Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22

Author Topic: Battle of the Gods: an RP Thread  (Read 45801 times)

Fenrir

Re: Battle of the Gods: an RP Thread
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2008, 08:34:00 pm »

Fenrir's eyes bulge as the Blood God's grip tightens. "Air!" he gasps, "I must have air!"

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2008, 08:38:00 pm »

Imp looks over at the two hugging gods.

"Armok, if yer so happy to 'ave 'im back, then dun go an' kill 'im! Let 'im breathe a bit."

EDIT: accent

[ February 09, 2008: Message edited by: Impending Doom ]

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2008, 11:06:00 pm »

[OOC]

The Aegean citadel is expanded, boasting new weaponmaking accomodations, as well as a new training field for the Aegean military.  Prospectors discover several chutes leading deep underground in the surrounding cliffs.

code:

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂.♣♣.♣.♣│~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂▲▲▲▲^ ▲▲▲▲⌂..♣♣.♣┌──┘~ ~~~~↑↑~~~~~~~~~.
▲▲⌂⌂⌂.......⌂▲▲▲ ▲▲▲⌂..♣┌───┘.⌂⌂~ ~~~↑↑↑~~~~~~~~..
▲⌂⌂......≈⌂⌂▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲⌂⌂..│....⌂▲⌂~ ~~~~↑~~~~..~....
▲⌂......π≈≈≈⌂▲▲▲ ^▲▲⌂.┌─┘.♣♣..⌂~~ ~~~~~~~.........
▲¤▲⌂⌂..π.π≈≈⌂⌂▲▲ ▲$⌂..│...1.♣.~~~ ~~~........~~...
▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂║⌂⌂⌂⌂▲▲▲▲ ⌂c──┬┘..♣◘♣..~~. ......♣♣..~~~...
▲▲^▲▲▲▲║▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂ ....│.!..1♣..~.. ≈≈≈.....♣...~~..
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲║▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂ .=..└──┐...♣.U.≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈..........
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲╠π^▲▲▲⌂⌂. ♣♣.....└─┐...*≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.....♣...
⌂⌂⌂▲▲▲▲║▲▲▲▲⌂..♣ ♣♣.♣.....└───≈≈≈ ≈≈≈▲≈≈≈≈≈.....♣.
.⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂▲☻⌂⌂⌂⌂..♣. ♣.♣♣♣♣..♣.*...≈≈ ≈≈♣♣⌂≈≈≈≈≈....♣♣
..⌂%⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂...♣♣♣ ♣♣≈♣♣♣♣♣.♣♣.#.≈≈ ≈≈≈♣≈≈≈≈≈≈...♣..
♣≈≈%≈⌂⌂⌂......♣♣ ♣≈≈≈♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣..≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈......⌂⌂
.♣≈≈≈≈......♣♣♣♣ ♣≈@♣♣♣♣.♣♣♣..≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈....⌂⌂.⌂⌂▲
♣.♣♣...♣..♣♣.♣♣♣ ♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣*≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈..⌂▲▲▲⌂▲▲

a = Aegean civilian. A = Aegean hero/military troop.

Also, while I do appreciate your new toy, Armok, those names aren't really what I was thinking of.  These dudes aren't the result of Aquaria (a game I've never even heard of, but I may look into it now that you bring it up), but the Atlantian race of Dominions.  The  name "Yagesh" fits in somewhat with the naming of Atlantians, and I practically stole the elders/prophetic orb ideas from Dominions 3.  I made a few tweaks to suit my own interests, however.

In Dominions, Atlantians never die of old age, and they never stop growing.  The older Atlantians become massive compared to their younger brethren, and their scales harden with age.  Some grow to be as large as dragons, and immensely strong.  I liked the idea, and based my guys off that.

I am going to take you up on that water tunnel idea.  I might start wreaking a little havoc on those tunneling dwarves as well...

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2008, 08:14:00 am »

(OOC: please do! A little action is always welcome.)

