Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 193

Author Topic: Godhood III OOC Thread  (Read 108352 times)

Demantiae

• Bay Watcher
  • Goddess of Earth, Awakener of the Primordial
    • View Profile
Re: Godhood III OOC Thread
« Reply #2160 on: December 02, 2010, 06:39:21 am »

Spoon:  When I develop the patience to plot out stories and character design in advance.

I like the interactivity of web based RPG's. I'm very fussy over what I read and when it comes to writing I can't just sit down and write something without there being an end result for others to interact with. I'm guessing Iituem is similar in this regard.

Demantiae:  You might have to hold off using that spider, as it's a direct manifestation of Jack in disguise (I am pretty much hoping against hope that the others won't godmode [irony] and instantly detect his presence, as this sort of ruins the ability for this one guy to develop Blood Magic long enough to come to a point of confrontation with his betters).  There will be other spiders this turn, though.

What I was thinking doesn't involve using thta spider as a character but using the idea of "The Spider" as a mystical/philosophical component of one of the acts I intend to do. Of course it will likely give you some sway over what I do but a lot of the work of various gods gets influenced by the others, it's the way of things!

Magic as Art, Magic as Technology

I forgot about Arcanum but in that mythos magic and tech are mutually exclusive, you can't blend the two effectively (you'd be weak in both if you did).

I like to view the art form of magic as a means to open yourself up to the mystical energies of the world. I never liked the 3rd ED D&D idea of sorcerers who can use magic simply because they have some strange magical blood in them. It's like how the Starwars mythos is destroyed by the idea that all Jedi are pre-determined at birth. Where's the effort or the heroism in that? With those sorcerers you don't even need to try, your gonna be a sorcerer regardless. I like the idea that people can attune themselves to the magic, open themselves up, awaken their minds or however else you choose to do it. Power comes through practice and through becoming more intune/open/awake over time. The sorts of magic suited to this are chaneling where you become merely a conduit and shaper for the energies you control, magic involving charms and influencing the minds/souls of men and animals, transformation magic, divinations, spirit communication, thigns like that. I personally don't feel it lends itself to shooting fireballs or extorting favours from demons or creating magical artifacts.

Blood Magic

Don't forget that Blood Magic can be used as a strong basis for a form of alchemy (this is something Neshara will develop considerably as it's perfect for her character).

In a D&D campaign I ran I used the idea of necromancy (in it's broadest sense) as the basis of all magic. There was black, white, red, blue and green necromancy. Of them all red was concerned with blood magic and controling the souls of living beings through their blood. It used typical blood magic abilities such as boiling others blood and extending life but it was heavily concerned with blood curses and charms that could infect whole generations of people. Every form of magic in this world affected the soul of something via one of the 5 necromantic paths (black was generally destroying souls or trapping them, white was healing/relieving them and used divine energy, green revolved around the souls of plants, animals and the world and was essentially druidism and blue revolved around the souls of beings alien to the world).

Edit:  Also, more criticisms please.  Praise is awesome and necessary, but doesn't help me improve.

Erm, darker please! I don't feel the true sense of murderlust from Jack. He's too close to his *gasp* brother for my liking! He should IMO be a little cruler a little more sadistic and take more pleasure from killing. Unless Jack is intended to be taking inspiration from a different source (like the Euphanatos in Mage: The Ascension) and is meant to be the divine balancing force that weeds out the weak and unworthy souls from the world (in which case he might be less whimsical).

Use The Spider more, it's one of the best incarnations of the game so far.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: December 02, 2010, 08:08:23 am »

Diverting the topic in the fine tradition of Godhood's OOC threads...

Magic being related to blood ties more or less directly back to the ideas of feudalism, noble birth and divine right.  If magic is possible only a result of having special blood, you are encouraging the idea that one caste of people is necessarily better than another.  This may or may not work depending on the story.  Often it won't, but the Harry Potter series is a fantastic example of where it does because the entire story isn't so much about wizards as racial intolerance and superiority (I'll admit, I did not see that one coming!).  In HP, this works particularly well since Rowling foreshadows this right from the first book with the attitudes of House Slytherin.

With regard to the Arcanum mythos what I meant to explain but forgot was that whilst technology in Arcanum was all about creating things (one item, one specific purpose, useable by anyone), magic was a force/tool used by the mage (multiple uses from the same source, could be bent to one's will to fit a specific circumstance, usable only by the mage).

I like writing RPGs, and I'll probably post a token one sometime.  They are an awful lot of work to design, though, even moreso than an ordinary story.

