Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 193

Author Topic: Godhood III OOC Thread  (Read 108116 times)

Demantiae

• Bay Watcher
  • Goddess of Earth, Awakener of the Primordial
    • View Profile
Re: Godhood III OOC Thread
« Reply #2490 on: January 01, 2011, 09:53:55 am »

Hey it's not my fault! Someone chose to uplift a race from savages to the steel age! Has nobody heard of culture shock :D. What we have with the dwarves is a barbarian culture with access to some pretty advanced technology delivered to them by the three prophets of Akiel. To me it seemed natural that they would rule. Essentially the dwarven culture is still the same, the only real cultural changes made have been the introduction of the Dwarflaw (stolen from the Danelaw!) and the teaching of those technologies to each individual. The Nesharanites still follow the old beliefs of spirits and the like. The Rest of the dwarves are realizing the old ways are no longer relevent because Akiel is giving them everything they need. Sociologically they're still barbarian only that now they're evolving into a technocratic culture with those having the most skill becoming tyrants of sorts (a tyrany based on the beliefs of Akiel so they don't demand dumb things like enormous taxes they just insist everyone learn the technologies).

I did take some liberties with time but I'm thinking time for the gods is sort of fluid. With an unknown length for each turn and things happening all over the place (which may not all be happening simultaneously) I figured it wouldn't be a big issue to treat time as non-linear. If this is a pain to follow I can easily revert to a more traditional linear narrative if you like.

Adwarf you can do things that don't require acts if you like. You could even do something that did require an act and push a little further if it's something good or neccessary. Even fi there are consequences that could be fun to write about. You could write about the dwarves if you like and leave Kain in his tomb or you could write about the golems. Unless of course you enjoy watching others mess with your creations :) I'm trying to steer Neshara away from doing anything requiring acts. I've pushed the cart out a little with a couple of divinely inspired dreams but I figured that gods being pretty powerful could communicate with individual mortals without expending power. It might require an act to send a dream to an entire culture but I think I can get away with it for a couple individuals! Guiding those exodus dwarves into the depths of the earth should be intresting with no acts to help them!

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: January 01, 2011, 09:57:27 am »

I did not state I was angry. I only stated it would give me something else to keep in mind.

Just for clarity: non-linear timelines are alright, as long as you do not overthrow the entire timeframe by, for example, advancing things for years. A year, sure. That's alright. Of course I'd like you to take care to make sure it does not in fact interrupt an event that is happening in another timeline. (Like having the Dwarves now interact with Dordrath.)
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: January 02, 2011, 11:43:05 am »

Did you just call my dwarves barbarians BARBARIANS MY DWARVES ARE NOT BARBARIANS

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: January 02, 2011, 11:44:51 am »

Sorry I had to do that lmfao

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: January 02, 2011, 11:52:51 am »

Beardbarians.
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: January 02, 2011, 11:58:39 am »

Ok my post is up and I do say It is one of my best yet.  :P

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: January 02, 2011, 11:58:44 am »

Did you just call my dwarves barbarians BARBARIANS MY DWARVES ARE NOT BARBARIANS

Wait.. So your dwarves are greeks?  ;)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: January 02, 2011, 12:00:05 pm »

No they are Dwarves and "This Is Mountainhome" hypothetically kick Lordinquisitor in to dwarvenly pit

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: January 03, 2011, 06:57:30 am »

Hello, I'm very sandy..and just woke up..I hope we can be...MORTAL FOES! or friends..that works too.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Raggle Fraggle

Demantiae

• Bay Watcher
  • Goddess of Earth, Awakener of the Primordial
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: January 03, 2011, 07:50:53 am »

I know the term barbarian is technically inacurate, being a Roman slur for those who didn't build roads and aqueducts like themselves but the reasoning is still relevant. Until Akiel gave them technology the dwarves were hunter-gatherers whilst the humans of Dordrath and the Northren of the north were fashioning arms and armour of iron. Comparatively the dwarves were barbarians! And despite some of them now having some technical skills you can't go from a hunter-gatherer society to fully fledged civilized nation within a couple months or even years. Culturally they'd still be barabrians compared to the more evolved societies. Just barbarians with some advanced skills and some new idea's of governance and social order.

Barbarian doesn't mean rampaging brute with no sense for a greater society, it just means lacking the social and technological sophistication of the more advanced cultures.  :)

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: January 03, 2011, 07:56:53 am »

I know the term barbarian is technically inacurate, being a RomanGreek slur for those who didn't build roads and aqueductsspeak Greek like themselves but the reasoning is still relevant.
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: January 03, 2011, 08:00:19 am »

Thinking about a new post.. By now i think there should be some worshippers of Rahisael at the peak of blood; And i assume that they learned to collaborate with the wargaz.

Still, today i`m getting drunk again..

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: January 03, 2011, 12:59:46 pm »

Man, I've been out of it for a while. I want to get posting again, but I need to catch up. Can anyone give me a quick summary?

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: January 03, 2011, 02:09:48 pm »

Where did you space out again?
Spider Overhaul

Godhood VIII

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: January 03, 2011, 04:47:28 pm »

The meeting with Phera at her heaven.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 193