Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Looking for a game that allows an Undead Singularity  (Read 8345 times)

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for a game that allows an Undead Singularity
« on: August 25, 2010, 10:42:05 am »

I've been looking for a game that lets me reanimate bodies into zombies then reanimate things those zombies kill on a mass scale.

Dominions 3 almost had this but if I sent a necromancer into battle he would resurrect the fallen during battle which would prevent their use after battle and if I didn't send them into battle it would take them 1 month to get to the battlegrounds and by then there's nothing to reanimate.

I tried Diablo 2 but if I remember correctly it had a fairly low body limit. I'm looking to lead an undead army.

Sacrifice kind of does this but does it for every unit type, not just undead.

Basically looking for a game that
1 Makes creating undead require (or at least made easier by) having a dead body.
2 Doesn't have an arbitrary headcount limit (or at least have a really high one) for undead you reanimate.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a game that allows an Undead Singularity
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 10:47:39 am »

Only thing that comes to my mind is Heroes 3 and necromancer.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 10:50:36 am »

Heroes 3 nevromancer is the go

Play normally, try not to lose vampires. Reach vampire treshold.  You cannot lose ever gain.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 10:52:42 am »

Stubbs the Zombie
Although it might not be what you're looking for, it certainly has the whole "undead army" thing.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 03:01:54 pm »

Or you could go the retro route and check out the supremely awesome precursor to Dominions:  Conquest of Elysium II

Don't ask me why they called it CoE:II, seeing as there was never a first one...  Also, just run a Google search and you'll find a download link for the full version from when Illwinter released it for free.  I'm not sure why they're keeping the demo link up on that page.  Illwinter has been a little weird with its homepages for some time...

Necromancers are tricky as hell to get started in CoE, but once you manage to stockpile enough resources to undergo the transformation into a lich, the whole world becomes your plaything.  There's not much detail, but if you're fine with the Dom 3 style of just having a number then you should be fine and dandy with Elysium's "presence" mechanic.

Just don't go overboard in the beginning.  Early mass-resurrection will make you go insane and lose control of your actions.  Liches can't go insane, that's why every necromancer desires to be one, since it results in near-free summoning of gargantuan armies of the dead.

As in, armies so big that when you get into combat, you'll be so far back from the action that you can't even cast spells until the first several lines have fallen.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 09:35:00 pm »

This one too.

http://www.wesnoth.org/

It's hard to pull off though.  You might want to search for some mods to help out, there are a lot of them.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 09:35:23 pm »

You could do this in Master of Magic, actually. I used this strategy to win a game rather quickly. Sent a couple zombies at the first neutral town I found, killed the defenders, and they rose from the dead. Those undead crushed the next town, and my army increased in size again. Soon I found my first other player, and my army of undead steamrolled them, and my army doubled in size.

20 turns or so later, I had conquered all but one of the other players, each of whom had been bigger and stronger than the last, and thus made my force even larger than before. The last one was the only one to be an actual challenge, especially considering she was a necromancer herself. (I won just the same, but considering I had something like 3 times as much territory by then, and send a ton of special summoned units at her in addition to hordes of undead... The only thing keeping her alive for a while was her own summoned units.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 09:42:20 pm »

http://www.kongregate.com/games/BinarySpace/zombie-outbreak-simulator

This is... the farthest thing i can find myself. Too bad you can't control the zombies... yet?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 12:55:50 pm »

You could do this in Master of Magic, actually. I used this strategy to win a game rather quickly.

9 unit per square limitation really killed this for me. 

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 07:51:06 pm »

You could do this in Master of Magic, actually. I used this strategy to win a game rather quickly. Sent a couple zombies at the first neutral town I found, killed the defenders, and they rose from the dead. Those undead crushed the next town, and my army increased in size again. Soon I found my first other player, and my army of undead steamrolled them, and my army doubled in size.
Uh, last I checked Master of Magic doesn't have neutral towns. Are you sure that's the game you're thinking of?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 08:45:25 pm »

Uh, last I checked Master of Magic doesn't have neutral towns. Are you sure that's the game you're thinking of?
Are you freaking kidding?  It sure does.  And they're a great way to add new races to your empire.  I think you're thinking of a different game yourself :/
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 03:11:19 am »

Are you freaking kidding?  It sure does.  And they're a great way to add new races to your empire.  I think you're thinking of a different game yourself :/
Sowelu is right, but... I thought in MoM only the ghouls could create undead by attacking... Perhaps we are all thinking of a different game ;)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 03:16:40 am »

Sowelu is right, but... I thought in MoM only the ghouls could create undead by attacking... Perhaps we are all thinking of a different game ;)
Yeah ghouls not zombies (afaik only way to get zombies is Zombie Mastery spell) but ghouls aren't only ones raising dead after fight, my personal favourites Wrights also do, demon king or something to that effect also does.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 03:31:33 am »

MoM certainly has neutral towns, being a major gameplay mechanic, but zombies don't raise other zombies so that strategy is impossible early-game. Hell, even with ghouls and zombie mastery you only get a fraction of the units you kill back as zombies.

If you really want to steamroll everyone early in MoM, use Chaos magic and start spawning hellhounds as often as possible, then send squads of 5-6 of them to knock out all the neutral towns.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.
Pages: [1] 2 3