Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FOR SCIENCE  (Read 1272 times)

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FOR SCIENCE
« on: August 24, 2010, 02:57:18 pm »

this is a thread for crazy dwarven experiments you havent had time for, or have been reluctant to attempt, or havent had the resources or proper circumstances for.

to begin, i was wondering what would happen if i tried to catapult a restrained animal with a drawbridge.

Also whether demons can be encased in ice.
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FOR SCIENCE
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 02:59:22 pm »

Also whether demons can be encased in ice.

The only sutuation in which this wouldn't be possible is if the demon was on fire. Hell, I've had creatures with a fixed temperature of absolute zero freeze themselves to death by falling in a pool.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 03:04:03 pm »

Im wondering if you could freeze demons to death on a cold map.
Would need a deep hole to get the cold down there though.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 06:11:27 pm »

Im wondering if you could freeze demons to death on a cold map.
Would need a deep hole to get the cold down there though.
... or a readily accessible path to (near the) surface where they emerge in a pit ready for flooding with water ... in winter. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 06:17:04 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if demons all had really low colddam points (and thus immune to temperature alone), but I'm too lazy to go generate a world with uncompressed data so I can go check.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 08:04:22 pm »

Probably not a fun experiment, but here's one that I've been wanting to do but have been too lazy to.

Hunch: Fortifications immersed in water do not block pathing at all to aquatic or amphibious creatures.

Reason: Trader of an amphibious caste once appeared to try to make their way into a fortress through fortification blocked underwater channels.  (trader died from unrelated plumbing before success)

Test: Mod dwarven traders and pack animals to be amphibious, build a fortress so that the only trade depot access is through a fortification-ed underwater channel.  See if the traders can path to the depot.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 08:06:30 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:50:57 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if demons all had really low colddam points (and thus immune to temperature alone), but I'm too lazy to go generate a world with uncompressed data so I can go check.

Months ago, I scanned a bunch of uncompressed demons and listed all their immunities in their wiki page.  It's not neatly arranged, and definitely needs some wiki magic, but among the stats I found was total immunity to cold and heat damage.  Absolute zero won't even phase them.  I believing ice encasing works on non-flame demons, though.
I'm not sure about catapulting a restrained animal: try that and post results.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 01:49:06 pm »

Nuclear catsplosion 2.0.

Haven't really figured out how to do it with the new raws, but I haven't exactly tried. I have a feeling that it's simply no longer possible. Won't keep me from trying one bored night though!

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 03:14:21 pm »

Speaking of aquatic civs, is it possible to make aquatic or flying dorfs and eliminate the need for stairs and ramps completely? Imagine an underground, landlocked fortress for aquatic dorfs (snorfs?) filled with water from an aquifer, or one on the coast but above sea level, filled with pumped water. This all assumes that aquatic dorfs would airdrown.

Also, instead of trying to harvest mermaids as they are (i.e. naive innocents) has anyone tried modding them to be another civ? Not sure about ethics (afaik you can't make it ok to use one particular race's remains for crafts without making it ok to use them all) but just imagine elves, if elves had a modvalue of 50 and you could cook them.

Also, speaking of using remains, has anyone thought of modding a civ for fort mode with bones or other parts that can be crafted into weapons? I understand you can do this in adventure mode due to a bug, but imagine a fortress guard armed with swords forged from metallized dragon bone, or platemail from treated GCS chitin.

Or mugs made from wooden elf bone.

Oh! Is it possible to use sentient remains in reactions even if crafting is disallowed? Or are reactions considered crafting?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 03:33:57 pm »

Speaking of aquatic civs, is it possible to make aquatic or flying dorfs and eliminate the need for stairs and ramps completely? Imagine an underground, landlocked fortress for aquatic dorfs (snorfs?) filled with water from an aquifer, or one on the coast but above sea level, filled with pumped water. This all assumes that aquatic dorfs would airdrown.

Aquatic playable races don't work as they don't have the correct pathfinding (you'll just get a lot of "Cancels job: Dangerous terrain" spam). Flying civvers didn't work very well at all in 40d (playable, traders, and siegers all had bugs of some sort or another), and I know that's not entirely rectified in .31.

Also, instead of trying to harvest mermaids as they are (i.e. naive innocents) has anyone tried modding them to be another civ? Not sure about ethics (afaik you can't make it ok to use one particular race's remains for crafts without making it ok to use them all) but just imagine elves, if elves had a modvalue of 50 and you could cook them.

Wouldn't work as aquatic creatures can't make overworld sites. It's possible for a site to be accidentally constructed underwater if placed on a beach (this often happens if the civ tries to settle on what's technically an ocean biome, but is actually land), but there's no such thing as an undersea civ site.

Oh! Is it possible to use sentient remains in reactions even if crafting is disallowed? Or are reactions considered crafting?

Should be quite possible. I may be wrong, though.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 05:43:56 pm »

Catapulting restrained animals generally just detaches them from their restraint and catapults them as normal.
Collapsing the floor a restrained animal is standing on also causes it to be detached from the restraint and fall normally.
Being hit by critical blunt strikes (in 40d, not sure if still possible) also detaches from restraint and they go flying as normal.

Restraint aren't very strong it seems.