Hermatus glares at the hugging gods and moves his piece, while still glaring. "Ey, cut it out!"

code:

▲⌂.....­≡π≈≈≈⌂▲▲▲ ^▲▲⌂.┌─┘.♣♣..⌂~~ ~~~~~~~.........
▲¤▲⌂⌂..π☼π≈≈⌂⌂▲▲ ▲$⌂..│...1.♣.~~~ ~~~........~~...
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲╠═▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂ .≡..└──┐...♣.U.≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈..........
.⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂▲║⌂⌂⌂⌂..♣. ♣.♣♣♣♣..♣.*...≈≈ ≈≈♣♣⌂≈≈≈≈≈....♣♣
..⌂%⌂⌂⌂☻⌂⌂...♣♣♣ ♣♣≈♣♣♣♣♣.♣♣.#.≈≈ ≈≈≈♣≈≈≈≈≈≈...♣..
♣≈≈%≈⌂⌂⌂......♣♣ ♣≈≈≈♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣..≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈......⌂⌂

The capital exploded. Migrants were flooding into the mountain outpost to escape the crowds. Though really all they were running into were more crowds, and in a tight tunnel no less. Work on a second tunnel had begun, leading to the east. While that continued he decided that the forest to the southeast should be scouted for suitible settlement sites. He would oversee the operation personally.

(OOC: everyone use ­≡ instead of = for migrant groups now, to avoid confusion with tunnels. Also if im going too fast its not mah fault, im only updating once per day.  :( Tha rest of you slackers are going to need to pick up the pace, especially Fenrir, since he wont be visiting the forum as frequently his turns should be more cheesy, uh, no, adventurous, bigger?)

Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Fenrir

« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2008, 08:36:00 am »

Quagh lays down and rolls over at Karg's feet. "Our scouts report that a tunnel has opened in the mountains to the west." he says, "Dwarves are pouring out like water!" An angry expression sweeps across Karg's face. "First the humans to the east, then the coyotes in the north, and now dwarves!" the alpha wolf shouts angrily "I suppose they'll be wanting wood too! Have the scouts keep an eye on them." Quagh rises and exits the den.

[ February 10, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2008, 10:39:00 am »

[OOC]Well, I can't always lay down a turn, because my life just got that extra little bit hectic (see India Fortress thread for more info).  I think once a day may be pushing it a bit hard for some, but I suppose empty dwarven halls are the best type of ruin once we decide your bearded ones have grown too far...

Always has the fall of dwarves been their own expansion.
[/OOC]

code:

▲⌂.....­≡π≈≈≈⌂▲▲▲ ^▲▲⌂.┌─┘.♣♣..⌂~~ ~~~~~~~.........
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲╠═▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂ .≡..└──┐...♣.U.≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈..........
.⌂⌂a⌂⌂▲║⌂⌂⌂⌂..♣. ♣.♣♣♣♣..♣.*...≈≈ ≈≈♣♣⌂≈≈≈≈≈....♣♣
..⌂%⌂⌂⌂☻⌂⌂...♣♣♣ ♣♣≈♣♣♣♣♣.♣♣.#.≈≈ ≈≈≈♣≈≈≈≈≈≈...♣..
♣≈≈%%⌂⌂⌂......♣♣ ♣≈≈≈♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣..≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈......⌂⌂

Q'uagnun surveyed the landscape in front of him with large eyes that were well adapted to the murk of the surrounding waters.  Before him lay the new section of Ygmesh Dalq'uur, Temple-City of the Aegeans.  The new city section, although not fully constructed, still provided glimpses of what lay ahead for the Aegean populace.

A new market plaza was being paved with stone tiles decorated with shells to make a grand mosaic at the bottom level, with larger shop areas being built to form walls around the central area.

These shops would become the domains of richer merchants, while the lesser traders would set up their stands on the plaza floor below.  Q'uagnun saw all the Aegeans swimming from shop to shop, the busy merchants on the bottom selling their wares, and the bulging eyes of civilians as they simply sat and observed the goings-on.  All these images were merely the creations of Q'uagnun's mind, as the plaza floor was only halfway completed, the mosaic oddly lopsided in its incomplete state.

Q'uagnun, grand high general of the Aegean army, watched for a while longer before releasing his grip on the coral beneath him and swimming lazily along his patrol route once more.

The dangerous fish had long since been neutralized, and the lake provided little in the way of threat to the Aegean population, but the patrols were important training for the new recruits in the army, at least in Q'uagnun's opinion.