I agree, Jack certainly does seem rather 'nice' for a god of death and murder, which is somewhat ironic since he considers himself to be quite evil.  Mostly I just haven't really had the opportunity or inclination to screw anyone (mortal or deity) over yet.  On the other hand, Jack doesn't take a lot of pleasure from killing.  Bear in mind he sees the perspective of both killer and killed, a perspective sorely lacking in his brothers.  As a result, Jack is generally both more angry and sorrowful at his lot (compare his rant at Nativa vs his empathy for Estriss' guilt) than desiring dethdethdeth.  I really want to leave that to Khan and Rahisael, for whom wanton bloodshed is really their whole shtick.  Jack is about the highly personal nature of murder, and hopefully that should show.

Edit: Actually, I did attempt to write an online serial, inspired by the writer of Migrursut's own attempts.  That will probably start again from scratch in the new year, so I'll plug a link when it happens.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 10:02:19 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2162 on: December 02, 2010, 10:43:59 am »

Okay, I was wrong. I don't think I can actually keep up with this. There are simply too many people playing.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: December 02, 2010, 11:11:50 am »

Noo!  Why so?  Is it because it's literally hard to keep track of everything?

Edit:  Also, I'd like to make an OOC request - would somebody please take up the mantles of Travel and Trade?  I'm looking at those deities who are already somewhat related (Kastheen, Amparos etc).  The world does have trade, but nothing particularly special has been done with it and there's so much that can be played with!  Were it not that it would basically violate the character of Jack I'd have started on trade 2-3 turns ago, but as it is it really hasn't come to the fore.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2164 on: December 02, 2010, 11:29:14 am »

Yes, its like reading 8 novels at once and I have to check back 3-4 times a day to stay current. Frankly I don't have the time or energy.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: December 02, 2010, 11:51:17 am »

Think before you join next time. This kind of shit gives us false hope. :/

What exactly did you have in mind for Trade or Travel, Iituem? I don't know what you'd like us to do with them. I can't really see Amparos spending Acts to help along mortal trade, but oh well.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2166 on: December 02, 2010, 11:55:51 am »

So sorry to slightly inconvenience you. This just reinforces my decision, thanks.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: December 02, 2010, 11:59:47 am »

Okay, yeah, doesn't really fit Amparos either.  God of Invention could probably be more helpful here, but think about the effects that trade has had on civilisation.  Even ignoring simple aspects like bringing goods, culture and ideas from one end of the world to another, trade has been responsible for the development of accountancy, banking, entire professional classes, roads, canals, barges, better ships, standing armies (because they need supplying and building), cross-continental relations, exploration, diplomacy, peace and war.  So yeah, there's a fairly fertile ground to be working with there.

P.S.  Eh, just flit to the summaries at the turn end, it works.  When I haven't the time/energy to read through all the fluff, I tend to go straight to the (i]hopefully![/i]) bold at the end of the post.  If there wasn't any bold, the post wasn't important!  Well, strategically.  I left out the bold on the last post I did because I'm going to have, like, three more bits to add to it anyway.  >_<

P.P.S.  If your intent was to encourage him to stay, probably not helping there. >_<

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: December 02, 2010, 12:05:07 pm »

Well, Rahisael just ordered that one wargaz tribe to try to trade with dordrath.

I also think that trade is necessary if we want to have a world filled with more cities- And war!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: December 02, 2010, 12:12:04 pm »

It seems to me he's made up his mind. It's a shame, but if he can't keep up, there's nothing we can do.

However, forsaken, when you come back, maybe just ignore everything not related to you? You could just ask what else is going on here.

And yeah, trade is important. I do have some plans for expanding Chosen trading, but I can't really do it yet. The war will have to end first. Speaking of that, can I have a river spirit find the refugees already? You might even able to convince it to backstab the Chosen.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: December 02, 2010, 12:21:00 pm »

You really want those reforms, do you?  ;)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2171 on: December 02, 2010, 12:21:07 pm »

You can't know what is and isn't related to you unless you read everything...

Anyway, thanks for the fun times guys.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: December 02, 2010, 12:27:38 pm »

I wonder what kind of effect this might have on the Northren.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: December 02, 2010, 12:43:01 pm »

Undiplomatic, insensitive bastard.

You can't know what is and isn't related to you unless you read everything...

Anyway, thanks for the fun times guys.

If you can't keep up with it, just ask me for help!
Really. I can summarize the events related to you for you.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2174 on: December 02, 2010, 12:45:42 pm »

If you can't keep up with it, just ask me for help!
Really. I can summarize the events related to you for you.
I really didn't want to impose..
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 193