Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Entertaining or Weird gods  (Read 4236 times)

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Entertaining or Weird gods
« on: August 25, 2010, 05:07:36 pm »

What is the most entertaining, unusual, or just plain weird god you've seen generated for your Dwarves or other civilizations? Bonus points for being a statue, engraving or image on some object/artifact in your Fortress of the god/goddess in question!

I have two.

1. Thistus Nestedbuckles the Most Velvety Flower... represented as a male dwarf. ::)
This one has an aluminum statue built in their image.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2. Vabak The Sensual Works
Imaged on a Cave Spider Silk Mask. The Artifact's name is eerily appropriate for the pose, but the article of clothing itself (a mask or as it's silk, a veil) is far more frighteningly appropriate for a goddess with the title "The Sensual Works." I shudder everytime I read it, because it forced me to picture a dwarf doing the "Dance of the Seven Veils"  :o

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Entertaining or Weird gods
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 05:19:44 pm »

First time I've had a non-humanoid god depicted on my artifacts...
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 05:20:50 pm »

Smosmos, god of groundhogs.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 05:32:15 pm »

Zoluth Thusetdur Togalstukos

Zoluth Furyfist the Stormy Razor was a deity in the myths of the Infallible Standards. He was usually depicted as a dwarf and was associated with revenge.

The name alone makes him awesome and it gets even better when Zoluth is translated. Combat Furyfist the Stormy Razor.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 06:13:28 pm »

She's one of the more commonly worshiped deities in my fortress, which honestly doesn't surprise me.

And then theres Dolek, who seems like Armok's brother when you look at what he is associated with.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:16:14 pm by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 08:29:49 pm »

And then theres Dolek, who seems like Armok's brother when you look at what he is associated with.

I have one associated with the same stuff named Eges, whose name translates to... Eges. I think the associates aren't chosen entirely at random. They probably are chosen relating to whatever sphere of influence is randomly assigned to that god. I suspect the same sphere of influence determines a their title or at least restricts the values they can take on.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 10:45:43 pm »

Id. She's goddamn metal.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 07:34:39 pm »

The item is a finely-designed image of Asol, the diety of chaos, war and fortresses, depicted as a female dwarf in chalk. Asol is screaming.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 07:40:58 pm »

I now it's been said

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 07:53:01 pm »

"Baros Deathgrave, diety of suicide." That's...impressive.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 08:48:04 pm »

A glance at the language file shows that Baros means Funeral so Funeral Deathgrave. Obviously the life of any party that pantheon has.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 08:53:08 pm »

Oh great, its Baros. Who invited the emo kid?

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 09:10:22 pm »

In regards to gods of various types having certain words chosen for their names:

You're right, that isn't random. Take a look at the string dump on the wiki under 'symbolic word types' and the language_sym file in your raw files. The sphere of a deity's influence seem to affect which symbols they choose from. Which is sweet. Night creatures are generally associated with symbols like death or violence, which is why their names generally translate to things like 'Tomb'.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 09:17:35 pm »

Also, if you want to see really gross gods, edit your entity raws so that dwarves select untoward symbols and have religion spheres based around lust. 

Humans just have the 'Pantheon' religion, which I believe just means they can have an incredibly diverse set of gods that are somewhat randomly selected, which is why I've had humans bring idols of their Slut Goddess and Mineral God in the same caravan. I think religion sphere tags just force the entity to have a god of that sphere, and the addition of further gods is random. Dwarves don't inherently worship suicide as far as I can tell: I think that civilization just added a god of suicide to the usual pantheon of fortresses, wealth, minerals, etc.

Elves have the regional force religion, which if you take a look at legends is just that.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:21:33 pm by Johnny Madhouse »
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 09:24:44 pm »

I have one associated with the same stuff named Eges, whose name translates to... Eges. I think the associates aren't chosen entirely at random. They probably are chosen relating to whatever sphere of influence is randomly assigned to that god. I suspect the same sphere of influence determines a their title or at least restricts the values they can take on.

I have a god named Eges who is associated with mercy, war and fortressess. One of the more worshipped in the place now.
Pages: [1] 2