Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 193

Author Topic: Godhood III OOC Thread  (Read 107993 times)

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Godhood III OOC Thread
« Reply #2760 on: March 01, 2011, 12:34:48 pm »

While I sort things out and combat my addiction to doing nothing useful at all;
We have ONE more spot left, and several people willing to fill it. Same rules as the contest will apply for you people. I'll read any new applications through Sunday. This will also give me the time I'll need to start setting up yet another Godhood.

I am not sure whether I can really use the card-game style of managing the game. While it seems nice and organized, and perhaps less vague, I will once again have even more to keep track of, like the amount of cards someone has, and what kinds of cards they are.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: March 01, 2011, 01:53:59 pm »

Nah, the card thing doesn't work for forum Godhood, and, as Fortis pointed out, it's a bit restricting anyhow.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: March 01, 2011, 03:22:14 pm »

Oh thats it I am going to make a story give me a bit.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: March 01, 2011, 03:49:16 pm »

Well here is my story

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: March 03, 2011, 06:48:08 am »

Anybody else planning on writing something for the last spot?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: March 03, 2011, 03:51:07 pm »

Well after four more hours of work I think this is really good.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: March 03, 2011, 03:57:21 pm »

I think it's still a little low on punctuation, but it's getting better, man. You have good ideas, you just need a little grammar work. ;)

See, see, the winky face makes everything better.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: March 03, 2011, 03:59:51 pm »

I know can someone help me with where I can put extra punctuation ? I put it in Office Word, and was able to add and fix a few problems, but I still can not see where I can add more. ( I am very bad at English. Well I only got a 91 in my English 1 Honors class )

Atilliano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: March 03, 2011, 04:40:45 pm »

Well after four more hours of work I think this is really good.

I think this is a little better if were looking on comma's:

This story is one about the God of Earth, one of the most caring gods there was, his name was Kain, and he was called The Shield for The Weak. He is father of the dwarves, and the Golems, but he was also the Father of a grand race. He treated his creations with love unlike many other gods. Now, let us begin.
When I was born, my first thought was “I must make something to be my child." and so I, Kain the Shield for the Weak created a goal to make many creations, and they would be my children for me to love and care for. My first creations were the dwarves, a short, stout, and hopeful race.
They were my first children and I loved them, and protected them for as long as I could. They loved me too, and we lived in peace for many years. I knew that someday I would meet another god or goddess that would wish to change my creations, and I knew that I would let them for they needed to change and move beyond my protective grasp to ever truly become free from me.
The first goddess I met was unique and none would be like her, for at that moment I felt a feeling gods do not usually feel. The feeling I felt was love, I do not know why, but this goddess I loved for some reason beyond my reach I wished for her to live with me, and watch over my children alongside me. Just as swiftly as she arrived she left and my next creation arises, the Golems, they were magnificent creations, and unique beyond all else, but the dwarves. Yes, they were just mindless guards, but I made them that way because one day they would be my strongest soldier in a war that involved all the gods in this world.
In the end, nothing mattered for the life energy of the Great Goddess drained away, and as I lay there dying, my last thought was of that goddess who would never know the way I felt, and how my children would never again have me to protect them.

Before me were the elders of the dwarf race, and as I died I saw tears fall down their faces. The power began to drain out of me, and I knew I had little time left, so to my children the last words I spoke were “Goodbye my children, I loved you remember that always for it will give you power beyond that of others, and the power you will feel is hope, and love. I leave you now, but someday I will return in a moment of when your race is about to die, I will return, and with my last breath I will save you. The cost for this act will be my life, but I care not for you I love beyond all else, but one, and she dies with me today.”, and with that, the earth engulfed him and deep into the Womb was I thrust until I came to the home of the goddess. There I died the last thing I saw was the one I loved. That is the story of our Father Kain.
There was an elderly dwarf now standing in front of a fire which was surrounded by many dwarf children. The old man stood there a while and then said “One day we will see him again, that is what we wait for, and that is what we shall always wait for.” No dwarf would ever know that their father loved another more than them.

Thus the story of the dwarf father Kain, the only god to ever show true love to his creations ends, but he will never be forgotten for he left behind a strong people, the dwarves, and their guardians, the Golems. May he rest in peace with the other gods, who have died for the life of the Overgoddess has faded away, and with it went the gods.

I corrected something like 15 places where there could probably be comma's, tell me if some of them were wrong.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: March 03, 2011, 04:48:21 pm »

Thank you I ahve alot of truble with comma's

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: March 03, 2011, 06:53:52 pm »

The way I write, I try to write as if I was telling the story to someone verbally. So in a story when you would pause for just a second, use a comma. If the pause is too long for a comma and too short for a period, use a semicolon; and, if you want to interject something -usually something tangential to the issue at hand- surround it with hyphens.

English is complicated, even more so when written down. I hear Chinese is surprisingly easy, but seeing as I've yet to ever leave the Northwestern hemisphere I can't say for certain. Is english your first language?

Also, "Only" 91%?????????

