Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tapatalk forum iphone/android app for DF forums? Anyone else want it?  (Read 4100 times)

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile

http://www.tapatalk.com/

Basically, this app makes it really easy to browse and participate in forums. The free version allows for browsing and the 2.99 version allows for posting etc. It has alot of other features too.

The intergration for a forum to support it is free. So it wouldn't cost anything on Today's end. I'm hoping if we have enough smartphone users that would want to use it here we could get Toady to add support for us.

I know i spend alot of time lurking,reading and commenting here. I'd like to be able to do it on my phone too but i suppose if im the only one there's not much reason to add it. Anyone else interested?

Neo3d

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Tapatalk forum iphone/android app for DF forums? Anyone else want it?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 05:42:59 pm »

I use a net10 phone that lets me talk for 10 bux a month xD.  I don't understand all the texting and things from the kids on phones... it's like 10 inches from your ear.  They could just talk lol
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 05:44:44 pm »

I use a net10 phone that lets me talk for 10 bux a month xD.  I don't understand all the texting and things from the kids on phones... it's like 10 inches from your ear.  They could just talk lol

Doesn't sound like Tapatalk is for you then. =P

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 07:52:19 pm »

(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 10:16:49 am »

Seems kind of pointless to me... I post and browse the forum all the time from my phone... If I'm in an area with wifi it's fine to use the forum as is... otherwise gprs is fine too most of the time but if I'm in an area with crap signal  I just click the link at the bottom of the page for WAP2 which strips all images and fancy stuff.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 10:20:55 am »

Yes! I want this! Holy crap I've been hoping for this ever since I got my iPhone several months ago.

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 10:24:58 am »

Yes! I want this! Holy crap I've been hoping for this ever since I got my iPhone several months ago.

Is the browser on the iPhone that poor?

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 10:44:04 am »

No, but loading all the extra shit for a webpage is not good for my area. I only get 3G occasionally, so page loading is slow. Tapatalk will strip the superfluous HTML. Besides, the layout for the forums is designed for a large screen. There is a mobile version for SMF built in, but it is outdated and kinda clunky also. Something that is specifically designed for iPhones would be nice. The links I access the most, unread posts and new replies, are hard to get at on a tiny screen some times. Zooming in is easy, but with Tapatalk, those links have their very own tab and it looks extremely convenient.

Mostly it'll be a lot faster for me in the cell-phone-reception-nightmarish hole that I live in.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 11:56:49 am »

TBH this would be pretty useless for me. To start with I have a nokia N900 smartphone which doesn't use either android or iOS. It has a decent browser already installed (a modified version of firefox), and if I REALLY wanted to browse the forum faster on it then I would write my own software to do so.

It seems like this software is a complete rip-off.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 12:32:42 pm »

I'm on Android/3G here, and to be honest the only lack is sometimes the pictures get cropped if they're too large (for some reason the scrollbar does not appear) .
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 01:52:52 pm »

TBH this would be pretty useless for me. To start with I have a nokia N900 smartphone which doesn't use either android or iOS. It has a decent browser already installed (a modified version of firefox), and if I REALLY wanted to browse the forum faster on it then I would write my own software to do so.

You can't alter the HTML from the client side before it is served to you.

To Toady this software is 100% free. It may be a rip-off for some users, but honestly I already paid a couple hundred for my iPhone, and I've already spent a shit ton of time on the forums here so to me it would be worth it. You can barely buy a large soda from a fast food place for $3, so that's not a very large loss there.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 02:24:04 pm »

I'm on Android/3G here, and to be honest the only lack is sometimes the pictures get cropped if they're too large (for some reason the scrollbar does not appear) .

I am in this same boat.  And for me, the biggest annoyance with posting from my phone is simply that I am not very good with the tiny keyboard and it takes me forever to type anything, which would not be solved in any way with a fancy app.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 02:36:44 pm »

That's true. But typing on the iPhone has never bothered me, except that it doesn't have a dvorak layout.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 10:29:33 pm »

Is the browser on the iPhone that poor?

No but Taptalk is very clever and well executed. Forums were not designed with phones in mind and while yes with a well designed browser it is possible the app is a great way to stream line the process. Check it out, there's a free version of the app for android other formats may have one too. It's definitely worth a look if you participate in forums from your phone.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 10:34:52 pm »

Taptalk has a Nokia app too. It's near the bottom of this page

Not sure why so many people are quick to dismiss this. I've actually installed and used it to browse forums after being very accustom to using the built in browser. Android's build in browser is awesome but taptalk still makes stuff easier. It manages passwords, formats the threads and boards more logically for a forum, manages PMs. All sorts of things. 3$ isn't much to ask for that... plus... the free version is free. So you could at least read if you can't be bothered to shell out 3$ to a dev that's build a clever app.

Pages: [1] 2 3