Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Today (Saturday) or just next week?

I want to play today, or I'm willing to skip an episode.
- 11 (57.9%)
I'm not willing to skip an episode.
- 8 (42.1%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: Survivors [D&D 3.5]  (Read 18234 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Survivors [D&D 3.5]
« on: August 23, 2010, 08:27:07 pm »

This campaign will run on vanilla D&D 3.5 rules with a non-standard setting.  Games will take place via gametable sometime this week (most likely starting around 8-11pm GMT).  I am looking for 3-5 players.  Starting level is level 1 if D&D.  Any non-LA race is allowed.

Stats are generated by point buy with 25 points to distribute.  Yeah, low-power characters.  There's a pretty good reason for that.  Oh, and equipment?  You each have 20gp to spend on equipment that isn't specifically class-related.  Class related equipment you can take up to 50gp in, but it's the property of your master rather than you.  Yeah, you're poor.  Unless you're an aristocrat (see Class details).

Any base class is allowed, including NPC classes.  If anyone picks Commoner as a class, they are a brave man and I salute them, but they will have to play smart to survive.

You are all residents of the city of Renzi, and the city is all you have known throughout your life.  Maybe here and there you had the trip to the odd town or village, but Renzi is home and you rarely ventured long beyond its walls.  Furthermore, you are all children - well, not quite.  You rest on the cusp of childhood and adulthood, for humans around the age of 14.  Some of you are from better backgrounds than others, but all of you are put to work (even if that work is study or apprenticeship).  The one thing you have in common is that each of you is a part of the same gang.  It's not a big gang, and mostly you just look out for each other, but it's yours.  For some of you, it might be the only thing that's yours in the whole world.

When creating your character's background, make sure to mention what job they work in (even if that job is 'pickpocket'), as well as details about their immediate family (parents, siblings) and what they do for a living.  State the level of wealth your family has (middle-class, working, poor, dirt-poor, rich, absurdly rich), but try to keep it proportional to their profession.  For preference, state what your character loves, hates and fears.  All of your family and whatever contacts you work with live or at least work in the city itself - no venturing off to a far-away druidic grove.  The druids have a small grove in the city park, but that's as far as it goes.

Spoiler: Known World Background (click to show/hide)

Characters

Spoiler: Tyu Cerusa (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Olaf Grad'ko (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Veya al'Bayd (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Meerga the Wrangler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sven da Renzi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rala Matus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Warren Petty (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 01:36:29 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Survivors [D&D 3.5]
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 10:53:46 pm »

I am, alas, already somewhat well endowed with DnD sessions, though this sounds like an intriguing idea and I would love to try to powergame with a commoner...
I would probably only participate if there was a shortage of players, though if I were to be involved, I would prefer a starting time of 11 to 8...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 11:00:16 pm »

Out of interest, what sort of level would we reach at the end?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 11:17:20 pm »

I am definitely interested, considering that the dnd game I'm in is on hold for a while. I'll probably be a cleric, and ah, i'll throw up my history soon.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 12:47:11 am »

I"ll be a Commoner Lizardwoman
White scales, Green eyes.
Stats...
Str:11
Dex:16
Con:7
Int:14
Wis:7
Cha:15
Name: Tyu Cerusa.
Background:
Tyu is a 14 yr. old Lizardfolk who was born in and abanboned in Renzi, having only a human man, Biburu Vlasko, raise her until she was 11 when he suddenly vanished, not much of an uproar started as no one knew him and Tyu quickly moved on, doing mercenary training, but unable to get any jobs due to being only proficient with wooden crafts and hitting with a weighted box and rope. Poor Tyu couldn't quite grasp why a weighted ball was do different from a weighted box. But alas, anyone who could hire her did, and didn't bother giving her a job, forcing her into poverty, not thinking of selling crafts or her box and rope. However, she did once attempt stealing from the church. But only once. It was a small vial of am unknown elixir. She thought of returning it, but instead, she impulsively quaffed the mysterious substance. Stones started to randomly appear and crumble to dust. As this strange event wore itsef down to subtility, she began to learn how to create and shatter stones, with the power she doesn't even think is magic.
So then i might only have:
Conjure rock, roll for size.
Dispel stone, shatter a physical fom, or an escence of stone.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:05:39 pm by iceball3 »

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 02:37:10 am »

How does the dragonfire adept sound?

Book: Dragon Magic P24-29 (Including fluff)

You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 07:12:13 am »

Iceball, be sure to fill in background info as it will have a significant impact on the campaign.  Commoner Lizardwoman is fine (and you are certainly brave, but don't feel obligated to be a Commoner just because I said so!) - your family is a clan of emigrated lizardfolk from the distant jungles of Dian, thousands of miles away.  Other than that, background as you please.

Wolfchild  - Granted, but you are either a kobold or have a kobold master.  Furthermore, once you get to 2nd level or higher you are going to have to make a deliberate effort to conceal yourself, as this class is not 'accepted' by the Church and unless you can pass yourself off as a lizardman you're going to get lynched.  NB:  If you're a kobold you have scales anyway, so you can get away with that physical change.

