working day.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 03:51:57 pm »

i went to a forum today and i got an add for that, first time i heard of it and now you saying this, is it that good?

kevbost

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I would like to put my coins into the chest for support w/ tapatalk.  The forum works fine in general browsing... but i have my favorite forums loaded in tapatalk making them all easy to access in symphony.

So yes, those are my coins.
Pages: 1 [2] 3