The phalanx of soldiers, armed with spears tipped in tooth or bone spearheads and armed with turtle-shell shields, fell into formation behind Q'uagnun again as he proceeded along the route once more.

Farther north, beyond the newly constructed military complexes from which Q'uagnun had departed on his patrol, an exploratory group ventured into one of the tunnels that led into the darkness of the cliffside.  Although mostly civilians, they brought along a soldier armed in the traditional equipment in case they encountered something inside one of the shafts they explored.  

Inside the tunnel system, they relied on the shimmering lights of moonfish brought in bloated fish stomach sacks, as it was too dark even for their exceptional nightvision.  The restless nature of their light source cast constantly shifting images on the cave walls as they passed through, sometimes startling small cave creatures out from their hiding places in the craggy tunnel walls.

The expedition continued northward, following the curving shaft as it snaked its way through the rock.  They encountered no more than a few cave prawns, their shells stark white and eyeless from generations of living in a lightless environment, although dark spaces always have a way of breeding thoughts of monsters in the mind...

Sitting at the world table in the god's playground, Yagesh contemplated his favored race happily, experiencing their rise to power one thought at a time.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2008, 09:07:00 am »

Hermatus glanced around. "My turn again it seems." Sighing he moved his piece. "We really need to redo the stonework here. No really, we do."

code:

▲⌂⌂...­≡..≈⌂⌂▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲⌂⌂..│....⌂▲⌂~ ~~~~↑~~~~..~....
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲╠══▲▲▲▲⌂⌂ .≡..└──┐...♣.U.≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈..........
.⌂⌂a⌂⌂▲║⌂⌂⌂⌂..♣. ♣.♣♣♣♣..♣.*...≈≈ ≈≈♣♣⌂≈≈≈≈≈....♣♣
..⌂%⌂⌂⌂║⌂⌂...♣♣♣ ♣♣≈♣♣♣♣♣.♣♣.#.≈≈ ≈≈≈♣≈≈≈≈≈≈...♣..
♣≈≈%%⌂⌂☻......♣♣ ♣≈≈≈♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣..≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈......⌂⌂

Jencull (same hero) stood as the rock crumbled around him. The echoes of stone shattering rang through the tunnel as the clang of picks on rock made the mind numb. This place is going to be the staging point he thought, from here the kingdom would spread. The sound of shouts back down the tunnel snapped him out of it. Migrants were storming through the passage to escape the mountains, well, it was best not to stop them.

(OOC: btw Kagus, your writing is beautiful, never have I read such a wonderful series of words.)

[ February 11, 2008: Message edited by: Dark ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2008, 10:42:00 am »

code:

▲⌂⌂...­≡..≈⌂⌂▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲⌂⌂..│....⌂▲⌂~ ~~~~↑~~~~..~....
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲╠══▲▲▲▲⌂⌂ .≡..└──┐...♣.U.≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈..........
⌂⌂⌂▲a▲▲║▲▲▲▲⌂..♣ ♣♣.♣.....└───≈≈≈ ≈≈≈▲≈≈≈≈≈.....♣.
♣≈≈%%⌂⌂☻......♣♣ ♣≈≈≈♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣..≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈......⌂⌂
.♣≈A≈≈......♣♣♣♣ ♣≈@♣♣♣♣.♣♣♣..≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈....⌂⌂.⌂⌂▲

The expedition continued onwards, following the snaking bends of the watery tunnel farther into the mountains.  There were larger pockets along the path now, and smaller tributaries connecting the tunnel they traveled through into some unseen water network deep inside the earth, soft currents sometimes emanating from the small holes.

And, as the group carried onward, they began to see larger fish and crustaceans in their path, sometimes capturing a few cave fish for a meal in order to conserve supplies.  Odd scents also started to waft through the waters, vague snatches at first, but growing stronger the farther they progressed down the tunnel.  These were of unknown origins, but the strength of the odors was enough to cause unease among the naturally skittish researchers.

But onward they continued, as their sense of duty compelled them to.  This path was to be explored and charted, so that the citadel council would have some form of reference when deciding what to do with the strange channel.