Dude that's pretty friggin' high. Higher than I got, anyways. And in honors too. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. Congrats bro.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: March 03, 2011, 07:06:05 pm »

I lay in the ash, waiting.  Not ten feet away I could hear the beast breathing and prayed that he could not hear the same.  The hoarse, heavy breaths grew closer and I gripped the broken hilt of my sword.  Would this be the day the Lady finally struck me down?

My name is Navarre.  I am a soldier.  I was born a farmer in an innocent village you never heard of, a quiet place where we prayed to a god nobody remembers, a quaint little stone figure on the shrine.  We begged for all the things farmers dream of, for rain and greater harvests, for protection from blight, and we burnt grains and fowl as offerings to placate him.  The arrangement seemed to work; it was far from perfect, but we were comfortable and untroubled.  I was content but not happy, as any young boy who had not found his fate might feel.

In a song such as a storyteller or soothsayer might sing, my village would of course be burned to the ground on the day I found my fate and I would raise my father's ploughshare against the attackers or be kidnapped and made a gladiatorial slave, fighting my way to freedom.  Certainly the scholars who write about me would prefer that.  Alas, I must disappoint; I found my fate in a recruiting band as any other young soldier.  Bored of my comfortable life and afraid of never seeing the world, I joined the army of a distant king in search of excitement.

I received it, along with terror, bloodshed and the glory and spoils of war.  In that band of warriors we would pray the night before battle to a goddess named Lif, a serpent-headed queen of knives and nightmares, seeking victory.  Often it was granted, though nearly always at cost.  I fought until that king was no more, whereupon I joined the army of his conquerer and gave blessings to a great wolf named Sharl.  His army turned upon itself and I broke away under a mercenary captain who hailed a masked god called Kathran, but prayed secretly to the gold-garlanded Bu-Ral, the Merchant King.  And so on and so forth, I fought and survived and became a sought-after general for my survival.

The eve came of a great battle, the greatest that might ever have been fought - my patron and master's Empire struck at the last of his opposition, a pitched battle against the armies of five allied kingdoms.  My plans were prepared, my soldiers primed for the fight.  It came time to offer sacrifice and shed blood, in the hope that less might be shed the day to follow.  The beasts were slain, the incense burned and I was to choose which of the many gods to place our trust in.

I fought for many years and prayed to many different faces and guises, but each seemed to listen as well as any other.  I called out my sacrifice not to any god so named, not to any painted face or idol, but to the god behind them all.  I called to the god who was mistress of all war and strife and offered our sacrifices to her.

I may have been the only one to see her.  The men were confused by my words and grew silent, considering it an ill omen, but as they muttered amongst themselves I spied a woman at the furthest end of the hall, draped in red.  She locked eyes with me and held my gaze until the men had recovered and song and laughter filled the great hall again, then turned and left without a word.

The day came and our armies made our battle cries upon the field.  We rushed to meet one another, each trusting to the gods we had paid homage to the night before.  Before we could lock blows, however, the very earth broke apart beneath our feet.  A great crack divided the field and from it burst beasts of smoke and fire, winged half-men whose very screams drove men mad.  The creatures spread like a plague across the battlefield, slaughtering both sides indiscriminately.

I alone survived, fighting and killing the creatures until they fled the battlefield in search of fresher prey.  I sank to my knees, alone amongst a thousand thousand corpses, and wept.  All strength seemed to leave me - and then I saw her again.  A red-cowled figure in the mists.  She caught my gaze once again, then tilted her head back and laughed.  Burning auburn hair flowed freely in the winds and I saw her face; beautiful, yet terrible.  There was no cruelty in that laugh, but there was madness and pride.  The mist thickened until only the laugh remained - that too faded with time.

I launched myself upward, thrusting with the broken blade.  The beast lashed out with its claws.  Hot pain scored my shoulder, but hotter blood ran down my arms from the creature's chest.  I twisted the steel shaft, the beast's scream deafening in my ears but boiling blood flowing all the more freely for it.  I stumbled to one side in time to avoid the twitching carcass crushing me beneath its weight, then sank to my knees and dug the sword into the ground for support.  The Lady continued my punishment still.  I lived - and I knew that for so long as I did, the beasts would roam.  If I died, perhaps the Lady might draw them back to whatever hell had spawned them, but only if I died in battle.  I rested, searched in vain for a new weapon, then set out regardless.  There were plenty left to kill.

The Lady is a jealous creature.  She chooses her lovers well, but she will not suffer to be known by those who have not found her themselves.  She is capricious, she is dangerous - but she is as much as part of this world as sun and sea.  Beware, ye who seek her, for her favour and fury go hand in hand.

Yeah, this is quite short.  I've sprained my left wrist and my hand is in a brace, so typing is fairly slow for me today.  =P
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: March 03, 2011, 07:07:12 pm »

We get three points just for it being honors, and yes english is my first language I live in Tennesse.

I just lost didn't I ?

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: March 03, 2011, 07:13:45 pm »

We get three points just for it being honors, and yes english is my first language I live in Tennesse.

I just lost didn't I ?
Technically no, since there are no competitors... but it's still a possibility you aren't let in. But I highly doubt it, I like the whole idea of an earth god speaking without much punctuation. Just to speed things along.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: March 03, 2011, 07:40:49 pm »

Anybody else planning on writing something for the last spot?

I want to, but I can't make the time. :(
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 193