Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: A Village Crumbles...  (Read 5379 times)

Quarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Village Crumbles...
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 12:06:27 am »

Let's see if we can get Landyn to pay us to go in his stead, then using that money we'll go to town and buy a sword or something.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 02:04:38 am »

Offer to go in his place
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 06:21:18 am »

Choo Choo...

Just jumping onto this Train here so I can watch...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 06:32:04 am »

Put him out of his misery.

... I mean...

Ask his wife for more information.

Also, see if you can find a good carving knife in the kitchen- better than using your fists.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 08:58:29 am »

Propose to his wife so you can help take care of the family while he is gone.

or..you could go in his place.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 12:04:24 pm »

Go in his place, plan to betray the army in the most destructive manner possible.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Laetificus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 02:15:11 pm »

Landyn proceeded to leave the room, probably going into one of the bedrooms of the house. His wife was about to follow him, before…

“May, was it?”

An attempt to break the tense atmosphere which may have been questionable, but it was better than just watching.

“Oh,” she turns to you, suddenly remembering your presence, “I’m sorry you had to…”

“No, no.” You try and keep an understanding face on, “I too have had a horrible experience with Neptune’s army. See, my village was raided and razed to the ground by these men. I’m not sure if my family is alive or not,” You pause, clearly stating this assumption wasn’t going to aid much right now.

May’s face managed to turn even more depressed, but a few moments later, it was struck with surprise.

“Razed? Was your village far from here?”

You thought about it. “No, I don’t think so. We're still in Armstader, right?"

She nodded slowly, “I wonder why they would…”

You quickly cross the room, with a very serious look on your face; you look her in the eyes and ask,

“I think I need to talk to your husband.” She blinks. “Where did he go?”

“Eh…” She quickly glances across the room, “He’s probably in the bedroom.”

You charge out of the kitchen.

You find Landyn in a modest sized room at the end of the hall. The door lay ajar, you could see Landyn’s shadow sitting in the room. You stride in as subtly as you can. A window was open at the foot of the bed, and you could feel a faint breeze. The bed lay in the farthest corner, and a small bedside table accompanying it. You decide to sit down on the windowsill.

“Hey.” Landyn doesn’t shift his view from the picture frame he’s holding. A family photo; Landyn posing with a cheesy grin across his face next to his wife, holding the hand of their daughter. May’s pregnant. 

A bag filled with sweatshirts and undergarments lay on the bed. He didn’t own a weapon to bring along, it appeared.
“Landyn, you know…” You start, trying to get the words lined up in your head. “The officer that came never saw your face. They would never know if you yourself didn’t arrive.”

“Hah, I’d be fairin’ worse if I didn’t show, I reckon.”

“I’ll go in your place.” He turned around with an overwhelmed look in his eyes. You nod subtly, reassuring him that his ears served him well.

He laughed a single time, before setting the frame on the table. “Oi, if yer just messing with me, I’ll beat yer battle-juts-ass until—“

“I’m not.” 

Silence.

May walks in, and immediately notices the two men sitting in electrified silence with each other.

“And the Mistress,” You say with the perkiest tone you can achieve, “I believe there’s something you two should discuss.”
 With a whirl, you swing your legs over the window sill, landing on the ground outside. It’s good to be outside, the fresh air, the beating sun. Your eyes squint a little as you adjust to the light and your head aches a bit more.

“Satoshi, wait.” Landyn’s firm voice calls for you, and you spin around, eyebrows raised. He pulls out a dresser drawer completely from the bedside table and flips it over. Carefully, he extracts the false bottom from it and pulls out a small pouch. He throws it in your direction, a perfect, arching trajectory.

It hits your hand and falls to the ground. You pause and adopt a helpless grin as you pick the bag up. The all too familiar clinking of gold coins is a welcome sound. You stand back up, and Landyn is standing at the windowsill. As he’s closing the windows, you hear him whisper, “If only we could repay you in full.”

The windows shut, and you see Landyn stretch an honest smile across his face. May stood behind him, she felt that something good had happened, but wasn’t explicitly told. You return the gesture of good faith, and a curtain drops.
With a sigh of relief, you walk to the main road.

You weigh the coins in your hand, and open the bag. Easily, 200 gold sits in the palm of your hand. This isn’t bad, you think to yourself, wondering how much a new sword and perhaps some clothes would cost you.

Oh right, you’ll be wearing a uniform full time soon.

Scratching your head a little, you stand on a dirt road that has seen better days. To your left, the small town, probably equipped with a market, bar and inn, and maybe even a city hall. The barracks would be fairly quiet if you wanted to stake it out. Around you, the blue sky stretches as far as the eye can see, and the sun is in its highest point in the sky. 

You stretch your back, welcoming the use of your legs. You remember that the draft meets at midnight; you have a few hours to burn.

Where do you need to go?

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:44:23 am by Laetificus »

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 02:22:15 pm »

To the market first, of course.

Quarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 02:26:07 pm »

We need to buy a sword. A proper katana if possible -- I doubt our battoujutsu will work well with a western scabbard.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 02:40:15 pm »

Photo?  Damned homebrew tech levels.  ;D  (Not that it isn't entirely possible to do photography while still at a bow-and-arrow level of warfare, mind.  Just means gunpowder only ever worked as fireworks.)