For now, however, it was the domain of the researchers and their guard, and they sensed little of the world outside the flickering lights of the moonfish as they moved to their strange dance inside the bags.

South of the citadel, Q'uagnun and his phalanx moved farther towards the shore of the lake, a place known to have not been cleared completely by the Aegean settling of the area.

Q'uagnun had used this place for years as a training ground for recruits to test their mettle againts large fish and the occasional wild land beast that waded in from the banks.  Although these beasts were hardly a fearsome enemy, it gave the recruits a feeling of triumph that would aid in Q'uagnun's control of them.  A warrior will always follow a commander who leads his men to glory.

It also gave Q'uagnun a very detailed look at how the various individuals reacted to a combat situation, allowing him to accuratel pick which soldiers required promotion and encouragement, and which ones required...  Obedience.

The scarred scales around Q'uagnun's mouth folded into each other as the old general grinned silently to himself.  He was hardly cruel to those who failed his test, far from it.  But he always found pleasure in finding new recruits that were lacking in the necessary traits of a true warrior, and demanded his special attentions.  Requiring him to focus his attentions on them, requiring him to forge them into soldiers that would be fiercely loyal to him and to the Aegean cause, and dreadfully efficient on the battlefield.

Let the strong fight their brawls and gain the glory they so covet, Q'uagnun though.  He would raise his troops from the meek, the lessers, and he would make them into the greatest warriors the Citadel had ever seen.

And they would always remember their debt.  Of that, Q'uagnun was well aware.

Ahead, a giant pike slithered out of the crack between two rocks, and the soldiers readied their weapons.  Q'uagnun's smile returned as he surveyed the Aegeans before him.  Now comes the time of judgement, he thought to himself, and ordered the attack.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2008, 06:20:00 pm »

(OOC: I haven't forgotten, its just that I haven't had any time were I have not been to exhausted to write good RP. So I guess the kobolds might sleep for quite a while, if unfortunate. sorry)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fenrir

« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2008, 10:36:00 am »

Fenrir walks back up to the game board. Armok is still clinging to him, but the Blood God has a far-away look in his eyes.
"He seems to be occupied with matters on another plane." he speculates, "I'd wager he doesn't know he's still got me."

---
IN GAME:

The party of werewolves carefully surveyed the tunnel. Many dwarves now poured out through the opening, and their earthy stench filled the air. A werewolf looked at another and gestured eastward. The werewolf to whom the signal was given nodded and ran off in the direction his superior had indicated.
---

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2008, 11:40:00 am »

Hermatus smiled. It was nice to see how everything started to play out this far into the game. He moved his piece. "I could prob'ly conjure up some ale if yer all thirsty, I know im conjuring up some fer myself at least... and Fenrir, would you mind eating that elf who brews that crap they serve here? Yah thanks."

code:

▲⌂⌂..≡...≈⌂⌂▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲⌂⌂..│....⌂▲⌂~ ~~~~↑~~~~..~....
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲╠═══▲▲▲⌂⌂ .≡..└──┐...♣.U.≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈..........
⌂⌂⌂▲a▲▲║▲▲▲▲⌂..♣ ♣♣.♣.....└───≈≈≈ ≈≈≈▲≈≈≈≈≈.....♣.
♣≈≈%%⌂⌂π☻.....♣♣ ♣≈≈≈♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣..≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈......⌂⌂
.♣≈A≈≈.≡....♣♣♣♣ ♣≈@♣♣♣♣.♣♣♣..≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈....⌂⌂.⌂⌂▲

With a group of migrants at his back Jencull started his march to the east, a land hidden from his people, even the mountain outpost could not see what lay beyond, the tall peaks forbid such. Another group had set out southwest, to what appeared to be a quiet lake. Despite rumours from the mountain outpost of a sunken city deep beneath the waters, he doubted there would be any trouble this far west.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2008, 12:25:00 pm »

code:

▲⌂⌂..≡...≈⌂⌂▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲⌂⌂..│....⌂▲⌂~ ~~~~↑~~~~..~....
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲╠═══▲▲▲⌂⌂ .≡..└──┐...♣.U.≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈..........
⌂⌂⌂▲▲a▲║▲▲▲▲⌂..♣ ♣♣.♣.....└───≈≈≈ ≈≈≈▲≈≈≈≈≈.....♣.
♣≈%%%⌂⌂π☻.....♣♣ ♣≈≈≈♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣..≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈......⌂⌂
.♣≈A≈≈.≡....♣♣♣♣ ♣≈@♣♣♣♣.♣♣♣..≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈....⌂⌂.⌂⌂▲

The patrol swam through the now reddish waters of the great lake, the giant pike trailing behind them like a macabre banner, its sightless eyes observing the procession with an almost haughty stare as it was carried along in their impromptu victory lap.