Level-wise will depend on how long the game continues for.  It would be nice to get to levels 8-10 - for clarity the highest level character in Renzi is level 12.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:13:49 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 07:28:05 am »

I actually dont mind the kobold race, il gen that char onto myth weavers, also you did not mention what day you want, it could make a difference,

but since im going to be 1 i have to ask for this (if you say no it's fine still make mostly the same char, i just think its cool)

DRAGONWROUGHT
You were born a dragonwrought kobold, proof of your race’s innate connection to dragons.
Prerequisites: Kobold, 1st level only.
Benefit: You are a dragon wrought kobold. Your type is dragon rather than humanoid, and you lose the dragonblood subtype. You retain all your other subtypes and your kobold racial traits. Your scales become tinted with a color that matches that of your draconic heritage. As a dragon, you are immune to magic sleep and paralysis effects. You have darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision. You gain a +2 racial bonus on the skill indicated for your draconic heritage on the table on page 103.
Special: Unlike most feats, this feat must be taken at 1st level, during character creation. Having this feat allows you to take the Dragon Wings feat at 3rd level.

and so you know what its talking about

DRAGON WINGS
Your draconic ancestry manifests as a pair of wings that aid your jumps and allow you to glide.
Prerequisites: Dragonblood subtype, 1st level only.
Benefit: You have wings that aid your jumps, granting a +10 racial bonus on Jump checks. In addition, you can use your wings to glide, negating damage from a fall from any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. You glide at a speed of 30 feet with average maneuverability. Even if your maneuverability improves, you can’t hover while gliding. You can’t glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If you become unconscious or helpless while in midair, your wings naturally unfurl, and powerful ligaments stiffen them. You descend in a tight corkscrew and take only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
Special: Unlike most feats, this feat must be taken at 1st level, during character creation. A kobold with the Dragonwrought feat can take this feat at 3rd level.

Although prob wont take the second one, from the description of your'e world (Unless I am feeling suicidal at lvl 3)

EDIT (didnt want to doubble post): I have made a small excell file (planing to increase its scope) that at the moment helps with doing point buy, if anyone can tell me where i can put it up on the web il do that
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:40:54 am by wolfchild »
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 07:43:40 am »

Name: Olaf Grad'ko
Race: Orc
Class: Barbarian
STR: 18
DEX: 8
CON: 18
INT: 6
WIS: 3
CHA: 8

Olaf was always the subject of discusion whenever he was near, mainly because of his heritage, but also because of what he can do. His strength got him into trouble, and his lack of intellect magnified that, being arrested on things he knew nothing about. He could only do simple tasks but could do them well, earning a small wage hauling goods to and from warehouses to the stalls at the market, he took back alleys so as not to be seen. He didn't earn much but saved every scrap peice, enough to buy food to survive. When he turned 11 Olaf stumbled upon an old man, but still ripling with muscles, he dropped the crate he was carrying, and it smashed open showing the contents: steel swords. When the man saw how incredibly strong this young boy was, he took him under his wing, teaching him to harness the strength he has. His master gave him some money to buy his own equipment, and Olaf ran off to the market, buying the things his master instructed, when he came back, his master tought him in the ways of a Barbarian.

Equpment: Steel Battle Ax (d8+4 (x3))
               Steel Shoulder Plates

Skills: 4Jump 2Climb 2Swim
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 03:11:36 pm by Evergod41 »

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 08:13:33 am »

Character So far

Still gotta work on the backstory, and all in all very ordinary constitution for a dragonfire adept, still should be fun (im assuming you are allowing dragonwrought), if you dont allow itm the feat will be

ABILITY FOCUS(Breath Weapon)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 08:22:49 am »

Dragonwrought is fine - as a dragonfire adept you will need to undergo special rituals to enable your various powers as you level up - this is likely to be standard for most class abilities, by the by - you may need to find training or set up self-training.

Mythology note on dragons:  Dragons are said to be long dead, the last of them hunted to extinction in the West more than a century ago.  The few that are said to still be alive have retreated either to the great deserts of Kobblar or the high mountains of Goblinguo.  Most races agree that this is for the best, since all mythology paints them as cruel, rapacious beasts responsible for the deaths of thousands and the destruction of whole cities.  The Church demonises them utterly, particularly given their deity status amongst the Kobolds and other (now converted) races.

Therefore, it is pretty easy to understand why dragonfire adepts are going to be heavily discriminated against.  You want power?  Fine, but just be ready to pay the social penalties.  Also, the wings thing at 3rd level is fine (you'll need to unlock it with a rite) but I suggest hiding them under a cloak when not using them.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 08:26:02 am »

i was planing on not taking the wings, just put em there for completness, and thanks for the background, just infinity more to go

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 08:49:08 am »

how would you like the history of our characters to be played out? all facts or fluff & stuff?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 08:58:00 am »

Not sure what you mean.  General overview of your family and background, please, bearing in mind you've never gone far beyond the city and you're still 14.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 09:19:31 am »

Decided to throw together a character, only have a few ideas about the backstory, nothing solid, basically the whole orphan bit without being an orphan... Can we use traits and flaws from the SRD? I have included what I would take, but not adjusted the stats to account for them, so there is no issue with removing them...

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=234942
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23