Market - buy our own sword, and maybe a 'secret helper' in the form of some sort of chest protection we can get under our clothes.  Then, stalking time!
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 07:56:45 pm »

Photo?  Damned homebrew tech levels.  ;D  (Not that it isn't entirely possible to do photography while still at a bow-and-arrow level of warfare, mind.  Just means gunpowder only ever worked as fireworks.)

Market - buy our own sword, and maybe a 'secret helper' in the form of some sort of chest protection we can get under our clothes.  Then, stalking time!
I think its more of the fact that the Chinese Equivalent of this World didn't sell the tech to the European Equivalent for shiny stones...

"| ,| ,_,|  (<< Musical Notes ^_^ )
To Market, to market, went my brother Jim,
Till somebody threw a Tomato at him.
Tomato's are soft and they don't bruise the skin.
But this one killed Jim,
It was wrapped in a Tin...
"| ,| ,_,|
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 07:59:03 pm »

Priority 1. Get a good blade. Good- even if it costs all of your money. Search around for a swordsmith or something to haggle with.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Laetificus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 08:18:06 pm »

You decide to immediately head towards the market, in hopes of finding a weapon. It’s a fairly short walk into the town; you soon find yourself looking up to Early Renaissance Age architecture. The scale to which these buildings reached was remarkable; facades that reached the height of several dozen men, latticework that would’ve needed the hands of a thousand. But you had priorities, and you followed a large stream of people, hoping that they would lead you to the market. It was an average trip, to say the least.

You could hear the commotion of the market long before you were actually in it; a wide open area composed of several hundred humans in a variable chaos. From simple wooden stalls, the yells of the merchants rang out, each trying to best the others. You wonder how many in the crowd are getting their pockets nicked at the moment. Sliding your bag of coins into your pocket, you pull your shirt over it.

Firstly, you would need a sword. You were trained in use of a katana, so you immediately set forth in search for one.

This was a problem in its own right, as Western weapons were the norm here. Longswords, broadswords and estocs were in no short supply, but after scouring through half the market, there wasn’t a single curved blade in sight!

But there was one merchant who caught your eye. He looked like a traveler, stopping by in town to sell some excess weight. It was a small set-up, nothing more than him, a large backpack he sat on and a cloth with some miscellaneous items on it. A flower hairclip. A couple of plates. A few tools and some worn out clothing.

No, not miscellaneous.

It was obvious that the merchant had attempted to wipe down the items, but there was soot in the petals of the hairclip, and presumably around the bottom edge of the dishes. You sit down in front of him, picking up a few of the items and asking about them. His prices were modest, not that you were actually interested in buying anything anyways. You just had to get him to…

“Hey, isn’t there a chip in this plate?” He raised an eyebrow, obviously not excited about customer inquiries. He must have overlooked it when he put them out.

You didn’t though. You knew there was a chip in that plate. They used to be yours, after all, and if you pointed it out, he’d have to come over and look at it…

There.

It was attached to his waist. The traditional diamond pattern around the handle was enough to give it away, but there was an unmistakable curve to the sheath. He kneeled down, looking closer at the plates. He lowered the offered price slightly, but you weren’t listening to him.

“Actually, I noticed you were wearing quite a lovely weapon.”

He looked down, patting the katana that he wore on the hilt. He took it a ways out of the sheath and was admiring it.

To your dismay, you notice he was actually wearing it the wrong way. The curve of the blade was supposed to face up, so that the wearer could effectively draw and slash in the same movement. He was wearing it edge down, so that not only was he vulnerable to surprise attacks, he was putting unnecessary pressure on the finely honed edge. Your eyebrow twitched. This man was clearly clueless in regards of how to use such a weapon. Actually… 

“Do you like it? How about, 250, and we’ll call it.”

250 was a lot of gold.

A lot of gold to give to a thief.

How do you proceed?

Abilities: Trained in Battoujutsu, can use a sword well.
Inventory: 200 gold, and some basic clothing.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 08:20:18 pm by Laetificus »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 08:33:29 pm »

I doubt that there is any markings or insignia to say that this was ours to begin with, nor would we be carrying anything that could match it...

Idea:

Look down at the items and sigh, say something along the lines of, "You know, my Wife used to have a Hairclip just like this, used to wear it while she worked," Step forward while speaking to close the distance so that he is within grabbing distance, voice changing from monotone to a more darker sound "She would still wear it but sadly she has passed away, died when our home was destroyed, I thought I lost everything, including my weapons, never thought I would see them again, especially in the hands of a grave robber," if he moves to finish drawing the blade, slap the palm of the hand against the hilt and push it back into the sheath step close while making it look to any one looking in that it was a more private conversation... "I thank you for returning them to me, I am forever in your debt master Grave robber..."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 11:26:57 pm »

He's not ready for a surprise attack. Kill Him. If the guards come after you, say you're in the employ of Neptune's Army

or

Ask to see it- Tell him it's worth double the price, offer him more money for it. Once you have it, Run like all hell.
It's not wrong to steal from a thief. If he is stupid enough to call the guards on you, you can stake your claim.

After you're out of danger, grab a meal, then go see if you can find a doctor who isn't useless for your head.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 01:41:40 am by Tack »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4