Q'uagnun, swimming in place a short ways off, observed the ordeal with the mask of sternness that his office required at such displays.  Inside, however, his mind ran back over the events of the past few moments with a mixture of feelings.

All but one of the soldiers had charged furiously at the giant pike, with no hesitation and that look of battle-lust that Q'uagnun knew well in their eyes.

All but one of the soldiers struck fiercely at the fish as it writhed, almost crawling over each other to make their mark on the beast.

All but one.

Kakkek'Zraa, one of the younger recruits and thus slightly smaller, was the one that intrigued Q'uagnun.  When his brothers-in-arms charged, he hesitated.  When his patrol mates crowded around the pike to dispatch it, he stayed at the back, clawing forward with less enthusiasm.  And when the creature was finally slain, he moved back into his preferred place, out of sight and out of mind of the others.  Minor movements that might have been lost on a less experienced commander, but Q'uagnun's learned eyes saw it all.

This was to be Q'uagnun's newest disciple.  Of that, he was certain.  

He was only disappointed that more of the recruits did not qualify.  At least, Q'uagnun thought as the patrol moved along its route, the citadel will more heroes to look up to.  And indeed, the boisterous warriors who had fought the pike would prove to be perfect candidates of the populace's approval, and would certainly have their memorable feats inscribed and told to the newer generations.  Well, perhaps they'd be bettered somewhat by creative poets or scholars, but who can really say what was truth and what was fiction, once enough years have passed?

Kekkek'Zraa moved along with the rest of the phalanx as they progressed once more along their route, never suspecting the intense consideration being placed upon him.

Farther north, the expedition continued to follow the twisting pipe, although in which direction they were unsure.  One's facing and location soon fade in such environments, and although this would normally distress the researchers (or most anyone, for that matter), they had become entranced by their little world.  The world that went only in two directions, and even then not for sure.  For what world could possibly lie in the blackness outside of the moonfish's glow?  

Thoughts of the citadel, of their families, and of the world outside that little sphere of dancing light, started to fade as the party moved ever onwards through the tunnel, the hypnotic patterns of light cast on the walls showing all the world that the researchers would ever need comprehend.

[OOC] This would've been so much easier if I'd started in a damn sea...  I'm running out of interesting things that might live or grow in this puddle I'm currently sitting in.

I was planning on founding a new citadel in that lovely little space that's opened up recently, and just leaving the current citadel as a sort of pilgramage, but I'm having a hard time finding a way of getting settlers from point A to point B, without just holding their breath and sprinting.  Now that would be something to see.[/OOC]

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »

(OOC: I bet most of us have forgot that this is a god game, and that godly powers can be used. If you dont want to do any major world changing stuff you can always just use that 'underground water filled passageway' that links your small lake and the large sea. Otherwise simply wave your hand and il create a river from your citadel to the lake. Infact, I think il do that, might add a bit more interest to the world.)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2008, 01:53:00 pm »

Nice thread.  I would join in if A)I could RP worth a damn. B)it wasn't so late into it. C)I wasn't worried about what happened last time I joined in one of these.

Nice map by the way.

EDIT10:42 EST: NOOOO! I killed it!   :(

[ February 12, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2008, 12:58:00 am »

[OOC]What's this blighter on about?  Someone get him a chair, there's some room left.

Mayhaps some desert dwellers in that sandpit in the northeast?  Seems like it's one of the few areas left with enough space to allow for some expansion this late in the game.

Not that anyone else has expanded much, aside from Dark...  Heck, that cave of terminator kobolds is still snoozing away in the mountains, so I don't think a new startup contender will stand out too much.[/OOC]

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22